Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:49:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Physical Bit Dollars (BETA)  (Read 3999 times)
TheBitMan (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 10:58:18 PM

Once again I have gone over my head. This happens to much so for now on I am giving up on projects and I may still run my pyramid/ponzi that seems to be my only success. But with school starting in about a month I would not be able to handle BitDollars. People may think I am a scammer but I am far from one. I simply get in over my head time after time. And this will be the last time.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 01:03:26 AM

Once again I have gone over my head. This happens to much so for now on I am giving up on projects and I may still run my pyramid/ponzi that seems to be my only success. But with school starting in about a month I would not be able to handle BitDollars. People may think I am a scammer but I am far from one. I simply get in over my head time after time. And this will be the last time.
For what it's worth, I didn't think you were a scammer (and I apologize if I sounded like I was accusing you of that or implying that). I think you meant well but didn't really have a good idea of what you were getting yourself into. We actually badly need an e-wallet service run by someone truly trustworthy. The problem is, trustworthy people understand what a complex job it is to really do that right, and unless you intend to scam people, it's not likely to be all that profitable and you may have to defend your reputation against false accusation after false accusation. So that drives away the honest people and attracts the scammer.

Imagine if you did your bit dollars plan, and I started claiming that I bought 10 BTC from you and then when I went to claim it, you said it had already been claimed. Say you were honest, sold me the 10 BTC, and all you know is that someone claimed them. You don't know whether I'm scamming you and I claimed them or someone somehow got the code and you can't prove the 10 BTC you sent was to someone who knew a code that only you and I should know. (Maybe they peeked at my bit dollar, maybe not, you don't know.) What do you do? Do you pay me back the 10 BTC to preserve your repuation? Out of what? It's not like this is a high-profit service.

And what if you get hit by a car while holding lots of other people's money?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:21:33 AM

Perhaps not call it anything with 'dollar' in it, to avoid confusion with USD. Perhaps bitcoin bill or note is better? or cupon?
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:22:02 AM

I was thinking of something like this.

The reverse will have the private key or a wallet.dat in qr code and denomination in plain text.

The paper represents the wallet with X amount of bitcoins not the bitcoins themselves.
TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:28:15 AM

I was thinking of something like this.

The reverse will have the private key or a wallet.dat in qr code and denomination in plain text.

The paper represents the wallet with X amount of bitcoins not the bitcoins themselves.
I also thought just having the QR code and when it gets read it says the code for the BTC.
TheBitMan (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:30:23 AM

that on a type of paper or plastic with a hologram over it
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: