Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:32:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Research on Bitmain Antminer Z9 EQUIHASH ASIC Miner - Zcash and Zencash Fork?  (Read 1561 times)
NetfetMiningCompany

Activity: 315
Merit: 8

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 02:57:09 PM

Cant stop evolution. ASIC are made for mining. More companies just need to get involved to make the products affordable. GPUs are crap to use for mining. Im constantly RMA'ing cards in large amounts. They ALWAYS break. Sucks if you have a big operation. What are people going to do. Fork every time a new ASIC comes out? This fight against them is unrealistic and petty. Companies need to embrace the tech, and solidify networks with better machines. The most vocal are the smaller miners. Sorry....People with money will run the industry. Dont hate a computer because a monopolizing company. When you can buy asics for the price/availability of GPUs, EVERYONE will use them. Anyone who is serious about mining will switch. Anyone who says they wont, are full of crap. GPUs need to be replaced. Texas Instruments are pioneers in this industry.

What GPUs do you have a lot of trouble with and what’s their average temp / fan speed

PowerColor and ASUS varieties for the most part. Temperature isnt an issue. The rigs run in ice cold data centers. They just arent made for this constant use. 100% usage constant just kills it after a while. Normal use for a card is erratic.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaxiMan

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 05:59:18 PM

ASICS wouldn't ever beat a GPU. Once they are not profitable anymore, they dont have any apparent use (doorstopper, heater yes...)
They are not versatile, can they be programmed to mine other algos than stated?
Stated the above, they dont have resell value, while GPUs will.
Finally, there are many more profitable algos/coins for GPUs than Equihash, so not a big concern.
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 03:05:04 PM

I got a message from bitmain my Z9 just shipped.  I am 90% GPU but just needed to see this thing.

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
gulyas

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 11:04:36 PM

I setup my z9 on MPH's switching port 17023 yesterday and it was working fine, but when I woke up the miner had spun up and down a few times mining on a backup pool for moments at a time earning nothing basically. I was going to mine on the single coin 20XXX ports but it was giving me problems, which is why I switched over. Well seems the ZEN pool is down and the switcher thinks it needs more hashrate causing everyong to stall.

I have as of now changed to the ZCL port, and it seems to be working just fine.
SeriousOne

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 12:09:23 AM

How could you order and got delivered?
When first delivery is - Shipping: August 24th- Sep.4th ?

Where there a first batch, and it is only 2nd batch left?

Yeah i guess so the first batch cost 2500$ or? and the new one like 875$
amirheavy666

Activity: 228
Merit: 101

NEM (XEM) Top Coin

View Profile
July 21, 2018, 08:20:45 AM

zencash in mineable with asic z9 mini yet? !! Huh

Nem.io
kevinwalker38

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 04:18:50 AM

gulyas

I am going to order a Batch#2 Z9 unit tomorrow. I am excited to see how good the return actually is in the real world. Gulyas, it is a bit disturbing to see that you were having issues on the ZenCash Pool. Any further comments on that? I have 49 RX570's, 1 RX580, and 1 Vega56, and I am tired of giving so much $$$$ to the power company. I am running some S9's and Giant B's right now and like them alot. They stand up to the heat better and are easier to ventilate. I am seriously considering selling all of my GPU's. Just not enough hash/watt imo. I want to run 19 of the Z9 Mini units and start buying the Innosilicon A9's. After a bit of math, I could conservatively make +/- $1000 per day and still use 3000 watts less than the GPU's are sucking down.

I agree with NetfetMiningCompany when they said "Cant stop evolution. ASIC are made for mining. More companies just need to get involved to make the products affordable".

The gamers can have their cards back, I can give less $ per hash to my power company, have a system that is easier to vent, have an easier build plan for scaling, etc... We have real mining hardware built for a specific purpose that is finally starting to become affordable. We should use it.

I don't want to keep all my eggs in one basket either. I plan to use the Z9 profit to buy the A9's but I might get ASICminer Standard 48TH (https://asicminer.co/shop/asicminer-standard) also just to have more than one algo. Ideally I would like to have 5 or 6 algos. Maybe even some E3's or A10's for eth as well if they don't go POS too soon. When they do go POS I am done with ETH entirely.  Check out https://www.asicminervalue.com/. Has a lot of good info for research on ASIC units.

I believe that with so many companies making asic units, there will always be one around the corner that will fit a persons needs regardless of forks or what other rubbish is attempted to prevent real mining. If I had it all to do over again, I would never have bought any GPU's, only asics. I was a n0.ob then and didn't know anything. Luckily as Maximan pointed out, the GPUs have a resale value and I am going to package them with a riser card and sell them. At least that way I won't feel so much like I wasted all the $$$ that I spent on GPUs. All I will have really lost is profit and time. I have learned a lot though and GPU mining was good for the experience. I would totally suggest if one is new to mining, to start with 1 or 6 GPU's to get a good feel for the software, pool setup, and operation.

One last thought is that if we as miners did graduate to mining specific equipment more rapidly, we could have enough hash power to set up more pools and offer additional decentralization. Best case, I make enough to lease a building for mining hardware and do set up my own pool eventually. Worst case I am flat broke and have several doorstops as Maximan again pointed out. They will be damn nice doorstops though, and it will have been an amazing ride.

Thanks and Happy Mining!
NetfetMiningCompany

Activity: 315
Merit: 8

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 06:08:47 PM

Can always open up a video arcade instead of selling them. I was thinking of making a VR arcade as the headsets are reasonably priced now.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
Ultrasound

Activity: 58

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 07:16:37 PM

zencash in mineable with asic z9 mini yet? !! Huh

It will not be mineable in the near future.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: