Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:04:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I propose we merge custom hardware into mining hardware  (Read 8147 times)
AdamKD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

How about rename the forums to:

"Mining Hardware" (Mining Hardware)
and
"Hardware Development" (Custom Hardware)

Then, accordingly, based on a set date start filtering messages.
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 06:30:03 PM

I don't want to see altcoin discussion anywhere but the currently designated section.

The problem is, we have a SINGLE altcoin sub-forum and its a cesspool most posters wont touch with a 10-ft pole.

Im a big Litecoin guy and I havent been in that sub-forum for months, its beyond worthless now, was good up through Spring 2013.

No offense intended, you seem like a decent chap and all.  But is it just my perception or are most alt-coin miners a bunch of immature tools?  Maybe I've just spent too much time reading the troll box on BTC-e, lol.  I haven't seen that much stupid except in YouTube comments.

Nope, but people invested a lot in infrastructure and LTC is the next stop if you don't feel like selling off old hardware.  Turns a decent penny now these days with the x-fold price increase as well.  That said, agree, the alt subforum is indeed a cesspool and could be handled slightly better.

Back on hardware, I agree with whoever up there that it would be great to separate group buys from regular sales and "share" sales.  You take one look at the Group Buys section and it's literally like someone threw up ascii in table rows with some of the same names holding a majority of the posts (and mainly shares).
Ex0deus

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 05:17:13 PM

sounds like a great idea to me... it's all pretty much the same thing anyways.... might as well have all the relevant info in one thread... this forum is already a chore to parse over for info... so much here... the more organized it can be ... the better Smiley

But what else could you expect from a forum as large as this one is.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 07:22:56 PM

Agreed. My big post here on Jallies is really about hardware. No reason it should be in a subforum.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 09:32:48 PM

So what are we waiting for?

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:39:41 PM

No clue. How do I move my thread?
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:56:09 PM

How about designating the four forms of hardware...

Mining: GPU
Mining: FPGA
Mining: ASIC
Mining: Experimental/Future-tech

Until another form of "Experimantal/Future-tech", becomes "Something Named".

GPU's are not dead, thanks to scrypt and up-coming GPU's.
FPGA's are a specific form, solid in development, no longer experimental.
ASIC's are the current form, no-longer the future or experimental/custom.
While the last group would be designated for any of those, being used for "development" or "modification", to be something more, or something new, or just experimental. (Watches, phones, tablets, non-standard hardware toys, unreleased/DIY ASIC's.)

Seems logical to me. Merge and then create four new specific groups for us to fill with new posts. Or archive and move, what you can.
gmaxwell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8426

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 03:09:20 AM

GPUs are dead for Bitcoin mining, they may be dead for scrypt in the not so distant future, but they're certainly dead for Bitcoin. Non-bitcoin threads are moved into the altcoin subforum already. I believe this is non-negotiable.

There is relatively little FPGA discussion these days. I'm not aware of any projects doing interesting miners on the latest generation (28nm) FPGAs. Regardless, I don't believe there is enough traffic for it.

I do think there is perhaps a point in having a subforum for experimentation, hardware design, etc. But we can create one later.

I've asked theymos to manually update the database to move all the threads here to hardware, and close the custom hardware form. I haven't heard back yet.
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:45:07 AM

I agree although I think there should be a section somewhere for GPU's (Even if they are for alts) as they are/where a vital piece of bitcoin and it's history.
aphorise

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:43:50 AM

Agreed - Merge!

ASIC or otherwise - it can also be argued that most tech existent or forthcoming is custom - least in terms of PCB, components used, connectivity / chaining,  number of chips & eg - subsequent over-power / over-clocking capabilities (if any).
Quix

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:02:51 AM

You'd be better off moving everything in the "Hardware" section now into a subforum called "Scrypt Mining Hardware" or "GPU Mining Hardware" and moving all the content from "Custom hardware" into the main "Hardware" section.

That was no one is losing any threads but this forum remains Bitcoin-focused.
cchan

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:06:45 PM

Mining hardware
Mining development/adventure
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 09:44:25 PM

Mining hardware
Mining development/adventure
You left out
New hardware preorder and scam announcements

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
drifting

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:41:14 AM

I think this is a great idea. Would make it a lot easier than having to check both forums to try and find mining gear

Possible subforums could be
- ASIC
- FPGA
- GPU/computer hardware: so not just vid cards, but also the risers, usb hubs etc...

I don't know if a "other" sub-category would make sense. Or maybe "combine computer" with "other"...

Grin

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:30:48 PM

So?

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:49:19 PM

I agree, these days most mining is done with FPGA/ASIC's

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
drukoz

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:48:07 PM

yepyepyepyep tired of checking 3 forums every day

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BBzwiwL76AkPGE42qN3FrpC1efuSoFoAxc
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 04:20:19 AM

Agreed. I saw this coming back when we were debating making a new forum for custom hardware, I mentioned that hardware should be the child board since GPUs would soon be defunct, and asics would be the new hotness, but they moved ahead with it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
jungle_dave

Activity: 200

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:56:50 PM

I like to stay on top of whats being developed in the mining world and think merging is a great idea.
Its a bit scattered at the moment and this would be an improvement.
I also agree with keeping it sha-256 relevant, this is bitcointalk.com after all.

Keep up the good work !
capa

Activity: 138

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:50:23 AM

ya merge it.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: