Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:37:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: missing armory address  (Read 2039 times)
manetor26 (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:12:26 AM

Hi. I guess I have created topic in a wrong place so lets continue it here. You can read about my problem in this link - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348169.0

Any help is much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 01:31:16 AM

Just hit "Receive Bitcoins" a few times, and it will calculate the next few addresses in your wallet.  Armory only shows you the addresses that it thinks you've used, and will only calculate and show the next addresses when you request it.   I thought that detection of existing transactions would mark those next addresses as "used"...   but I guess there's a bug in that logic.

The funds show up in your balances, because regardless of whether they show up in the wallet address list, the next 100 addresses are always included and tracked in blockchain scanning.  Just in case you have multiple devices using the same wallets and another device calculates and uses and address you have marked as unused.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
manetor26 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:38:17 AM

I now have 15 addresses but they all still show zero balance. Should I continue making new ones by clicking "Receive Bitcoins"?

All I did was put some money at bitcurex.com exchange it to BTC and transfer them to my wallet (3 times). Wallet was only used on my home PC, I'm sure there was no other devices that used my wallet.
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:29:13 AM

I now have 15 addresses but they all still show zero balance. Should I continue making new ones by clicking "Receive Bitcoins"?

All I did was put some money at bitcurex.com exchange it to BTC and transfer them to my wallet (3 times). Wallet was only used on my home PC, I'm sure there was no other devices that used my wallet.

What I'd recommend? Drop the wallet, make a new one with the paper wallet you made.

Unfortunately, I don't know what's going on behind the scene, but, each time you generate it it's generating index (currentAmount + 1), which, obviously isn't 1, the address you want. Backup the wallet digitally first, however, obviously.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
manetor26 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:51:23 AM

@Automatic thanks. I would like to get more info from @etotheipi before I drop my wallet or make anything after that I could make things worse. But when I have paper backup I'm safe right - I don't need this address that is missing in my wallet ? Thats the point of backup right ? I could format my whole drive - armory, other btc client, digital wallets, keys backups etc. but when I have paper backup I'm safe ? Cause I start to feel that something is seriously wrong here...
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:09:42 AM

@Automatic thanks. I would like to get more info from @etotheipi before I drop my wallet or make anything after that I could make things worse. But when I have paper backup I'm safe right - I don't need this address that is missing in my wallet ? Thats the point of backup right ? I could format my whole drive - armory, other btc client, digital wallets, keys backups etc. but when I have paper backup I'm safe ? Cause I start to feel that something is seriously wrong here...

From what I understand, yes, you'd lose any local data such as address 'comments', transaction 'comments', etc..., but, the fundamental addresses & amount would still exist.

Anyway, you probably can also try just renaming $HOME\.Armory, which, I assume is where it exists on UNIX-Like platforms, or, %APPDATA%/Armory. If anything goes wrong, you can always rename it back. Obviously, armory should be closed at the time. It will have to regenerate all databases again (But, shouldn't have to redownload it).

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
manetor26 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 10:16:24 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 10:43:58 AM by manetor26

@etotheipi what should I do now ? Should I try @Automatic ideas to resolve this problem ? Could you confirm that my funds are safe with paper backup ? I want to put my mind at ease.
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:30:53 PM

@etotheipi what should I do now ? Should I try @Automatic ideas to resolve this problem ? Could you confirm that my funds are safe with paper backup ? I want to put my mind at ease.

IF you drop your wallet, don't drop it completely.  Just move the file somewhere else, then if everything else fails you move it back, and everything should be OK.

But first:  Look at your wallet with Wallet Properties.  Are you sure that none of the three check-boxes are selected.  They are called "Hide empty", "hide change" and "hide unused".  If any of them is selected, try unselecting it.
manetor26 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:28:20 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 05:56:46 PM by manetor26

IF you drop your wallet, don't drop it completely.  Just move the file somewhere else, then if everything else fails you move it back, and everything should be OK.

Like I said before I have paper backup (first thing I did), digital backup and keys backup. I did digital backup with those new keys after @etotheipi response (I have 15 keys but still not the first one with my funds).

But first:  Look at your wallet with Wallet Properties.  Are you sure that none of the three check-boxes are selected.  They are called "Hide empty", "hide change" and "hide unused".  If any of them is selected, try unselecting it.

I did check it several times. When I peep (F3) my keys backup I can see my keys (A,B,C,D - first four I did backup) where A is my first key (with PrivBase58: xxx and PrivHexBE : xxx).

I did run bitcoin-qt without armory and there is no address, no funds. @picobit anyway thanks for your interest and reply.

I would like that armory maintainer give me some advice step by step what to do now, so I wont accidentally break something up or make things worse. If no support is given, then I will definitely use your advice. Remember that till now nobody clarified that ->paper backup = safety<- as is wrote everywhere and 95% ppl think that way. Like here - http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1bhky4/i_recovered_my_lost_bitcoins/ it's not my case but some interesting thoughts and advice is given there, definitely worth to read.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 04:22:39 PM

IF you drop your wallet, don't drop it completely.  Just move the file somewhere else, then if everything else fails you move it back, and everything should be OK.

Like I said before I have paper backup (first thing I did), digital backup and keys backup. I did digital backup with those new keys after @etotheipi response (I have 15 keys but still not the first one with my funds).

But first:  Look at your wallet with Wallet Properties.  Are you sure that none of the three check-boxes are selected.  They are called "Hide empty", "hide change" and "hide unused".  If any of them is selected, try unselecting it.

I did check it several times. When I peep (F3) my keys backup I can see my keys (A,B,C,D - first four I did backup) where A is my first key (with PrivBase58: xxx and PrivHexBE : xxx).

I did run bitcoin-qt without armory and there is no address, no funds. @picobit anyway thanks for your interest and reply.

I would like that armory maintainer give me some advice step by step what to do now, so I wont accidentally break something up or make things worse. If no support is given, then I will definitely use your advice. Remember that till now nobody clarified that ->paper backup = safety<- as is wrote everywhere and 95% ppl think. Like here - http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1bhky4/i_recovered_my_lost_bitcoins/ it's not my case but some interesting thoughts and advice is given there, definitely worth to read.

I honestly don't know how the address wouldn't show up if it registers so having a balance in your wallet.   Given that it has you correct balance, then the coins have got to be in either the addresses already shown or the first 100 after that. 

Did you say the transaction last is correct?  If the balance is correct then there should be a transaction in you history with coins going to the hidden address.  It would also show you the wallet id next to that address.  Can you confirm?

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
manetor26 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:05:06 PM

Did you say the transaction last is correct?  If the balance is correct then there should be a transaction in you history with coins going to the hidden address.  It would also show you the wallet id next to that address.  Can you confirm?

Yea I can confirm that, and that is my wallet address (ID) and my first key A (what is missing). I have sent you some PM's with more specific details - pictures of my wallet.

BUT can we restore my money? Should I make a backup restore? It is even possible to get my money back? Did I really lost them? And if yes, HOW? How it is possible that my first address with my balance impute is missing/disappear?
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 07:32:46 PM

Yea I can confirm that, and that is my wallet address (ID) and my first key A (what is missing). I have sent you some PM's with more specific details - pictures of my wallet.

BUT can we restore my money? Should I make a backup restore? It is even possible to get my money back? Did I really lost them? And if yes, HOW? How it is possible that my first address with my balance impute is missing/disappear?

They're not lost.  The only thing that's missing is the address from your wallet display.  If you wanted to spend them you could--armory wouldn't show you the balance unless it was spendable.

Go to the wallet "Backup this wallet" then "See other backup options", the "Export Key Lists".  The check "Include Unused (address pool)".  Only show the address strings and none of the public or private keys.  That will leave you with a list of about 120 addresses.  Your address must be on that list.  If it's not, there's no way Armory could label that address as being part of your wallet.

manetor26 (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:05:49 AM

I did recover my funds. I have erase ->EVERYTHING<-. Install new armory 0.9 and provide backup of my wallet - paper backup. Everything goes smooth. I get a new address where I can see all my funds.

It's good that I did not have large amount of money in this wallet and I mainly test everything out. But as you can see, Armory maintainers support is really good, and everything works as it should ->with PAPER BACKUP (do it!!!). However I strongly advise that you use latest armory version (0.9 in this case). It's also a LOT faster then previous version.

I want to thank you all for your support.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: