Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:18:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a loan to buy bitcoin  (Read 23511 times)
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:02:19 PM

went on with it, let's see how it goes!

so excited!!

Poor bastard. He's not here anymore, is he? Probably had to cut his Internet connection and PC to make his first loan payment.  Sad

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:21:48 AM

Well, now is a good time to buy. My own loan coming in today or tomorrow.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:34:39 AM

My first loan arrived 1 December.  My second loan arrives on Friday.  The first has paid for itself.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2785
Merit: 1813

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:56:43 AM

I'm thinking of getting a loan to buy more bitcoin, as I'm guessing we'll reach $10K in a few months it can be a good deal to lend at a bank against 5% anual rate

Did anyone do this before? Would like some experience advice

There have been many people in here asking about the same thing and I think it's a recipe for disaster and would not recommend it. Invest what you can afford to lose, if you become too greedy it could very well come back and bite you in the ass (and karma says it will). You will live in regret for the rest of your life. Don't do it, if bitcoin succeeds a few bitcoins will be enough to buy a house or two.

Let's say someone took a loan of $100k in september and put it into Bitcoin, he would have made about $900k minus interest in just less than 2 months. There's no going wrong here.

If I take a loan now of $100k and put it into Bitcoin, it might be worth 10x in just a few months. Worst case scenario it will bubble to $9k and back to $1k, then I would have only lost the interest on the loan. It's a winner bet to become a millionaire from just one simple move at the moment, with no losing edge in sight.

This dude is the official victim of the bitcoin mania. Thank God the forum is archived. It will be a good basis for studying market delusions.

Yeah i don't think it's possible to make a worse call

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:52:09 PM

Maybe he recognized the crash right after buying in at the top and sold for $1,100... and then rebought last night at $500. If so, he doubled his stash and should end up pretty well!

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2785
Merit: 1813

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:57:38 AM

Maybe he recognized the crash right after buying in at the top and sold for $1,100... and then rebought last night at $500. If so, he doubled his stash and should end up pretty well!

Sure, or maybe his finger slipped and instead of buying at 1200 he shorted btc at $1200?? Or maybe he won a million dollar lottery on a way to the bank to pick up his loan or maybe... Roll Eyes

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:52:37 AM

The same everybody was telling while buying multiple condos during housing bubble. And this is because that bubble did happen. Greed kills.

[...]

But a condo is bad money. It is money, because the fiat is bad as a store of value, forcing all savers to look for anything that is safe for devaluation. Condos are one of the opportunities. When people buy for that purpose, the condos gain exchange value and becomes de facto money. They are bad because they are not divisible, not movable and cost a lot to just keep. When better stores of value becomes available, they lose their exchange value and we have a bubble burst. Bitcoin on the other hand is good money in almost any measure.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:53:14 PM

Got my loan, but check will clear in 3 banking days, weekends not included, holidays not included. So I get my fiat after Christmas.

But, I might actually not buy any coins (bit or alt), instead I might get a miner which is available immediately. Thinking. Thinking. ... ... The choice is between SHA (asic) or Scrypt (GPU). I think I might go with some GPUs.

huadylmate

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:16:05 PM

went on with it, let's see how it goes!

so excited!!

Poor bastard. He's not here anymore, is he? Probably had to cut his Internet connection and PC to make his first loan payment.  Sad

You have keep some money to pay loan payments, but in theory it can work if you wait long enought
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:33:29 PM

I'm thinking of getting a loan to buy more bitcoin, as I'm guessing we'll reach $10K in a few months it can be a good deal to lend at a bank against 5% anual rate

His last post was December 5th.  Hope he didn't jump out of a window on December 6th.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:44:06 PM

There have been many people in here asking about the same thing and I think it's a recipe for disaster and would not recommend it. Invest what you can afford to lose, if you become too greedy it could very well come back and bite you in the ass (and karma says it will). You will live in regret for the rest of your life. Don't do it, if bitcoin succeeds a few bitcoins will be enough to buy a house or two.

Don't say I didn't try to warn this poor guy. Karma is a bitch sometimes. Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:51:38 PM

Got my loan, but check will clear in 3 banking days, weekends not included, holidays not included. So I get my fiat after Christmas.

But, I might actually not buy any coins (bit or alt), instead I might get a miner which is available immediately. Thinking. Thinking. ... ... The choice is between SHA (asic) or Scrypt (GPU). I think I might go with some GPUs.

Stop. Buying into GPU mining right now is really really stupid. Buying into ASIC is marginally less stupid but still, incredibly stupid.

The con that miners don't tell you, is that very few of them are actually making a genuine profit from PURE mining. What they are actually doing is mining some coins and then holding onto those coins until they are worth more money and then calling a profit. You can just buy the BTC skip the hardware bullshit.

And ASICS? IF I had an ASIC to sell you today that is gonna turn you profit, why would I sell it ? I would just run it and take the profit for myself. The only reason I'm selling you the hardware is because I want some other mug(you) to take the risk.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:55:29 PM

And ASICS? IF I had an ASIC to sell you today that is gonna turn you profit, why would I sell it ? I would just run it and take the profit for myself. The only reason I'm selling you the hardware is because I want some other mug(you) to take the risk.

Do you run Butterfly Labs?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:57:36 PM

You might want to reconsider that if your goal is to speculate on bitcoin and profit. Buying mining software has been a poor investment for most miners except those who get first access to the newest tech.
dg2010

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:59:38 PM

Do you run Butterfly Labs?

Yeah and I'm great friends with LukeJR. We paid him to fly out to our offices and do a bit of development work but really he was a shill used to pump these babies out the door. Marketing 101. Like taking candy from a baby.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:32:06 PM

I don't know guys. Taking out a loan to finance a very risky investment is a violation of the first rule of investing. "Thou shall not invest more than you can lose".  If the OP did buy $100k at $1200/BTC using a loan. He may have to spend the rest of his life paying it off. His $100k is now like >$50k if it takes say 10 years to pay off... Wow he is now a debt slave.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Kramerc

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:34:30 PM

Why!? Bitcoin to da moon in 2014, easy money!
dontek

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:52:43 PM

I just took out a $100,000 loan to fund my time at the tables in Vegas this weekend. WOOT WOOT! I got this figured out! Y'all a bunch of suckers!

Roll Eyes

Send me your Bitcoin and I will make sure to HODL it safe for you!
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:28:21 PM

i provide the same advice to the loan takers that I provided to my friend, when he inquired about taking a loan to buy btc:

"you're an idiot"
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:43:18 AM

Comments noted. But I'm going to do what you just described. Mine, hold the coins, sell for profit.

I'm aiming at one particular alt-coin, because I know who created it, and he's pouring a few million into it as a business. So I'm getting in while the difficulty is very low.

Worst case scenario, I can sell the GPUs and motherboards at the price I bought them. Lots of 3D gamers in my area.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: