Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:12:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to recover lost bitcoin wallet?  (Read 64092 times)
Alina-malina (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

I am here to realize my online project.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 01:58:13 PM

How to recover lost bitcoin wallet? I know that my question sound silly, but anyway what is the possible technics/methods to do that, even if it will take like gazzilion years to find/bust the wallet and access bitcoins in it?

dutch2peer

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:48:08 PM

There is no supported way to recover your wallet. The only way is to brute-force the password, this would indeed take an eternity if you have no clue what the password was. However if you a slight clue what the password was, the possiblities to brute-force it would drastically deminish, which might make it worth to try. There are tools/services which are able to do this for you, google Smiley
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:54:04 PM

What you mean by lost wallet? Have you formatted your pc or something or you forgot the password?
AuroraHF

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:55:45 PM

It could possibly be over-written already if you reformatted. There are some commercial software that is dedicated to recovering deleted files, but I'm not sure if that would work. Good luck though.

lmao
nevermindit

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:57:29 PM

Once you lose your password, probably you are lost. However, some guys on the services forum offer password recovery service. Search for it.
cameraliker

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:15:42 PM

You may not.

Sorry for that. Cheer up and gather more coins than before.
BlazeOfGlory

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:26:21 PM

Did you lose the wallet itself, or the password?

The guys at http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/ may be able to recover it for you, under certain circumstances. This is assuming that you lost only the password, and your wallet is still intact.
finmingun

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:35:02 PM

Guys are there to recover the wallet with partial keys, and brute force method. Search inside the forum and also google it.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:20:53 PM

Did you lose the wallet or the encryption key?

If you lost the wallet file (through deletion, corruption, formatting) and you were quick enough to shut your computer down before it was overwritten, there are tools that can scan an entire harddisk image for key signatures and re-create a wallet (for example, jackjack's pywallet).

If you lost the encryption key there are companies that help with recovery, as mentioned they will ask you for all your knowledge about the passphrase and use directed brute force.

In case the harddisk broke down, the data can be recovered with forensic techniques. This is expensive, but may be worth it in some cases.

Moral of story: make regular backups!

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Alina-malina (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 05:22:10 PM

Thanks to all who replied, no I have no broken HDD, deleted files, lost wallet file nor encrypted key, I only have my bitcoin address, so I am interested with knowin address, how hard will be to recreate the wallet and make it up and running, thanks for all answers!

perfectlyfit

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:01:22 PM

Backup! Backup! Backup! is the only key to safeguard your wallet in case of damages to storage. And if accidentally a transaction is made to a wrong address, you would lose your coins.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:06:31 PM

Back up your private keys. Write it down or copy onto a flash drive.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Alina-malina (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 08:06:33 PM

Thank you for your reply, dear people, I think you misunderstanding my question. My question is the following: If I have only my bitcoin wallet address is it possible to crack or generate somehow, and no matter how long it will take to recover the wallet? This is what I am asking, I am not interested in backup of HDD or other methods, i am only interested in that particular case, thank you for your attempts answer my question!

Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:08:18 PM

Thank you for your reply, dear people, I think you misunderstanding my question. My question is the following: If I have only my bitcoin wallet address is it possible to crack or generate somehow, and no matter how long it will take to recover the wallet? This is what I am asking, I am not interested in backup of HDD or other methods, i am only interested in that particular case, thank you for your attempts answer my question!

If you're talking about your public key, then no.  Absolutely no way possible.  End of discussion.
If you're talking about your private key, then yes, and quite easily.

(Unfortunately if you have to ask this question, then you're talking about your public key.  So no, there is no way to recover that.)

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Alina-malina (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 07:04:25 AM

Thanks for your response Nolo, yes i was talking about my public key a.k.a bitcoin address, thank you for explaination.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:16:27 AM

Thanks for your response Nolo, yes i was talking about my public key a.k.a bitcoin address, thank you for explaination.
It's indeed not possible using just the address*. That would be a huge security hole Smiley

* unless all of ECDSA, SHA-256 and RIPEMD-160 algorithms are compromised

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Lidam

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:17:57 AM

In that case, your bitcoin is probably forever lost.
Alina-malina (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 07:57:58 AM

Yes, I agree with you it may be lost, but I am interested in the technic of recovering it, what tools should i use to try until it be recovered? Do you understand what I am saying?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3276

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:11:59 AM

Yes, I agree with you it may be lost, but I am interested in the technic of recovering it, what tools should i use to try until it be recovered? Do you understand what I am saying?

The technique is this:

1. Generate a random 256-bit number between 0x1 and 0xFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFE BAAE DCE6 AF48 A03B BFD2 5E8C D036 4141. (a private key).
2. Determine the bitcoin address for the generated private key.
3. If the generated bitcoin address matches, you have the private key and you are done. If not go back to step 1.

This is called "brute force". There is no other technique.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Wendjo

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:13:06 AM

If you only have the public address or public key, there is no real way (other than brute force) for you to recover the private key.

If someone is able to do that for you, he could have taken everyone's btc as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: