Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:58:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy offline transactions with standard client  (Read 4182 times)
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:21:03 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2011, 04:40:51 PM by jackjack

It was something I wanted for me and I believe it can be useful for others
I just tested it and it works as expected

Here's the situation:
  • Computer A, with:
    • wallet located at /home/a/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
    • pywallet downloaded somewhere and running using './pywallet.py --web'

• Computer B, with:
    • wallet located at c:\bitcoin\b\wallet.dat
    • pywallet downloaded somewhere and running using './pywallet.py --web'

A is offline and makes a transaction, B will broadcast it

Instructions:

Short method, exporting all tx's:
Backup your wallets
Close all Bitcoin instances

Everything has to be done on A until I said it's on B
  • Send your transaction
  • Go to http://localhost:8989
    Under the Dump transactions section:
    Type '/home/a/.bitcoin' and 'wallet.dat' in wallet directory and wallet filename
    Type the full path of the output file, e.g. on a USB drive
    Then click on the Dump button

From now, everything is made on B
    Under 'Import a transaction into your wallet' section:
    Write 'c:\bitcoin\b' and 'wallet.dat' in wallet directory and wallet filename
    Type 'file' in Txk
    And the path of the output file in Txv
    Click the Import button
  • This should return: (if not, let me know)
    txk: file
    x transactions imported in c:\bitcoin\b\wallet.dat

Long method, exporting only one tx:
Backup your wallets
Close all Bitcoin instances

Everything has to be done on A until I said it's on B
  • Send your transaction: if you use bitcoind, you already have your txid, if you use GUI, remember the amount you sent
    Under the Dump section, enter '/home/a/.bitcoin' and 'wallet.dat' in wallet directory and wallet filename
    Then click on the Dump button
  • Using Ctrl-F, find either your txid or your amount (beware, there may be more than one transaction with that amount)
           {
                "tx_id": "ae788fb76a935c5f3127bf5c7d860be4f90bae89782235ab55baf559a917404e",
                "tx_k": "0274784e4017a959f5ba55ab35227889ae0bf9e40b867d5cbf27315f5c936ab78f78ae",
                "tx_v": "0100000001d9f102cc434df41ef7[...]370656e74000001000000aa3a3f4e0100",
                "txin": [
                    {
                    }
                ],
                "txout": [
                    {
                    },
                    {
                        "scriptPubKey": "76a91425e8b5ed100729c5027a49643219e30a67356a3e88ac",
                        "value": 10.0
                    }
                ]
            },
  • Copy tx_k and tx_v values on a USB drive

From now, everything is made on B
  • Open the file with tx_k and tx_v
    Under 'Import a transaction into your wallet' section:
    Write 'c:\bitcoin\b' and 'wallet.dat' in wallet directory and wallet filename
    Paste tx_k in Txk
    And tx_v in Txv
    Click the Import button
  • This should return: (if not, let me know)
    txk: tx_k
    1 transaction imported in c:\bitcoin\b\wallet.dat

Now, run bitcoin on B and it will broadcast the transaction made by A

Feel free to post comments/suggestions/etc

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:33:22 AM

I'm not sure I'd call this EASY, but it certainly is workable. Not to mention it makes a starting point for actually making it easy.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
dogisland

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:34:18 AM

This is great.

The tx_k and tx_v values, does anyone know how they are generated ?

I guess they are signed with the private key.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 04:42:48 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2011, 04:58:25 PM by jackjack

This is great.

The tx_k and tx_v values, does anyone know how they are generated ?

I guess they are signed with the private key.
They are the data that the client wrote inside the wallet, so yes it must be signed

I'm not sure I'd call this EASY, but it certainly is workable. Not to mention it makes a starting point for actually making it easy.
Updated, one can now export tx's to a file and import the file, see 'short method'
I can't make it easier

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jimbo77

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 04:59:04 PM

Are wallet a and b completely different? I mean can a wallet now be never online and still do transactions?
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:00:32 PM

Are wallet a and b completely different? I mean can a wallet now be never online and still do transactions?
Yes absolutely

But the offline wallet still needs to have a blockchain where it sees it can spends the amount of the tx
This doesn't need to be online, transfering the blk* files with a USB drive is enough

brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 01:50:33 PM

Is it possible to write something with the following functionality?

Take as input:
  1) a private key (e.g. from a paper wallet, generated with vanity gen or similiar, which has received coins but has never been in a wallet)
  1a) the balance of the private key address (enter as parameter or query this from blockexplorer)
  2) a transaction amount
  3) a destination address
  4) a change address (e.g. new, unused paper wallet or vanity generated address, never stored in a wallet)

Write the transaction to send  the "transaction amount" from the "private key" to the "destination address" and send change to the "change address".

Broadcast this transaction (or input into new wallet and run bitcoin(d) to broadcast).

This would allow a secure transaction with only one computer that can be online, with secure addresses kept offline.

I'm not aware of how feasible this is to program. As I understand it, you method requires the bitcoin instance on Computer A to write the transaction data.

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 03:44:30 PM

Is it possible to write something with the following functionality?

Take as input:
  1) a private key (e.g. from a paper wallet, generated with vanity gen or similiar, which has received coins but has never been in a wallet)
  1a) the balance of the private key address (enter as parameter or query this from blockexplorer)
  2) a transaction amount
  3) a destination address
  4) a change address (e.g. new, unused paper wallet or vanity generated address, never stored in a wallet)

Write the transaction to send  the "transaction amount" from the "private key" to the "destination address" and send change to the "change address".

Broadcast this transaction (or input into new wallet and run bitcoin(d) to broadcast).

This would allow a secure transaction with only one computer that can be online, with secure addresses kept offline.

I'm not aware of how feasible this is to program. As I understand it, you method requires the bitcoin instance on Computer A to write the transaction data.
I would love to
After testing signing/verifying messages feature I just implemented, that will be my next task. Should take a lot of time though

riush

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 04:20:54 PM

Just for the record, there is also a transaction export/import patch for bitcoin (GUI and CLI).
You have to compile bitcoind yourself, but after that, it is much easier to use IMHO.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28278.0

1MKKiJhUJgqKyfCLeo7bB1bvELNEM8wUbz
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 04:36:10 PM

Just for the record, there is also a transaction export/import patch for bitcoin (GUI and CLI).
You have to compile bitcoind yourself, but after that, it is much easier to use IMHO.

Yes, and this is this patch that made me think about implementing it
The only problem I see is that it requires to build bitcoin and it's dependencies
When I tested to build bitcoin it was really a pain (Ubuntu), so I think building it without internet connection must be even more boring

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 08:01:26 PM

The only problem I see is that it requires to build bitcoin and it's dependencies
When I tested to build bitcoin it was really a pain (Ubuntu), so I think building it without internet connection must be even more boring

Why not put it into the official distribution?  I think all you need to operate a completely offline wallet and make it easy would be an ability to export/import the latest blocks and to export/import transactions (on import, the client would just behave exactly as it would if it had received the transaction from the network).  For the blocks, if the export could just export the blocks downloaded since the last export, it would probably make it quicker to keep the offline wallet's blocks updated.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:14:24 AM

Why not put it into the official distribution?  I think all you need to operate a completely offline wallet and make it easy would be an ability to export/import the latest blocks and to export/import transactions (on import, the client would just behave exactly as it would if it had received the transaction from the network).  For the blocks, if the export could just export the blocks downloaded since the last export, it would probably make it quicker to keep the offline wallet's blocks updated.
As blk00001 is just the entire blockchain concatenated I don't think it is simple to export/import blocks. It would be nice if someone does such a tool though, because it's really a good idea. Personally I'm too busy with pywallet
To import/export transactions, pywallet works fine, or maybe I didn't understand correctly what you was meaning

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 11:40:18 PM

I could imagine an offline computer generating transactions which could be displayed by QR code, printed, or exported to USB, and then injected into any old online client.

rant/ I've often been puzzled that bitcoin doesn't take the unix approach with many little utilities that do one thing and one thing well. I was hoping the node.js client would take that route. Why does the client need to confirm that it actually has the bitcoins before sending them? I realize false sends would 'spam' the network, but malicious users can and might do that anyway. /rant

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 02:00:38 AM

This would be extraordinarily useful for high-value accounts, ones which store millions+ of USD worth of crypto-tokens. Something like that is simply too valuable to secure on any system connected to the internet.

My group is working on this for our own altchain client. In our application, the “master keys” to a bank or exchange's primary account will be printed off as QR codes, and stored in safety deposit boxes. Transactions to/from this account would use MULTISIG with 2-of-3 signatures required, and we'll have an offline machine in a secure location (safe requiring multiple keys to access) with attached scanner and printer. To do a transaction out, you need at least all the keys to the safe and two QR codes. The machine performs an offline transaction (using the scanner to input the keys), then prints that transaction as a QR code. Anyone can then take that QR code and use it on a machine connected to the internet to broadcast the transaction.

The master keys to the organization's accounts are never stored or processed on a computer connected to the internet, multiple people are required to be present making it harder for an insider job, and existing/familiar organizational security measures can be employed.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:55:06 AM

Does this also work through the command line or is it only available at the webpage? This process can be automated which could be useful, for example, to allow one computer at a DMZ to send bitcoin transactions signed by another computer located inside a secure LAN. If the DMZ computer is compromised the private keys are still secure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: