Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:56:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WARNING] BitPay pocketing over $1000 from me.  (Read 3019 times)
CaliforniaLawyer

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:38:30 AM

I appreciate the issue you are describing with BitPay, but I'd have been just this side of enraged at Amagi if I bought $80 face value of silver, paid for it, but got $10 face value in the mail.

What was Amagi's excuse for reneging on the sale? Seems shady...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Scammer

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 01:02:55 AM

Keeping tabs on this thread. Smiley

DON'T GET SCAMMED, CHECK FIRST = Bitcoinscammers.com
iASIC (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 02:06:50 AM

I appreciate the issue you are describing with BitPay, but I'd have been just this side of enraged at Amagi if I bought $80 face value of silver, paid for it, but got $10 face value in the mail.

What was Amagi's excuse for reneging on the sale? Seems shady...

says it was a shipping error.

They said they could send the remaining but I thought I'd get my 4 BTC back.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 03:27:36 AM

Search "refund" at https://bitpay.com/terms . I think it is up to the merchant

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 05:58:51 AM

Somewhat related, I sent some BTC to Namecheap via Bitpay, and Namecheap refuses to send the converted USD credit remainder (IIRC, after I transferred/renewed domains at a promo rate, and was blocked from any more years) on my account back to me via PayPal. They can do that for affiliates, but not for BTC-paying customers? Ridic.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
sangaman

Activity: 342

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 01:58:32 PM

I think refunding based on the USD exchange rate makes sense and it's ultimately up to the merchant anyway, bitpay is just a middle man. If they do refunds in btc, then they open the door to being exploited. You could buy something for 10 btc and then, if btc value doubles, return it for 10 btc and then buy that thing again for 5 btc. For this reason alone it makes sense that refunds are provided based on current prices. The only exception would be if a company's prices in bitcoin do not depend on the btc/usd exchange rate, but that is understandably rare.

Why don't they just ship you the remaining silver that you're missing from your original order?
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:32:46 AM

What was the listed sale price of the silver you bought?  Was it $1400, or was it 4.3 BTC?

You can only expect a refund of the sale price.  It doesn't matter if you paid in some other currency (BTC, Euros, Yen, whatever) which was converted by a third party payment processor.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:18:45 AM

What was the listed sale price of the silver you bought?  Was it $1400, or was it 4.3 BTC?

You can only expect a refund of the sale price.  It doesn't matter if you paid in some other currency (BTC, Euros, Yen, whatever) which was converted by a third party payment processor.

Was listed as USD, but I haven't got a verifiable reason from BitPay as to why they cannot refund what I paid.

Currency or not, it's bullshit.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:27:37 PM

Still no reply from Tony, nor any support of BitPay.
Should I re post this on Reddit?
redtwitz

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:56:53 PM

I have seen this before the last time BITcoin shot up in price everyone wanted  a slice of the pie.   Sorry for the loss

Trust me I'll do my best to make this not a loss.

People on Reddit were telling me BitPay converts the BTC to cash for the vendors, but that doesn't mean they still have all the BTC(They do)

Of course they might still have your BTC, but what does that have to do with anything? They received BTC and sent USD. Whether those BTC were yours or not is rather irrelevant. It's also unlikely, since exchanging them would require waiting for two transactions to confirm, and payments via BitPay are instantaneous.

You bought an item listed in USD. Instead of exchanging your BTC for USD and then paying with USD using either an online service or the banking system, you used BitPay to eliminate a few additional, time consuming and potentially expensive steps. Without BitPay, you'd get your refund in USD as well.

Think about it:

You buy an item worth 1,000 USD from a seller while the BTC/USD exchange rate is at 500, so you send 2 BTC to Bitpay and the seller receives 1000 USD. Shortly after paying, the exchange rate climbs to 1,000. If it was up to you, you'd immediately demand a refund, the seller would returns 1,000 USD to Bitpay and Bitpay would return 2 BTC to you.

What prevents somebody from sending 1,000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 USD worth of BTC to either a friend or himself when the course is highly volatile, demand a refund if the exchange rate rises and keep the USD if it falls? It's essentially a sell with a buy-back option. Neither BitPay nor anybody else is going to offer that.
iASIC (OP)

AMA BCT

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:23:32 PM

I have seen this before the last time BITcoin shot up in price everyone wanted  a slice of the pie.   Sorry for the loss

People on Reddit were telling me BitPay converts the BTC to cash for the vendors, but that doesn't mean they still have all the BTC(They do)

Of course they might still have your BTC, but what does that have to do with anything? They received BTC and sent USD. Whether those BTC were yours or not is rather irrelevant. It's also unlikely, since exchanging them would require waiting for two transactions to confirm, and payments via BitPay are instantaneous.

You bought an item listed in USD. Instead of exchanging your BTC for USD and then paying with USD using either an online service or the banking system, you used BitPay to eliminate a few additional, time consuming and potentially expensive steps. Without BitPay, you'd get your refund in USD as well.

Think about it:

You buy an item worth 1,000 USD from a seller while the BTC/USD exchange rate is at 500, so you send 2 BTC to Bitpay and the seller receives 1000 USD. Shortly after paying, the exchange rate climbs to 1,000. If it was up to you, you'd immediately demand a refund, the seller would returns 1,000 USD to Bitpay and Bitpay would return 2 BTC to you.

What prevents somebody from sending 1,000 or 10,000 or even 100,000 USD worth of BTC to either a friend or himself when the course is highly volatile, demand a refund if the exchange rate rises and keep the USD if it falls? It's essentially a sell with a buy-back option. Neither BitPay nor anybody else is going to offer that.

I know but you pay in btc, you should get it refunded.
Bitcoin Scammer

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 12:30:09 PM

You would think but not during times when the BTC is at $900+   lol  The profit is too huge when they are sitting there and they are just staring at the profit they made on the currency jump.

Think about it:

I know but you pay in btc, you should get it refunded.

DON'T GET SCAMMED, CHECK FIRST = Bitcoinscammers.com
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 01:09:16 PM

Still no reply from Tony, nor any support of BitPay.
Should I re post this on Reddit?

I know some people from BitPay, PM me if you need help.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: