Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:05:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I propose we merge custom hardware into mining hardware  (Read 8147 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:36:58 PM

ugh this is bad idea because we would need to make a separate sub-forum for "scrypt" mining and "SHA256" mining.  Right now custom hardware is de facto SHA256 mining and mining is scrypt mining.

This is bitcointalk forum and last time I checked Bitcoin only uses a single hashing algorithm.  The moderators created an altcoin subform for off topic threads.
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:44:55 PM

I think we should split it into 55nm or greater miners and 55 nm and below.

And maybe have a GPU/CPU forum too for computer stuff.

Grin

Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:22:04 PM

+1
GodHatesFigs

Activity: 557
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:13:47 AM

Yes, merge them!
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:05:31 AM

Why screw-up a good thing?  Isn't the Custom Hardware subforum one of the most popular?  The other Hardware subforum is full of boring garbage most of the time.
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 06:48:11 PM

I think just a General Hardware section and a Hardware Development section would be good.

Also, something should be done with Group Buys to separate "shares in something" offers vs straight hardware sales. I'm tired of pawing through 100 "KNCMINER Shares xxxx" threads looking for straight hardware vendors with products to sell.

Maybe there should be a Mining Securities section for shared mining buys, and Mining Market for hardware sellers? Otherwise all of the shared mining stuff ends up in the normal Securities area.

Also, add an Altcoin mining section, or remove all of the Altcoin areas on Bitcointalk and be done with it. Unless this is done altcoin mining stuff will simply end up in the mining areas, which adds to the clutter when it should be pure Bitcoin mining.

Just thoughts, but it seems like things could be organized better. Currently all of this information is difficult to find and sift through to find what you are looking for.

brioche

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 11:12:49 AM

I propose we merge custom hardware into mining hardware: All viable bitcoin mining hardware today is "custom" to some extent. I also propose we create a "mining hardware development" subforum to host the small amount of actual development discussion.

Thoughts?
I agree this would remove some of the clutter.
ugh this is bad idea because we would need to make a separate sub-forum for "scrypt" mining and "SHA256" mining.  Right now custom hardware is de facto SHA256 mining and mining is scrypt mining.

Could we also get a "mining hardware development" subforum for the Alternate cryptocurrencies section to make it easier to navigate? I realize this site is really only intended for Bitcoin but right now its a mad-house in the Altcoins section Tongue

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
North Carolina ❖ First in Flight ❖ /   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:41:46 PM

I agree, I think it's time we cleaned up and made some new sub forums to accommodate for the shift in hardware, GPU mining is pretty much dead now.
I think we should discuss on the best type of new boards to add/remove and go from there. We should archive the old posts, maybe have a few sub forums made in the current archive for this to preserve information.

On the topic of altcoins, this is bitcointalk, you guys are lucky enough we accommodate you already. I don't want to see altcoin discussion anywhere but the currently designated section.

eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 06:57:14 PM

Good idea. Move groupbuys to marketplace as well.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:04:26 PM

I concur, merge them.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:55:53 PM

Until the resistance to discussing alt-coin mining on BTCTalk subsides, I prefer having "mining hardware" and "custom hardware" separate.

We can still discuss covertly there, although Im pretty sure a lot of the alt coin mining talk is moving over to the Litecoin Forums.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:58:15 PM

I don't want to see altcoin discussion anywhere but the currently designated section.

The problem is, we have a SINGLE altcoin sub-forum and its a cesspool most posters wont touch with a 10-ft pole.

Im a big Litecoin guy and I havent been in that sub-forum for months, its beyond worthless now, was good up through Spring 2013.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:07:33 PM

I don't want to see altcoin discussion anywhere but the currently designated section.

The problem is, we have a SINGLE altcoin sub-forum and its a cesspool most posters wont touch with a 10-ft pole.

Im a big Litecoin guy and I havent been in that sub-forum for months, its beyond worthless now, was good up through Spring 2013.

No offense intended, you seem like a decent chap and all.  But is it just my perception or are most alt-coin miners a bunch of immature tools?  Maybe I've just spent too much time reading the troll box on BTC-e, lol.  I haven't seen that much stupid except in YouTube comments.
xzempt

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:10:22 PM

I propose we ban preorders from startup companies!
leckey

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 12:01:42 AM

Definitely. The Regular mining board just seems to be discussions on GPU mining. Like, who does that nowadays?

GodfatherBond

Activity: 264

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:44:33 PM

Good idea, let's go.
tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:50:17 PM

I agree, I think it's time we cleaned up and made some new sub forums to accommodate for the shift in hardware, GPU mining is pretty much dead now.
I think we should discuss on the best type of new boards to add/remove and go from there. We should archive the old posts, maybe have a few sub forums made in the current archive for this to preserve information.

On the topic of altcoins, this is bitcointalk, you guys are lucky enough we accommodate you already. I don't want to see altcoin discussion anywhere but the currently designated section.

Keep thinking that GPU mining is dead... my 4 year old GPU makes more BTC daily than a jally, go figure...

http://middlecoin.com/reports/12VAmD4rwXWMdMgPEYBNPU7RiP5yYmnuvL.html
Tongue

QFT

And the custom hardware forum is just as much of a mess most of the time, I like having the hardware forum separate, helps keep things manageable to read and keep track of.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:00:02 AM

Do it already!

MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:23:14 AM

Anyone have suggestions for new sub forums in here?

slike321

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:34:41 AM

Wonderful idea - makes total sense in the reality of bitcoin mining today
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: