Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:25:02 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: cgmon - mining monitor for Linux - auto restart, reboot, sick gpu, ASIC, &more  (Read 48246 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MrBobC

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:21:55 AM

I noticed just now after downloading the new cgmon that my log file says it is 0.1b8.  Did you do another release or is it mislabelled?
dr00g

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:44:51 PM

No problem guys, it's great we can make this work for everyone!

jdape:
I was thinking, how do you feel about using my implementation of settings?
I think that is a lot easier to get an overview of, also you can use commented lines to make notes and "disable" options.

Also, more pools would be great, I have 5 pools in my version, which I change between.

I know my implementation is very static, but I guess it could be a lot prettier by using some lists (I am TCL noob).
mig5000

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:50:12 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 06:02:54 PM by mig5000

Status: PHP Warning:  socket_read(): unable to read from socket [104]: Connection reset by peer in /tmp/cgmon-api.php on line 35

I have this error happening. I believe that it's because I run Anubis on the side and Anubis makes the socket_read() impossible on cgmon side from time to time. Any quick way to solve this ?

Thanks

*Not Anubis's fault. I stopped pointing on that particular miner and it crashed again. I cannot go 10 minutes w/o it crashing because of that. Not sure what's wrong. Will disable it in the meantime.
mig5000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:29:31 PM

I think I found what the problem was. I added api-allow in the cgminer extra-options. Seems it didn't like it for some reason. It would crash after 5 mins~.

Should I put that in the Gpu_options ? Or else ?
dr00g

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:09:04 PM

Try adding an extra line:

At line 102:
# cgminer is not running, restart it.
notice "$cgminer_exec not running, starting..."
notice "$mining_command"

With the extra line you can see the cgminer command when you run cgmon. Makes it a little easier to debug invalid arguments.
mig5000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:41:41 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 10:05:49 PM by mig5000

/home/miner/sgminer-4.0.0/sgminer --api-listen  -o stratum+tcp://XXXX -u XXX-p XXX-g 1 -w 256 --gpu-engine 1100 --gpu-memclock 1250 --xintensity 409 --thread-concurrency 21568 -g 1 --auto-fan --temp-target 75 --gpu-powertune 20 --queue 1 --scan-time 7 --expiry 28

My command line... Weird thing is that if I don'T run cgmon, my miner is quite stable usually. I'm a bit clueless why I would get these PHP errors now.
funkycold

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:02:31 AM

Try adding an extra line:

At line 102:
# cgminer is not running, restart it.
notice "$cgminer_exec not running, starting..."
notice "$mining_command"

With the extra line you can see the cgminer command when you run cgmon. Makes it a little easier to debug invalid arguments.

Thx thats a great addition!

I having an issue starting sgminer from cgmon.
It says "sgminer not running, starting.....
then it shows my config file (with your new addition line 102 command)
sgminer started successfully"

but nothing.....sgminer doesnt start at all...

If i start sgminer manually, it works...

Any ideas whats going on? cgminer doesnt have this issue.
here is what im doing different from cgminer to sgminer

set cgminer_exec "sgminer"
set cgminer_path "/my/path/to/sgminer/"
set use_sgminer "yes"

again, I have a shell file which starts sgminer just fine...but why isnt cgmon working?

what am i missing here?

UPDATE!!!!   

I had a "-" missing in front of the "I" in my config file.....aaarrrgghhhhhhhhh........
if it wasnt for your new command line 102  addition i would have never seen the mistake!!!

Great WORK!!! you saved me hours of debugging!!!

thx

rorbit

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:21:01 PM

Hi, thanks for the script.

I've undervolted my 7950 and am now looking for stable clock speeds.  CGMon did its job and restarted after two crashes during the night.  Are these crashes due to undervolting bad for the card?

CGMon works well until I induce what I think is an AMD driver crash by manually increasing the clock speeds.  The entire system goes down.  OS is unresponsive.  I can't SSH in.

However, the cron job continues to call CGMon every five minutes.

After a hard reboot I checked the log files.  Each time CGMon was started it hung at this point:

# cgminer IS running.  Check if GPUs are healthy.
catch {exec php -f $cgminer_api notify | grep "=>" | grep "Last Not Well"} argx

Any ideas?
bobers

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:45:06 PM

where is cgmon.tcl at BAMT?
dr00g

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:04:06 PM

funkycold:
Good to hear you fixed it, it was for that reason I originally added that line, helps you out quite a lot, especially when you are tired! Wink

rorbit:
I have a few times myself experienced that touching the clock speeds when, in my case, sgminer is running, and it locks up.
Doesn't always happen though...

bobers:
As it should (you guys with BAMT will have to give us some feedback) already work in BAMT, it's pretty easy to install.
If it will be included in BAMT as default, well, that is up to jdape and the BAMT developer Smiley
funkycold

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:31:06 PM

funkycold:
Good to hear you fixed it, it was for that reason I originally added that line, helps you out quite a lot, especially when you are tired! Wink

rorbit:
I have a few times myself experienced that touching the clock speeds when, in my case, sgminer is running, and it locks up.
Doesn't always happen though...

bobers:
As it should (you guys with BAMT will have to give us some feedback) already work in BAMT, it's pretty easy to install.
If it will be included in BAMT as default, well, that is up to jdape and the BAMT developer Smiley

Never Liked BAMT (sorry just my Opinion). It kept giving me errors, had a terrible experience with it. Ubuntu is the only way to go IMO not even Xubuntu.
dr00g

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:12:09 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 09:55:11 PM by dr00g

Also had a few issues with Xubuntu, but good old 12.10 seem to work for me...

Thinking about trying to use CentOS instead, if not a smaller, more suitable distro for mining.

Btw, it doesn't seem like the cron job is writing to the logfile, unless I change it to this:
* * * * * root /home/username/cgmon.tcl >> /home/username/cgmon.log

Else it ends up as a log file in /root/cgmon.log.
On another note, might be because I had set my logpath to ~/cgmon.log, and then it runs as root... Just a little heads up!
jdape (OP)

Activity: 269

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:45:10 AM

Hi, thanks for the script.

I've undervolted my 7950 and am now looking for stable clock speeds.  CGMon did its job and restarted after two crashes during the night.  Are these crashes due to undervolting bad for the card?

CGMon works well until I induce what I think is an AMD driver crash by manually increasing the clock speeds.  The entire system goes down.  OS is unresponsive.  I can't SSH in.

However, the cron job continues to call CGMon every five minutes.

After a hard reboot I checked the log files.  Each time CGMon was started it hung at this point:

# cgminer IS running.  Check if GPUs are healthy.
catch {exec php -f $cgminer_api notify | grep "=>" | grep "Last Not Well"} argx

Any ideas?

Sounds like cgmon is waiting to get a reply from cgminer/sgminer but because cgminer or sgminer is frozen, cgmon doesnt know what to do.    I'll add a new feature shortly to detect this situation and reboot as appropriate.

Fork Networking - VPS, Colocation, Dedicated Servers for Bitcoin & Litecoin. Since 1994! www.forked.net
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

Also had a few issues with Xubuntu, but good old 12.10 seem to work for me...

Thinking about trying to use CentOS instead, if not a smaller, more suitable distro for mining.

Btw, it doesn't seem like the cron job is writing to the logfile, unless I change it to this:
* * * * * root /home/username/cgmon.tcl >> /home/username/cgmon.log

Else it ends up as a log file in /root/cgmon.log.
On another note, might be because I had set my logpath to ~/cgmon.log, and then it runs as root... Just a little heads up!

I too was losing messages when running via root Smiley

The last few cgmon versions use this for the logfile location:

Code:
set cgmon_logfile "~$mining_user/cgmon.log"

This way the messages always go to the correct location. 

Fork Networking - VPS, Colocation, Dedicated Servers for Bitcoin & Litecoin. Since 1994! www.forked.net
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 03:02:21 AM

where is cgmon.tcl at BAMT?

You can place it anywhere in your BAMT installation.  Sorry If I have misunderstood your question.

jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 03:03:49 AM

0.1b9 is out.

# 0.1b8
#   All messages now correctly specify the currently running mining software (i.e. cgminer or sgminer, etc.)
# 0.1b9
#   Fixed bug with custom cgminer_path
#   If a local mining_exec is found and no executable is installed globally nor via custom_path, local exec will be used.
#   The actual mining command is now displayed when mining is attempted.  This will help immensely with finding problems.   Thanks for the idea dr00g!

tenaciouzd

Activity: 256

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:14:56 AM

Is there a guide somewhere to set this up for BAMT. Sorry, I don't have a PhD in Linux to understand all the shit inside the file when I open it in leafpad. Shit, it took me long enough just to find where the hell it saved it to. But I definately would love the features this says it can offer. So I am willing to learn.
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 05:20:02 AM

aaaaand 10.

# 0.1b10
#   Added support for up to 5 mining pools.
#   Now really checks to see if the mining command worked and if miner is running.  Sends email/notice upon success.  If not, displays suggestion for fixing. 
#   Now logs the command used to mine for success and failure.   Easier troubleshooting.
#   Cleaned up configuration and instructions.
#   Now has GPU options at the top of cgmon.tcl since that line gets edited the most.

Angela8488

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:03:47 AM

I am wondering can i custom the default screen session name (dot+hostname ) to anything i want.
can you provide a variable in next version
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 06:45:33 AM

whew.

# 0.1b11
#   Added detection of unresponsive cgminer/sgminer.

The API file has changed.   If you have been using a previous version of cgmon and you want to enable this feature -- delete /tmp/cgmon-api.php (or just reboot the computer).  It will get recreated automatically on the next run. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: