Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:55:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with this picture?  (Read 865 times)
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:05:16 AM

US dollar is a mess, euro is a mess, the whole fiat world is a mess.
And yet bitcoin is in a continuous downward spiral?  Give me a break...
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vulgata

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:11:05 AM

It's completely unrelated; Bitcoin is still way too small, untested, and "unsafe" for normal people to use.  It's like asking why WOW gold isn't reacting to the recent financial crises.
BillX

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:13:23 AM

It's completely unrelated; Bitcoin is still way too small, untested, and "unsafe" for normal people to use.  It's like asking why WOW gold isn't reacting to the recent financial crises.

Ill take Second Life Lindens any day over WoW gold! Tongue
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:15:13 AM

+1  This is it exactly. Bitcoin is too niche and "wierd" for it to have much connection with the international market movements (yet).
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:33:29 AM

True, bitcoin is too small, young, and somewhat "untested", but there's no comparison between bitcoin and WOW gold.

Its valuation should follow the direction of physical gold and silver, not in the opposite direction.

vulgata

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:55:36 AM

True, bitcoin is too small, young, and somewhat "untested", but there's no comparison between bitcoin and WOW gold.

Obviously they are completely different, but from the mainstream financial world's point of view there is no difference.  Actually, there is; Blizzard is a huge corporation that has time-tested servers running the world's largest MMORPG for years, while Bitcoin is an underground P2P network with a history of repeated thefts, security breaches, scams, black markets, illegal drugs, gambling, and crazy bubbles/speculation/market manipulation.

Its valuation should follow the direction of physical gold and silver, not in the opposite direction.

It "should" only if people treat it similarly, but while the ideas are similar, the trust placed in them by the market are not.  I could draw a piece of modern art by throwing paint on a piece of paper, and it would be impossible to recreate (since only the original is worth anything), rare, stored/transported relatively easy, etc., but I couldn't sell it for the billions a real masterpiece is worth until everyone else agrees.  Actually the art trade is very similar to precious metals/Bitcoin as they also have no value until people say they do.  (Yes, art can be used for decoration and gold can be used for electronics, but we have more than enough gold/art for those needs.)

Don't get me wrong, I am a full supporter of Bitcoins, I believe it is brilliant/revolutionary, and I own some myself, but I think we have to be a little more realistic and not start comparing it to the worlds' major reserve currencies right off the bat...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: