Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:53:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The word "Troll"  (Read 2864 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:49:20 PM

What are you, a bunch of nerds or something?  Quit using it.  It makes otherwise intelligent people look like little children name-calling.  Find something more clever or just keep quiet.  I would love to see the dudes discussing the NYSE on CNBC being like "TROLL!   TROLL!   TROLOLOLOL!"  Seriously.  This is the reason none of you scored any pussy in high school.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
laydum

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 07:03:47 PM

Whoa there. People use the word troll in different contexts. If it is being used in it's correct context why are you so concerned?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 07:16:12 PM

Whoa there. People use the word troll in different contexts. If it is being used in it's correct context why are you so concerned?

You know what context I mean -- calling people trolls in response to a dumb, off-topic, negative, or oppositional comment.  In this case, "correct" context is a matter of subjectivity, and in my opinion, this context is reserved for hideous gnome-like creatures living under bridges.  It's a bandwagon word, it shows no originality or thought, it makes the person who says it look equally stupid, it's too frequently used (especially towards those who support bitcoin but happen to have legitimate concerns about it's current state or future), and it's simply unappealing.  Imagine being a newcomer to a town where everyone is running around calling each other 'trolls.'  It makes the community look extremely weird and I'll bet that it does nothing to encourage new Bitcoin users to become part of it.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 08:00:37 PM

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 08:05:37 PM

Thank you for exemplifying my point.  It's a teenage wasteland.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 12:51:57 AM

A troll is someone that says things (regardless of whether they believe in them or not) in order to piss people and make them strike back, it's kinda like shaking a stuffed animal at a cat and laugh as the cat starts fighting it.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 01:44:34 AM

A troll is someone that says things (regardless of whether they believe in them or not) in order to piss people and make them strike back, it's kinda like shaking a stuffed animal at a cat and laugh as the cat starts fighting it.

Yeah, I get that, but I'm pretty sure that people living outside of their basements wouldn't know what you're talking about.  This forum acts as the main hub for all bitcoiners who wish to communicate with each other.  The word 'troll' is so commonly used and all it does is add to the impression that Bitcoin is only for the super-techies and the extraordinary nerds.  And, it's used when people have legitimate concerns about Bitcoin.  On one of my first posts about Bitcoin after I got out of the Newbie thread, I made a serious post about the philosophical shortcomings of Bitcoin as a future currency (even though I also stated that Bitcoin was better than traditional currencies to this point).  I got slapped with troll claims and some guy said something along the lines of, "If this guy continues to post and becomes a member of the community, I'll eat my words."  I forget who he was, but he can suck it along with all the other "troll" screamers.  It's immature, it's thoughtless, and it seems like more and more people say it when the other person is actually right.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 01:59:38 AM

What are you, a bunch of nerds or something?  Quit using it.  It makes otherwise intelligent people look like little children name-calling.  Find something more clever or just keep quiet.  I would love to see the dudes discussing the NYSE on CNBC being like "TROLL!   TROLL!   TROLOLOLOL!"  Seriously.  This is the reason none of you scored any pussy in high school.
Hey! You just worry about that 10hours of prayer..... (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27500.msg374431#msg374431)
There should at least be 244hours of that by my count
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 02:06:02 AM

Hey! You just worry about that 10hours of prayer..... (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27500.msg374431#msg374431)

244 hours of prayer for what?  Someone requested 10 hours of videotaped prayer, I asked if they were serious, and they did not reply affirmatively.
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 02:08:46 AM

244 hours of prayer for what?  Someone requested 10 hours of videotaped prayer, I asked if they were serious, and they did not reply affirmatively.

I only kid mate..... Basically I counted how many hours it would be from the day of that post up until now.....
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 02:10:30 AM

I only kid mate..... Basically I counted how many hours it would be from the day of that post up until now.....

Haha.  I think I'd hafta raise my rates with the BTC economy going as it is.   I'll offer a discount if it involves Tom Williams.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 04:38:52 AM

Oh, that was *so* tl;dr.

I have scored troll pussy though. Like sticking your willy in granite. Is that what you're posting about?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:47:47 AM

Oh, that was *so* tl;dr.

I have scored troll pussy though. Like sticking your willy in granite. Is that what you're posting about?

Haha you gotta fill me in on the tl;dr man.  I'm not up to date with these abbrevs.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:51:58 AM

Too Long; Didn't Read.

Basicly people say that to point someone wrote way more than they are willing to read, or as an indication that a summary of the preceding wall of text follows.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:58:00 AM

Too Long; Didn't Read.

Basicly people say that to point someone wrote way more than they are willing to read, or as an indication that a summary of the preceding wall of text follows.

Are you guys seriously this dense?  This is part of the reason that the average citizen wants absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoin.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:45:10 PM

This thread deserves a bump.
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:52:01 PM

Stop trolling yourself.

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:57:30 PM

I'm really sad I never got my 10 hour video of the joint praying.... Sad
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:01:31 AM

Stop trolling yourself.

Your post of that woman with the blue and white background makes me want to throw up.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 02:01:44 AM

Now really. You can't say things like that. This is reducing people to an unfortunate minority.

I'm reasonably sure these guys didn't score any pussy even after high school.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: