Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:32:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Live solely off of bitcoins [Bounty Canceled]  (Read 11892 times)
mpkomara (OP)

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 11:28:51 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2011, 08:22:30 PM by mpkomara

To win the prize, you must live 1 month off of purchases denominated solely in bitcoins.  This means:

Shelter, Clothing, Food, Heat, Water, Utilities, Transportation, Entertainment, etc.

Basically, if you pay for something, you must pay in bitcoins.  Buying pre-paid cards denominated in dollars, euros or pounds is NOT allowed.  Receipts will be helpful as a matter of proof; a daily blog about your Bitcoin life would also be nice (but where did you buy that computer?). If we clean up the details of the competition I'd be willing to fund 200 bitcoins of this person's life.  any other charitable forum members interested in backing this idea?

EDIT: Bitcoin's ball is rolling just fine without this bounty.  I pull my bounty offer and everyone else's that was on this post. 
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2011, 11:41:31 AM

I think it's a terrible idea, we need everyone we can get in the bitcoin community, we can't afford to have any of them starve.  Tongue

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 11:46:02 AM

Now that doublec has ported Bitcoin to the N900 smartphone, I think the easiest way to live for one month off Bitcoin would be to send some coins to the phone and go on a road trip across the US.

Each night, stay at the home of a bitcoin user and pay them in bitcoins. Also pay them to drive you to your next destination.

With a bit of planning, it should be possible to travel from one coast to the other this way in a month.
Nefario

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2011, 11:50:40 AM

Now that doublec has ported Bitcoin to the N900 smartphone, I think the easiest way to live for one month off Bitcoin would be to send some coins to the phone and go on a road trip across the US.

Each night, stay at the home of a bitcoin user and pay them in bitcoins. Also pay them to drive you to your next destination.

With a bit of planning, it should be possible to travel from one coast to the other this way in a month.

That IS a great idea, that would have to be recorded on video! It would be major publicity for bitcoin!

"Across the U.S. with Bitcoin"

I can see the headlines already!

"In other news today a young person crossed the entire U.S.A, paying their way with a new kind of money called Bitcoins"

As editor of the Bitcoin weekly I demand to get the exclusive interview with whoever does this.

Anonymous

February 15, 2011, 12:17:13 PM

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2491.0

This guy might be the one to do this for bitcoins.   Smiley

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 01:58:13 PM

I am starting a column about earning bitcoin. We'll see if I will become the first bitcoiner who made his living entirely off bitcoin.

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 02:50:42 PM

I think this is a great idea too.  Not only because it might draw national media attention, but because it will almost certainly draw local media attention in each of the markets you visit.  Those small town newspapers and television stations are probably starving for human interest stories.  We could watch the increase in nodes on the bitcoin map as you make your way across the continent.

I'd wait for spring to do it though.  No point in needlessly freezing to death due to a logistical mixup.

Though that would certainly guarantee media coverage.
mpkomara (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

pro-tip:  save on heating bills by running a bitcoin-miner
Nefario

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2011, 03:32:38 PM

We could call the whole thing "Bitcoin: the long march" ahahahahahha

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 03:35:17 PM

This is a great publicity stunt!  I like it!  How many bitcoins does one need to survive for one month?
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 05:20:26 PM

Given certain performance parameters I'd be willing to donate to this project.

One way to ensure compliance is to give out part of the bounty at designated stops along the way.

Applicants for this publicity stunt should outline how they plan to garner as much attention as possible for bitcoin from their escapades.
humble

Activity: 91
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 06:09:39 PM

The trip is a great idea. Be sure to include Vancouver in your itinerary. I have a cozy space (nicely heated by miners) for you to stay.
KGrkg0N

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 12:39:36 PM

Hey Guy's I happen to be a respected member of the Bitcoin community (ill get another trusted user to verify this account at some point), however I don't feel like I want all my itinerary plans connected to my other identity just yet.

I'm willing to take on this project! I have booked to go to Europe from the 16th of August to the 29th of October.  I'm arriving in Barcelona, and travailing from Span to France, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France, then back to Spain.

I can make a big project of this.  I'm willing to pay my own way, I have enough BTC to pay for everything quite easily.

A couple questions.  Promotion:  If everyone gives me good rates, Smiley I'll give the trade a good rating Smiley  The 200 BTC is not a huge bounty... so I'm not really in it to 'make' money.  However donations (to those who give me food, shelter, and host me) will always be welcome.

I'll be traveling with a friend, we are both in our early 20's.   I think that it would be lots of fun... and the bitcoin market will be developed enough by then to give a real good crack at it.  Grin

Oh, I'm planning to be in Munich when Oktoberfest is on... I propose that we make that an international Bitcoin meetup!  Grin  Grin  Grin
mpkomara (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 12:53:23 PM

Curious-- How do you plan on going from France to the UK by using bitcoins?  I know of no bitcoin-accepting tunnels, airlines or ferries.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 12:58:21 PM

How do you plan on going from France to the UK by using bitcoins?  I know of no bitcoin-accepting tunnels, airlines or ferries.
By 16th August there might be!

I happen to be a respected member of the Bitcoin community

It will be a pleasure to have you visit, Satoshi.
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2011, 12:59:38 PM

Maybe, members of the bitcoin community would accept to buy some stuffs for you in exchange for bitcoin (acting as an intermediary).

This would be nice to have a bitcoin-couchsurfing website, where you could ask for your needs (foods, travel, sleeping location) and people could make some offers: (for 10BTC, I take you with my car at this place and bring you to the airport).

This would add a lot of value to the bitcoin economy, for sure.

KGrkg0N

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 01:19:15 PM

Curious-- How do you plan on going from France to the UK by using bitcoins?  I know of no bitcoin-accepting tunnels, airlines or ferries.

Fair evade?  Ah, we will work out a way.  Smiley I think that we could make a big mission of it!  Smiley you'd be surprised how much 100BTC will get you in 6 months. Smiley

Grin
mpkomara (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 01:47:32 PM

I don't think it is in the spirit of the project I envisioned to be able to pay a bitcoin buddy 10 BTC to provide you food and transportation.  That's almost a worse outcome for the project than if you were to buy a pre-paid Visa. the project funding would just be going to your friends and not to real bitcoin merchants.   This isn't a project about going on a sweet bitcoin roadtrip culminating in a bitcoin meetup in some Euro-accepting bar.  You can do that in a different thread.  I'm talking about buying food and shelter from REAL bitcoin merchants, almost starving and freezing to death, living off of coffee and herbal tea driving around in an Australian '84 Lemon with an empty tank.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 02:14:23 PM

I don't think it is in the spirit of the project I envisioned to be able to pay a bitcoin buddy 10 BTC to provide you food and transportation.  That's almost a worse outcome for the project than if you were to buy a pre-paid Visa. the project funding would just be going to your friends and not to real bitcoin merchants.   This isn't a project about going on a sweet bitcoin roadtrip culminating in a bitcoin meetup in some Euro-accepting bar.  You can do that in a different thread.  I'm talking about buying food and shelter from REAL bitcoin merchants, almost starving and freezing to death, living off of coffee and herbal tea driving around in an Australian '84 Lemon with an empty tank.

How is one going to find these 'BitCoin merchants' if not from within the BitCoin community?  Having a so-called 'euro-trip' that happens to promote the bitcoin merchants in Europe is a great Idea IMHO!  Maybe not as wicked as freezing to death... but who know what crazy stuff one can get up to on a euro-trip and some good quality BTC!

One off NP-Hard.
nikonoel

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 04:11:03 PM

In order to promote this glorious project, I, effective immediately, open a limo services branch.

This is how it works:
- Anyone with desire to travel in style in UK and who has some BTC's to spare can PM me.
- We negotiate the price, pick up point,  destination (mainland UK), time and options.
- I dig up a suit and tie, (quite sure there is one in wardrobe somewhere)
- I remove all the child seats and bubble gum wrappers from the floor of my E-class merc. (unless a child seat is requested)
- I Pick up the passenger and drive him/her/them to the destination.

Be driven around Britain by a chauffeur in style!*

*we accept BTC only.

I definitely love this idea! This brings us to the point where we should have local BTC communities in order to offer that kind of service, actually. Cause I'm not flying to UK just for the pleasure of a ride with a chauffeur in style  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: