Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:09:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: cgmon - mining monitor for Linux - auto restart, reboot, sick gpu, ASIC, &more  (Read 48248 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MrBobC

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:59:33 PM

Okay, here's one.  Moving from Scrypt GPU to Scrypt ASIC, I have an RPi with Scripta.  Would this work with it or would it require different things since it's not Linux/BAMT/SMOS?  Scripta says it is Debian-based.  I use this on all my GPU miners, but it would be great to have it also work with the ASICs.
haggis

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:25:38 PM

Kael, I'm using your updated installscript on BAMT 1.6 without the modifications in cgmon.tcl and it works flawlessly! Smiley

Thank you very much!
freskhu

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:05:56 PM

hi there,

When i have a gpu sick, the gmon detects, o receive an email but the rig dont reboot, any idea?
check print of logo:

http://prntscr.com/3100l7

The email i receive:

http://prntscr.com/31012z
jdape (OP)

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:36:19 PM

hi there,

When i have a gpu sick, the gmon detects, o receive an email but the rig dont reboot, any idea?
check print of logo:

http://prntscr.com/3100l7

The email i receive:

http://prntscr.com/31012z

Are you sure it's not rebooting?  Judging by how the sick GPU is back to hashing two minutes later, it seems likely your rig has already rebooted.

Fork Networking - VPS, Colocation, Dedicated Servers for Bitcoin & Litecoin. Since 1994! www.forked.net
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:39:25 PM

To Jdape and the community here,
Is there any additional official/unofficial documentation on cgmon? I'm specifically looking to see if I can pass new values to cgminer while its running and how to check cgmon's (or cgminers) current status via ssh. Apologies if this was covered at some point and I missed it.

Cheers,
- VR

Code:
screen -r

That will drop you right into the running mining process.

Fork Networking - VPS, Colocation, Dedicated Servers for Bitcoin & Litecoin. Since 1994! www.forked.net
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:40:25 PM

Okay, here's one.  Moving from Scrypt GPU to Scrypt ASIC, I have an RPi with Scripta.  Would this work with it or would it require different things since it's not Linux/BAMT/SMOS?  Scripta says it is Debian-based.  I use this on all my GPU miners, but it would be great to have it also work with the ASICs.

I suspect it will work without any modification.  Post here if it does.  If it doesn't work I can probably get it working for you Smiley

jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:43:18 PM

Hi! tnx for great script!
but it is very sad to see this on my rig at mornings

Mar 03 20:00:02 bamt-miner - cgmon 1.0.8 - sgminer running and all GPUs healthy.
Mar 03 20:02:01 bamt-miner - cgmon 1.0.8 - sgminer running and all GPUs healthy.
Mar 03 20:04:03 bamt-miner - cgmon 1.0.8 - sgminer running and all GPUs healthy.
Mar 03 20:06:11 bamt-miner - sgminer is not responding.  Rebooting.
Mar 03 20:06:21 bamt-miner -
Mar 03 20:08:44 bamt-miner - sgminer not running, starting via this command:
Mar 03 20:08:44 bamt-miner - /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer --api-listen   -c /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer.conf
Mar 03 20:08:45 bamt-miner - sgminer started successfully.  Use 'screen -r' to attach to sgminer and Control-a-d to detach.
Mar 03 20:10:01 bamt-miner - sgminer not running, starting via this command:
Mar 03 20:10:01 bamt-miner - /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer --api-listen   -c /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer.conf
Mar 03 20:10:02 bamt-miner - sgminer failed to start.  Try running the mining command above to find the error.  Also, double check your GPU options.
Mar 03 20:12:01 bamt-miner - sgminer not running, starting via this command:
Mar 03 20:12:01 bamt-miner - /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer --api-listen   -c /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer.conf
Mar 03 20:12:02 bamt-miner - sgminer failed to start.  Try running the mining command above to find the error.  Also, double check your GPU options.
Mar 03 20:14:01 bamt-miner - sgminer not running, starting via this command:
Mar 03 20:14:01 bamt-miner - /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer --api-listen   -c /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer.conf
Mar 03 20:14:02 bamt-miner - sgminer failed to start.  Try running the mining command above to find the error.  Also, double check your GPU options.

sometimes X is not starting after reboot and cgmon restart sgminer in endless cycle. maybe rebooting rig after N failed starts will be good solution?

I bet there's an error in your .conf file.  What happens when you run the command manually?

Code:
/opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer --api-listen   -c /opt/miners/sph-sgminer/sgminer.conf

Are you running as root or another user?  Could also be a permissions issue.  Either way, running it by hand should show the problem.

jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:44:27 PM

I use BAMT 1.5 and always use "sync;coldreboot" to reboot the machine. What do I need to change in the script to use it with cgmon, too?

Code:
		if {$conf(BAMT) == "yes"} {
after 5000
catch {exec reboot -f -n} out
to:
Code:
		if {$conf(BAMT) == "yes"} {
after 5000
catch {exec sync;coldreboot} out

jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:45:53 PM

Script always instantly wants to shut down my rig after execution...

Code:
root@cryptominer-pl:/home/user/Downloads# ./cgmon.tcl
Mar 07 17:33:45 cryptominer-pl - GPU 0 is sick or dead, rebooting...

Broadcast Message from root@cryptominer-pl                                     
        (somewhere) at 17:33 ...                                               

GPU 0 DEAD - Rebooting in 10s...                                               

Code:
Time         Total    gpu0    gpu1
17:39:35    970.30  485.20  485.10
17:39:42    967.60  484.00  483.60
17:39:42    967.90  484.00  483.90

Not SMOS 1.3 by beebee with coinvert script, mining scrypt with cgminer-karloth.

What mining software are you using?  cgminer?  Whatever it is, it's reporting that your GPU 0 is not well via the API.

hotrock

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:48:00 PM

I would like to thank jdape for putting this program together. It is amazing!

Also, I couldn't have gotten this running without the help from Kael and his BAMT guide.

Between the two of you specifically I couldn't have kept my rig up and running as efficiently as I can now. Asic hangs were killing me. My alternative was to reboot every hour and hope for the best. I know a few others have helped with this and I thank them too.

Only think I had to change was the reboot to echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger to keep BAMT from hanging on reboot.
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:53:25 PM

Could you please help solving the issue.
When the scrypt starts - cgminer waits for some time and than says smth like "waiting for work from pool" and in log it is written: "cgminer API is not enabled/responding". If I start cgminer manualy without cgmon it works fine.
What should I do to get things work? May be I have to open some port for api?

Check that the permissions of your mining directory allow read/write access for the username that the miner is running as ($conf(mining_user)).

rough example:

Code:
chmod -R 755 /home/user/mining_directory/*
chown -R user /home/user/*

jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:55:51 PM

FYI, there's only been one donation so far... Even a tiny amount would show your appreciation.  Cheers!

jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:56:48 PM

I would like to thank jdape for putting this program together. It is amazing!

You're welcome!   Cheesy

hotrock

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:38:44 PM

FYI, there's only been one donation so far... Even a tiny amount would show your appreciation.  Cheers!

Once I get some coin mined there will be second donation. Have no fear!
kinsik

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:03:12 PM

What command and where in the code of the script should I add it to start the miner not immediately after boot but in 15 seconds?
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 08:47:39 PM

What command and where in the code of the script should I add it to start the miner not immediately after boot but in 15 seconds?

Code:
# start
check_status
to:
Code:
# start
after 15000
check_status

zodiac

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:11:06 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 02:21:05 PM by zodiac

Dear jpade,
I guess I'm doing something wrong... Followed your instrusions in the TCL file, configured everything but still it doesn't work. I tried to run it manually by using:
Yes, I'm on gmail...
I guess I don't have SASL installed or some link to it is not there... I'm usually able to figure these small things by myself but I'm kinda stuck on this one
I have installed SASL using:

Code:
sudo apt-get install postfix sasl2-bin
Trying to configure postfix to the best of my abilities, will update soon...
Just saw I needed to do:
Code:
# Ubuntu: apt-get install tcllib tcl-tls
Solved this one...

I put the line in crontab and it looks like that:
Code:
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file
# and files in /etc/cron.d. These files also have username fields,
# that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user command
2  * * * * root /home/dogger/Downloads/cgmon.tcl >/dev/null 2>&1
17 * * * * root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
47 6 * * 7 root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly )
52 6 1 * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly )
#
But, when I reboot the script doesn't work, any solution? It starts automatically but it takes it 3-70 minutes to start after my OS has completely booted, it sometimes starts only one GPU and sometimes it starts both, any insites on these matters?  
I'm on Ubuntu 13.10, 2X290X with cgminer.

Also, if my account is password protected (I disabled it for the time being), will the reboot work or will it get stuck on the enter password to login screen?

Thank you for all your work Smiley
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:46:27 PM

Code:
2  *	* * *	root	/home/dogger/Downloads/cgmon.tcl >/dev/null 2>&1
But, when I reboot the script doesn't work, any solution? It starts automatically but it takes it 3-70 minutes to start after my OS has completely booted, it sometimes starts only one GPU and sometimes it starts both, any insites on these matters?  
I'm on Ubuntu 13.10, 2X290X with cgminer.

Also, if my account is password protected (I disabled it for the time being), will the reboot work or will it get stuck on the enter password to login screen?

Thank you for all your work Smiley

Hi,

You're welcome.  Sounds like you have most of it figured out now...

Your crontab is currently configured to run on the second minute of every hour.  If you want it to run every 2 minutes you need a '*/2' instead of just '2'.

You won't need to enter any passwords.

Cheers!

zodiac

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:57:21 PM

Dear jpade,
I understand what I did wrong now. But by now I tried to do some debugging myself, I tried:
Code:
crontab -e
And it showed me a different file then the one I edited. I'm guessing you pointed me to a more general file and "crontab -e" gives a user specific crontab file. I ended up thinking why not just use the GUI for "startup applications", press "add", browse to cgmon.tcl location, add description and some comment, and what do you know, works like a charm. Starts right after unity boots every time. I don't know the implications of me running like this, do you think your method better handles things?

I added:
Code:
# start
after 60000
check_status
So the wireless network adapter will have enough time to reconnect.
jdape (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 01:22:18 AM

And it showed me a different file then the one I edited. I'm guessing you pointed me to a more general file and "crontab -e" gives a user specific crontab file. I ended up thinking why not just use the GUI for "startup applications", press "add", browse to cgmon.tcl location, add description and some comment, and what do you know, works like a charm. Starts right after unity boots every time. I don't know the implications of me running like this, do you think your method better handles things?

Yep... that will run cgmon once at boot.  cgmon needs to be run every few minutes, 24/7.  That's where the cronjob comes in.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: