Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:02:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was robbed from my alt coins wallets - Extremely important - Be Cautious  (Read 9874 times)
Mowcore

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:15:49 AM

I am sorry for your loss, I remember that thread and caught out the guy early on. I installed it on my laptop I use for testing dodgy things like this and I got a blue screen! I knew something wasn't right, took awhile before someone actually believed me when I said "Don't use it!".

When loading the .exe it says some crap like "can't find .dll" which is actually in the folder with the .exe. When you move those .dll's into your SYSWOW64 folder, as the dickhead THECOIN op says as a fix, the script gets installed and gives you a blue screen (did for me). You reset your PC and the script is loaded on start up.

Loading up Task Manager and clicking on the Processors tab will show the script zippin up and down the list with the Image name disguised as "svchost.exe", if you look at the description it should say something like "V 3 script" (i can't remember, original post deleted). Trying to close that process will give you a blue screen.

I fixed the issue by simply removing 2 of the .dll's from the sysWOW64 folder  (chances are it made people use more .dll's , I only used 2 before I got a blue screen) and then closing the process, blue screening and restarting.

I then used malwarebytes anti root kit and kaspersky to make sure nothing was left.

I must state I never went through the trouble of trying to install it and mine coins, I knew something wasn't right when it blue screened my laptop. The script loads when you click the .exe, duck know's what happens when the .exe is loaded with all the .dll's in place.

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:30:36 AM

I am sorry for your loss, I remember that thread and caught out the guy early on. I installed it on my laptop I use for testing dodgy things like this and I got a blue screen! I knew something wasn't right, took awhile before someone actually believed me when I said "Don't use it!".

When loading the .exe it says some crap like "can't find .dll" which is actually in the folder with the .exe. When you move those .dll's into your SYSWOW64 folder, as the dickhead THECOIN op says as a fix, the script gets installed and gives you a blue screen (did for me). You reset your PC and the script is loaded on start up.

Loading up Task Manager and clicking on the Processors tab will show the script zippin up and down the list with the Image name disguised as "svchost.exe", if you look at the description it should say something like "V 3 script" (i can't remember, original post deleted). Trying to close that process will give you a blue screen.

I fixed the issue by simply removing 2 of the .dll's from the sysWOW64 folder  (chances are it made people use more .dll's , I only used 2 before I got a blue screen) and then closing the process, blue screening and restarting.

I then used malwarebytes anti root kit and kaspersky to make sure nothing was left.

I must state I never went through the trouble of trying to install it and mine coins, I knew something wasn't right when it blue screened my laptop. The script loads when you click the .exe, duck know's what happens when the .exe is loaded with all the .dll's in place.

How close you were... Good that you are ok. To be sure I made a format and installed bunch of anti-everything software.

raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:15:42 PM

You should at least consider dual-booting Linux if you are serious about cryptocurrencies. Proprietary software, including antivirus software, is difficult to trust if no one knows what it is supposed to do.

joeroxor

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:29:30 PM

Thank you for taking the time to make this post. I too almost fell into that trap out of excitement. I got so far as downloading the .rar but never touched it. Just deleted it in fact and am running Sophos lol

I have some extra BQC I can give you if you like, I know it doesn't make up for the amount of other coins you lost to the trojan though :|

Do you have a BQC address? I can send you some DevCoin too?

Social Media & PR @ BitOrca | Contact: joe.r0x0r@gmail.com | Twitter | Wallet Addresses
Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrcaOrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:00:58 PM

Thank you for taking the time to make this post. I too almost fell into that trap out of excitement. I got so far as downloading the .rar but never touched it. Just deleted it in fact and am running Sophos lol

I have some extra BQC I can give you if you like, I know it doesn't make up for the amount of other coins you lost to the trojan though :|

Do you have a BQC address? I can send you some DevCoin too?
So good you didn't do it, gush... Install anti-keylogger just in case, just to be more sure. I use Zemana Antikeylogger Free.
I had to created all new wallets for every coins I had so these are my new addresses if you are so kind.
Thank you in advance:
BBQ:  bJgipKnD3hEU4gBkPv31vCdd6gKsmwS2Dt
DVC:  12Qp4wjwGRwMzjTiFe8qZ1FMxEHBvEzsXo

Bless you.

Cygnify

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:18:31 PM

Any specific flavour of Linux that should be used? Or is it a case of all are just as good or a lot better than windows so it doesn't matter?

Very proficient with pc's/mac's but haven't really used Linux much, what's a good version for a laptop just running Linux and wallets, need no other features at all besides security concerns.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:27:59 PM

Any specific flavour of Linux that should be used? Or is it a case of all are just as good or a lot better than windows so it doesn't matter?

Very proficient with pc's/mac's but haven't really used Linux much, what's a good version for a laptop just running Linux and wallets, need no other features at all besides security concerns.
I think any of well developed linux distribution would be good enough. You can install it on Virtual Machine. Problem is not every altcoin wallets has linux client and sometimes if it has it is really hard to make it running for person that sit on linux first time.

(A)social

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 08:57:37 PM

I think any of well developed linux distribution would be good enough. You can install it on Virtual Machine. Problem is not every altcoin wallets has linux client and sometimes if it has it is really hard to make it running for person that sit on linux first time.

Some client can run under Wine.
Be aware that the wallet will be created inside the Wine folders.

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
joeroxor

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:36:53 PM

I had to created all new wallets for every coins I had so these are my new addresses if you are so kind.
Thank you in advance:

Bless you.

Coins sent! Please be careful next time Tongue

I found out the guy's name who did the whole scam. Along with his address and phone number. I've given this information to a couple of members here as well as pabloangello.

Social Media & PR @ BitOrca | Contact: joe.r0x0r@gmail.com | Twitter | Wallet Addresses
(A)social

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 09:37:42 PM

Thank you in advance:

Bless you.

Coins sent! Please be careful next time Tongue

I found out the guy's name who did the whole scam. Along with his address and phone number. I've given this information to a couple of members here as well as pabloangello.

Why not make it public?

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
joeroxor

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:49:06 PM

Why not make it public?

Because it's revealing personal information publicly, I will send the information to whoever wants it, privately.

pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:34:39 PM

So basicly we have right now all the data of that guy.
Name,
address,
telephone,
Company name,
Facebook profile

He is from USA I am from Europe. What can I do with such an informations? Can I contact to police or some other law enforcement in USA that deals with such a internet crimes?
Is here anyone with such a knowledge what can I do in this situation?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 11:07:02 PM

Name,
address,
telephone,
Company name,
Facebook profile

He is from USA I am from Europe. What can I do with such an informations? Can I contact to police or some other law enforcement in USA that deals with such a internet crimes?
The embassy of your country, and the local police there. His company also. You could contact all his friends and at least make him feel guilty.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
joeroxor

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:15:06 PM

I would assume that stealing digital property from someone over the internet has consequences and laws prohibiting such actions.

pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:16:31 PM

Name,
address,
telephone,
Company name,
Facebook profile

The embassy of your country, and the local police there. His company also. You could contact all his friends and at least make him feel guilty.

I most certainly will contact to embassy to help me with the local police.
Do you think is it worth to write him an email to give him opportunity to give me back the coins and if he will not then threaten him that I will contact embassy and local police etc?

joeroxor

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:18:24 PM

Name,
address,
telephone,
Company name,
Facebook profile

Do you think is it worth to write him an email to give him opportunity to give me back the coins and if he will not then threaten him that I will contact embassy and local police etc?

The problem with this is that you were most likely not the only one affected by this fraud. If nothing is done, more people will continue to be robbed by this guy.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 11:18:42 PM

What is the estimated value of the stolen coins in BTC or USD?
First contact him and his friends. If he doesn't return them make sure you contact the embassy and local police.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:24:33 PM

What is the estimated value of the stolen coins in BTC or USD?
First contact him and his friends. If he doesn't return them make sure you contact the embassy and local police.

It is about $5880 considering this moment prices from http://coinmarketcap.com/

btcave658

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:32:27 PM

Try using a firewall like comodo. Set it to "Custom Policy". It will prompt you any unknown process that tries to connect to the net. Of course only allow process you know and trust.

Also try to use virtual machines  for new altcoins. you can just transfer them later. If the new coin has proven legit and reports of malware activities

If you do not want to use virtual machines you can use Sandboxie. Create one sandox for each coin. and launch the program using one sandbox. Just be sure you do not delete the sandboxes.
pabloangello (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:37:52 PM

Try using a firewall like comodo. Set it to "Custom Policy". It will prompt you any unknown process that tries to connect to the net. Of course only allow process you know and trust.

Also try to use virtual machines  for new altcoins. you can just transfer them later. If the new coin has proven legit and reports of malware activities

If you do not want to use virtual machines you can use Sandboxie. Create one sandox for each coin. and launch the program using one sandbox. Just be sure you do not delete the sandboxes.
Thank you for your advices. I already have done all of that. Antivirus, anti-malware, anti-keylogger, VM with Ubuntu.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: