Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:56:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPay black friday numbers suck?  (Read 3877 times)
revans (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:11:15 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1rq4yv/attn_bitpay_you_need_to_release_statistics_of/

Seems they have refused to even consider releasing the numbers for Bitcoin transactions via BitPay for black friday. I think it is safe to assume the reason is the figures are bad, as if it was otherwise they'd be desperate to crow about them.
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:12:44 PM

For most of the rest of the world black friday is our hunger games where we watch desperate poor people fight each other for baubles.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:15:28 PM

Of course they suck. For the last 30 days or so, BTC has mostly been hoarded. And it'll continue to be hoarded until new money is convinced they'll be buying the top and hold off.

Elon Krusky
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:16:47 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1rq4yv/attn_bitpay_you_need_to_release_statistics_of/

Seems they have refused to even consider releasing the numbers for Bitcoin transactions via BitPay for black friday. I think it is safe to assume the reason is the figures are bad, as if it was otherwise they'd be desperate to crow about them.

How can they release the numbers when Black Friday is still in progress in much of the world?  

I'm doing my Christmas shopping as we speak and have made 9 BitPay purchases already.  Last year there were 99 BitPay purchases during the 24 hr Bitcoin Day period in *total*.  It will be interesting to see how much we have grown by.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
mrjeff

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:17:53 PM

Where do you see that they have refused to even consider releasing the numbers for bitcoin transactions via BitPay for black friday? Also, Black Friday is not even half-over is some places...it's only 2:00pm on the west coast and we're complaining that bitpay hasn't released black friday numbers?
revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:19:08 PM

Of course they suck. For the last 30 days or so, BTC has mostly been hoarded. And it'll continue to be hoarded until new money is convinced they'll be buying the top and hold off.

It is disappointing that they will not clarify just how awful they were though, but then I suppose they have investors to consider.
revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:19:51 PM

Where do you see that they have refused to even consider releasing the numbers for bitcoin transactions via BitPay for black friday? Also, Black Friday is not even half-over is some places...it's only 2:00pm on the west coast and we're complaining that bitpay hasn't released black friday numbers?

It has been ruled out though, be in tomorrow, next week or next year.
mrjeff

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:24:14 PM

Show me the statement from bitpay that it has been ruled out. 
revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:25:31 PM

It's in the comments section on reddit
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:28:23 PM

For most of the rest of the world black friday is our hunger games where we watch desperate poor people fight each other for baubles.

Man speaks the truth.

mrjeff

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:30:32 PM

It's in the comments section on reddit

Bitpay hasn't posted anything to reddit in the last day and the post on reddit was made 2 hours ago.  Can you please link to the statement you are referring to?  You can link to individual comments on reddit if you need to.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:34:31 PM

Revans' ignore tag is glowing for a reason.  He is not telling the truth.

Last year BitPay did 99 transactions on Bitcoin Day.  You can confirm this by reading the quote from Tony Gallippi here:

http://codinginmysleep.com/bitcoin-friday-results/

I expect BitPay's total transaction numbers for today to be significantly higher.  The price of bitcoin has gone up by roughly a factor of 100 since Bitcoin Day last year.  I wonder if BitPay's transactions will be greater or less than 100 x 99  = 9900 (99 being what they did last year)?  

KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:44:38 AM

I made 30-40 BitPay transactions via Gyft.com today. I spent a few BTC loading up on gift cards and then spent some of those on Amazon. I spent more dough for this holiday season than any other in my life, all in Bitcoin, all today. Thanks to Coinbase + Gyft/BitPay + Amazon.

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:54:25 AM

I made 30-40 BitPay transactions via Gyft.com today. I spent a few BTC loading up on gift cards and then spent some of those on Amazon. I spent more dough for this holiday season than any other in my life, all in Bitcoin, all today. Thanks to Coinbase + Gyft/BitPay + Amazon.

I thought my 10 BitPay transactions (so far today) was good.  Nice work!  Christmas shopping today exclusively with bitcoin has really opened my eyes to how quickly retailers (albiet typically small niche retailers) are coming on board.  As you pointed out, Gyft is making a huge contribution too.

karlmarxxx

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:19:14 AM

Bitpay twitter suggests record volume in transactions, so this thread should close...

BitPay ‏@bitpay 5h
We are seeing record #bitcoin transaction volume today.  #bitcoinblackfriday
revans (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:26:39 AM

Bitpay twitter suggests record volume in transactions, so this thread should close...

BitPay ‏@bitpay 5h
We are seeing record #bitcoin transaction volume today.  #bitcoinblackfriday

If last year's dismal showing is the metric of comparison I don't think there is much to get excited about
chrsjrcj

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:47:19 AM

This thread is a joke.

Bitpay has absolutely zero obligation to release there numbers, and Black Friday isn't even over yet. I've been away from home all day, and have finally been able to spend my coins.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:45:57 AM

Bitpay is crashing and burning at the moment.  Go to any of their merchants and try to buy something.  If the numbers suck, it'll be because they suck.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Odrec

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:49:20 AM

Was anyone expecting anything different?? Tongue

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:30:36 AM

All I see on the speculation subforum are posts by people who believe we`re going to see $10,000 per coin soon or some other wildly optimistic number, yet I also see many of the same people writing that they used their bitcoins this week for shopping. Why would you shop with your coins if you think they`ll be worth 10x (or whatever figure) next year? Is everyone here insane or what?

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: