Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:45:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going on in the market?  (Read 1724 times)
Pumperdumper (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 08:32:10 PM

Hello everyone - I don't usually put up posts, but I was curious on what everyone is seeing for this recent market upswing.

This is the second time in the last 4 months we've gone from 250bn market cap to over 400bn. Very much a yo-yo effect.

We've seen the market press hype cool down - so what is causing the market to go back up? If you could all please post some real world news that would be much appreciated. Doesn't have to be news from a news source - could be numbers from block explorers, investment news, just something that can be tied down to a FIAT value being put into crypto.

For me (a little bit of a conspiracy theorist)

USD Tether gains FIAT value in Q3 to Q4 of 2017 -> Moves FIAT value to Noble Bank -> "Legitimizes" USD Tether

BitConnect crisis occurs -> Loss of investor confidence -> Lack of market liquidity -> Correction

SEC opens with somewhat positive remarks to crypto as a whole -> Focus specifically on ICO scams

Discovery of Mt. Gox trustee -> Rumors spread -> Investor confidence drops further causing further slide

USD Tether media cools off -> USD Tether prints off more tokens beginning of April -> Stabilizes investor confidence

Stable coins begin emerging post USD Tether -> Markets keep resurfacing throughout April

May 7th SEC supposed to rule on Ethereum and XRP on whether they are securities (https://www.ethnews.com/sec-cftc-to-discuss-possible-securities-classification-of-ether-other-cryptocurrencies) -> Market effect Huh??

ICO fraud rumors (https://medium.com/@douglaslyons/ldj-capital-all-that-glitters-is-not-gold-ccbfc21ffd71) -> Market effect Huh??

I can provide links for any of those events - I just didn't want to spam links. It would be interesting to see if anyone can find info of "new" FIAT money going into Crypto which would give evidence of a bull market - especially if it is found from institutional sources. The opposite as well - if anyone has insights into how this could be a bull trap, that would be awesome to read.

As I said, goal is to pool together everyone's reading material for better clarity on current market events.

Please post your mother will die.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atrocityx

Activity: 336
Merit: 71

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:13:22 PM

In my opinion, sentiment, unlike the last two times, is changing. Institutional money is never really interested in catching falling daggers, so they just let coins bleed out without participating at all... noobs from the run-up in December-January who fomo'd switch to full FUD and through despair sent us through a capitulation period.  Institutional money then around 250-270 billion market cap started its accumulation phase after the last little bit of 200 day death cross was less severe than expected. Now that the bottom was found, and institutional money propped us up along with experienced people got their bags loaded with their favorite alts, its time for noobs to eventually step back in and really fomo this thing up to previous highs and eventually a market cap above 1 trillion by the end of the year.  One thing noobs never really understand is big whales make more money in smaller position trades over letting the market run .. everyone has their role to play.. the institutional money supporting or dumping and not participating, the whales looking for key areas to accumulate and dump to start it over, the smarter older fish who swim with whales as to not get eaten, and the classic noobies who fear missing out and panic.  Some of your things like SEC news, Mt Gox, and BitConnect have their role to play in this process, but I think its more of an institutional money creating an opportunity for a swing trade off of this over anyone really being scared.

May 7th SEC supposed to rule on Ethereum and XRP on whether they are securities (https://www.ethnews.com/sec-cftc-to-discuss-possible-securities-classification-of-ether-other-cryptocurrencies) -> Market effect Huh??

This, however, is a bit concerning.. but you'll likely know beforehand as the market reacts.. stuff like this will almost certainly be leaked and you'll see people in the know react accordingly. I have a hard time seeing how ETH as a security though... XRP can go to zero.. so I'm not concerned there.
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:37:48 PM

In my opinion, sentiment, unlike the last two times, is changing. Institutional money is never really interested in catching falling daggers, so they just let coins bleed out without participating at all... noobs from the run-up in December-January who fomo'd switch to full FUD and through despair sent us through a capitulation period.  Institutional money then around 250-270 billion market cap started its accumulation phase after the last little bit of 200 day death cross was less severe than expected. Now that the bottom was found, and institutional money propped us up along with experienced people got their bags loaded with their favorite alts, its time for noobs to eventually step back in and really fomo this thing up to previous highs and eventually a market cap above 1 trillion by the end of the year.  One thing noobs never really understand is big whales make more money in smaller position trades over letting the market run .. everyone has their role to play.. the institutional money supporting or dumping and not participating, the whales looking for key areas to accumulate and dump to start it over, the smarter older fish who swim with whales as to not get eaten, and the classic noobies who fear missing out and panic.  Some of your things like SEC news, Mt Gox, and BitConnect have their role to play in this process, but I think its more of an institutional money creating an opportunity for a swing trade off of this over anyone really being scared.

This, however, is a bit concerning.. but you'll likely know beforehand as the market reacts.. stuff like this will almost certainly be leaked and you'll see people in the know react accordingly. I have a hard time seeing how ETH as a security though... XRP can go to zero.. so I'm not concerned there.

Good points - and thank you for adding to the conversation.

One thing noted this week was Eth strong lead over the top 5 coins amid rumors of the SEC ruling (to me it says it won't put it down as a securities)

One thing that is also weird among this up trend from the market is the low daily volume. Today we're sitting at 27mil compared to 40mil early April when market was 250bn as you said. So we could see this yo-yo effect keep happening if the institutional investors as you mentioned don't buy into the FOMO / FUD and buy at their own price as the market crawls back.
Dwarf42

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:18:53 PM

Hello everyone - I don't usually put up posts, but I was curious on what everyone is seeing for this recent market upswing.

This is the second time in the last 4 months we've gone from 250bn market cap to over 400bn. Very much a yo-yo effect.

We've seen the market press hype cool down - so what is causing the market to go back up? If you could all please post some real world news that would be much appreciated. Doesn't have to be news from a news source - could be numbers from block explorers, investment news, just something that can be tied down to a FIAT value being put into crypto.

USD Tether gains FIAT value in Q3 to Q4 of 2017 -> Moves FIAT value to Noble Bank -> "Legitimizes" USD Tether

BitConnect crisis occurs -> Loss of investor confidence -> Lack of market liquidity -> Correction

SEC opens with somewhat positive remarks to crypto as a whole -> Focus specifically on ICO scams

Discovery of Mt. Gox trustee -> Rumors spread -> Investor confidence drops further causing further slide

USD Tether media cools off -> USD Tether prints off more tokens beginning of April -> Stabilizes investor confidence

Stable coins begin emerging post USD Tether -> Markets keep resurfacing throughout April

ICO fraud rumors (https://medium.com/@douglaslyons/ldj-capital-all-that-glitters-is-not-gold-ccbfc21ffd71) -> Market effect Huh??

I can provide links for any of those events - I just didn't want to spam links. It would be interesting to see if anyone can find info of "new" FIAT money going into Crypto which would give evidence of a bull market - especially if it is found from institutional sources. The opposite as well - if anyone has insights into how this could be a bull trap, that would be awesome to read.

As I said, goal is to pool together everyone's reading material for better clarity on current market events.

You can see that the market in recent days has reduced the number of transactions and all are waiting to see the static bitcoin. It can be seen that today's bitcoin price has shown signs of a spike when the moment has reached $ 9800 and still showing signs of slowing down. For technical analysis, bitcoin prices are showing divergence, indicating that buying is decreasing and selling pressure is increasing, so you need to be very careful when trading.
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 12:02:24 AM

You can see that the market in recent days has reduced the number of transactions and all are waiting to see the static bitcoin. It can be seen that today's bitcoin price has shown signs of a spike when the moment has reached $ 9800 and still showing signs of slowing down. For technical analysis, bitcoin prices are showing divergence, indicating that buying is decreasing and selling pressure is increasing, so you need to be very careful when trading.

Thank you for that advice.

Post January 5th our "strategy" was to purchase around 270-300bn (market cap) if it ever dipped to that level. Thankfully we stocked up twice over.

Speaking of your signs of slowing down - today it hasn't been able to move past 458bn cap. Eth at 788/unit and Btc at 9750/unit according to CMC.

When we first bought - Eth was 380 and Btc in the 6,700 range. By now - Eth has doubled and volume has slowed down.

We have yet to see what the Chinese market will do as it is just now waking up.

My gut feeling says that it will go up slightly further - once volume increases around the 35 - 38m / 24hr range, big bag holders will start to sell in mass unless something in the news sparks it one way or the other.
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:21:15 PM

Ethereum SEC meeting was complete FUD

No schedule anywhere of the time. Also being confirmed by multiple people on Twitter and some Analysts.
nsasuiteb

Activity: 406

BAILOUT

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:55:04 PM

No schedule anywhere of the time. Also being confirmed by multiple people on Twitter and some Analysts.

can't say this is a complete fud, some fundamentals never change, buy if eth is going down irrespective of the decision from sec, but I think this is actually a serious issue.

bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:40:30 PM

To me i think that the market is currently tradin gin a good mood. I  am sure that this will continue for a long time, because we are not expecting any wrong news in bitocin market for some time. i am hopeful that for next few months the market will remain as positive and we will see a very good increase in bitcoin price.
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:17:42 PM

I have been following the price of currency for quite some time now and one thing that I have find out is that currencies price do react to the news and international events more than any things and if you can analyze financial data and news that do come into the market you can easily predict the directions of price to some level of accuracy.  We are expecting to get some news that is going to push the market upwards some days to come.
yvesp110

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:28:32 PM

Nothing harsh is going with Bitcoin and other crypto currencies because this is just a joke now that Bitcoin or other crypto will end forever. The price and survival of Bitcoin has shown that it is living and will keep going on in the future for some more fast features that will attract the people more towards itself. The graph of Bitcoin to its demand is increasing and that is what we want for our future profit.
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:55:47 PM

can't say this is a complete fud, some fundamentals never change, buy if eth is going down irrespective of the decision from sec, but I think this is actually a serious issue.

The ability to scale will be an issue and it will show in price down the road IF they cannot solve the issue.

Lightning Network has made strides - but yet to be seen. Ethereum has 4-5 different options from Raiden to Sharding.

The big surprise lately has been Bcash.

Averaging 10-20% gains last 3 days or so. Impressive come back.

Volume has receded back to the mid 20's (millions) - seems that more dumping will be on the way.

3 Scenarios to look for

1 - Prices steadily drop, week over week. Would indicate a very long bear market if BTC falls below 9k, ETH under 700 and BCH under 1,300.

2 - Prices drop this week and pick back up next week - BTC hovers slightly above 9k, ETH slight above 700 and BCH slightly above 1,300.

3 - Prices spike back mid-week and keep going past the 500bn market cap - BTC gets stuck at 9.2-9.3k for a couple days, ETH 720-730 and BCH 1,400-1,500.

24 hour volumes are incredibly important to note on all three scenarios. Let's all keep in mind that there has been no good news as of late. So whatever money is coming back into crypto is most likely money that left in January. The market as a whole requires newer investors with deeper pockets. For that to happen - there needs to be some measurable progress being displayed in the media.
Elseye

Activity: 378

ApolloX

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 09:18:48 PM

We saw a slight correction, the growth will continue I think.

strongwarrior238

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:32:49 PM

In the past few days, the price of bitcoin has been steadily decreasing and bitcoin decreases rapidly causing the market and investors to panic and fear. Fear of altcoin also reduced, the capitalization of the market is beginning to decline slightly and there are adjustments. I believe that the market is in crisis so you have to be very careful when dealing to trnahs losses can happen.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:48:46 PM

The market as a whole requires newer investors with deeper pockets. For that to happen - there needs to be some measurable progress being displayed in the media.

The thing is that nowadays deep pockets no longer enter the market through the regular channels, but purely focus on private (OTC) transactions where they aren't subject to incompetent exchanges and all their silly regulations. While most of the regular crypto traders don't bother to learn from past events, where they keep using current exchanges, professional and other large scale investors try to stay away from these exchanges as much as possible. The thing here is that OTC transactions and on-exchange transactions are completely different, and for that reason don't mirror each other in value and volumes. I think that it's safe to say that OTC volumes have surpassed the trading volumes of exchanges, but these exchanges still dictate the rates. It would be good to have it balance out somehow, but that's not something I see happen any time soon....
parthgajjar

Activity: 273
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:51:39 PM

market field in the past days has return back chu kỳ period when the bitcoin and the bitcoin is deprecated shrinking in the next days, so that that the that should be be that as the transaction that you should not be transaction. The field is interrupt variable and highly problems that do that to be able to be able to be enough, to go to usd and does not keep coin at this time.
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 06:30:58 PM

The market as a whole requires newer investors with deeper pockets. For that to happen - there needs to be some measurable progress being displayed in the media.

The thing is that nowadays deep pockets no longer enter the market through the regular channels, but purely focus on private (OTC) transactions where they aren't subject to incompetent exchanges and all their silly regulations. While most of the regular crypto traders don't bother to learn from past events, where they keep using current exchanges, professional and other large scale investors try to stay away from these exchanges as much as possible. The thing here is that OTC transactions and on-exchange transactions are completely different, and for that reason don't mirror each other in value and volumes. I think that it's safe to say that OTC volumes have surpassed the trading volumes of exchanges, but these exchanges still dictate the rates. It would be good to have it balance out somehow, but that's not something I see happen any time soon....

That is true.

Is there any way to track OTC transactions?

People are spreading rumors that BCH is hard forking on the 15th of May - I was under the impression it was a soft fork by majority agreement and that there wasn't going to be a completely separate token as a result of the fork??

Can anyone else verify this? Searched for a while and found a couple weak authority confirmations.

https://cryptocurrencyfacts.com/2018/04/23/bitcoin-cash-fork-bitcoin-abc-coming-may-15/

Maestro75

Activity: 1918
Merit: 329

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 07:20:36 PM

What all that recent developments show for me is that this emerging crypto market has come to stay. Despite all that negative news and events yet the market still bounces back. And bitcoin has continued to maintain dominance as the crypto pathfinder that it is. I am not in anyway scared.
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:06:41 PM

What all that recent developments show for me is that this emerging crypto market has come to stay. Despite all that negative news and events yet the market still bounces back. And bitcoin has continued to maintain dominance as the crypto pathfinder that it is. I am not in anyway scared.

Valid point.

I made this thread to try and crowd source market movements and possible explanations behind them.  Similar to historical book keeping but for crypto as a whole.

The hope is to investigate market news after price reactions.
nelson4lov

Activity: 2058
Merit: 791

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:29:35 PM

The negativity from the media only csuses temporarily drop in prices, nothing more. There would come a time when all these wouldn't matter so much as people are already getting used to it. But If there's one thing I'm sure of, It's the fact that the market will always bounce back regardless of whatever is thrown at it. The prices should be up any moment from now.

█████████████████████████
████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
█████████████████████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
Pumperdumper (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 10:05:36 PM

Some are commenting that the recent price hike was due to the conferences being held in various places and upcoming conferences.

"In addition, Lee pointed out that the 2018 conference (marking the fourth year of the event), scheduled to kick off in New York City on May 14, is expected to pull in a crowd of roughly 7,000 (as compared to last year’s 2750-strong crowd) – previously, when attendance increased, Bitcoin jumped by 69% during the conference, and 138% in the months following the event."

https://cryptovest.com/news/fundstrat-analyst-foresees-impending-rally-for-bitcoin-owing-to-consensus-conference/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: