Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:59:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC Miner  (Read 2988 times)
repairguy (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:38:28 AM

I am suspicions about KnC. They have a good product with a good design and the units are fairly efficient compared to what else is out there. They really have the top of the market.  Why on earth are they abandoning it for a new preorder product?? I also see they have discontinued use of paypal.  It makes no sense to me.  A KnC Jupiter is going for $20k.  They have everything already, just make some more!! Why do all the mfg feel they need to screw everyone around with preorder crap!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:40:53 AM

because some people, not my case, can afford to loose 10-20k ... or more  Smiley
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:55:49 AM

Hardware is hard to get it seems.

Many have their reasons to pay these prices.

I myself have 2 on order.
repairguy (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:57:38 AM

Maybe it is just me, but I think it is stupid.  I agree that they need to keep innovating to keep up with the pace, but you don't see Samsung stop selling the galaxy 3 so they can work on the design for the galaxy 4.
asicminer is the only company that has a decent business plan. They make blades just as fast as humanly possible, and sell the shit out of them, and they are old and inefficient 130nm.

Then KNC has a preorder for a new 20nm design.  They could gain the capital for r&d just by selling the product they already made!!!  The only reason it would make sense to me to do this is if they question the outcome of the 20nm product.  If you are confident in your product, invest your own money for a greater profit on success.
repairguy (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 12:04:37 PM

I am not arguing the prices.  They are a little high, but btc is high.  KNC could sell as many as they wanted of the Jupiters for 13k each.

550gh in hand for 13k or 3th preorder for 13k,
the unit in hand will win every time.

asic blades are going for 600each that would be 33k for 550gh worth of blades.
Sitarow
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 12:07:18 PM

I am not arguing the prices.  They are a little high, but btc is high.  KNC could sell as many as they wanted of the Jupiters for 13k each.

550gh in hand for 13k or 3th preorder for 13k,
the unit in hand will win every time.

asic blades are going for 600each that would be 33k for 550gh worth of blades.

Your reasoning is sound. Yet consider that they wish to use the skilled and now experienced human resources to work on the next gen hardware.
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 12:08:49 PM

I would guess, and this is only a guess, that there is a significant manual portion to the manufacturing, and they have a resource limitation somewhere...  either in manpower, or space, or a specific component, or trust with bringing other people into the operation.  I agree that it's a missed opportunity when a company stops selling to R&D their next units.  It also seems to be the norm, which is a little baffling.  The "limited manpower" angle is the direction I'm leaning.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 12:26:56 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2013, 03:34:38 PM by Biffa

Because its evolve or die, if KnC don't move to 20nm and more powerful rigs then they will be left in the dust.

Basic business sense.

Apparently ASICminer V1 and V2 blades are EOL and will no longer be made, the last batches are being done now the next ones will be v3 on a new tech. The only way to get new V2 tech at the moment is if you buy a cube.

And you can't compare something like mobile phones where they make millions of the things, Samsung did stop making the Galaxy 3 once they launched the Galaxy 4. They just had so many G3's made and in the distribution channel that it "appears" like they kept on making it.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 02:55:46 PM

Because its evolve or die, if KnC don't move to 20nm and more powerful rigs then they will be left in the dust.

Basic business sense.

Apparently V1 and V2 blades are EOL and will no longer be made, the last batches are being done now the next ones will be v3 on a new tech. The only way to get new V2 tech at the moment is if you buy a cube.

And you can't compare something like mobile phones where they make millions of the things, Samsung did stop making the Galaxy 3 once they launched the Galaxy 4. They just had so many G3's made and in the distribution channel that it "appears" like they kept on making it.

KNC dosent produce blades
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:28:45 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2013, 03:41:49 PM by Gator-hex

If you are confident in your product, invest your own money for a greater profit on success.

They did hint this was the last retail product which probably means they make 14nm for themselves.

Basic business sense.

Agree, they have no competition on the 28nm node!

If your business was retail, you keep selling what sells, until your competition catches up, and takes your market share.

The only reason you don't is that this is redundant stock you no longer use! In other words they are mining on the 20nm node.

This one of the flaws with Bitcoin, it allows a small elite to own the printing press.

Biffa
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:33:06 PM

Basic business sense.

Apparently V1 and V2 blades are EOL and will no longer be made, the last batches are being done now the next ones will be v3 on a new tech. The only way to get new V2 tech at the moment is if you buy a cube.

KNC dosent produce blades

We were talking about ASICMiner blades, keep up  Tongue

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Biffa
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 03:48:44 PM

If you are confident in your product, invest your own money for a greater profit on success.

They did hint this was the last retail product which probably means they make 14nm for themselves.

Basic business sense.

Agree, they have no competition on the 28nm node!

If you have any business sense you keep selling what sells until your competition catches up and takes your market share.

The only reason you don't is that this is redundant stock you no longer use! I.E. you are mining on the 20nm node.

Perhaps they are concerned about how close their competition are to launch, and want to be ready to blow them away ASAP. Better to stop what you are doing now and focus your energy on the next evolution.

I don't know, I don't work for them, however they aren't Samsung or someone that has enormous amounts of production capacity, heck they don't have the buying power or manufacturing power to make the components they need by themselves. They actually  bought the entire worlds supply of the VRM modules for Batch1 and had to switch (luckily to something more efficient) for Batch2.

I'm not saying that its not impossible for them to keep on selling Jupiter level hardware and continuing to make money, anything is possible if there is a will. Its not even that they don't have the manpower or resources to both sell, build and ship more of the 28nm designs, although tbh their ordering and back end systems and resources are at breaking point as it is from what I have seen/experienced etc.

I think its deeper than that, I think that there are multiple factors, some of which might be listed above, I think its a bit of a balancing act. I think its also about making a 3TH feel affordable while difficulty levels aren't stratospheric. Theres probably even a little bit of techy geekness in there about being the first to 20nm, about creating something better than and before the competition does. It may even be possible that they want to control the hash rate of the network to a certain degree, again making it more attractive for future buyers to be offered something that stands half a chance of making money.

But to be fair I don't think the OP gives a monkeys about KnCs business practice, all they want is a 600Gh/s miner because they missed out and are kicking themselves because of it. Cheesy

MZD

Activity: 189

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 04:00:41 PM

I don't see how anyone could break even with a Neptune shipped in Q2....
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 04:01:43 PM

i assume you are using the genesis block calculator.....lol
Wesly

Activity: 185

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 04:24:41 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2013, 06:01:12 PM by MiningBuddy

I am suspicions about KnC. They have a good product with a good design and the units are fairly efficient compared to what else is out there. They really have the top of the market.  Why on earth are they abandoning it for a new preorder product?? I also see they have discontinued use of paypal.  It makes no sense to me.  A KnC Jupiter is going for $20k.  They have everything already, just make some more!! Why do all the mfg feel they need to screw everyone around with preorder crap!

The answer is pretty simple, KnC is simply keeping their promise made in July by their Network Protection Statement of not shipping any device in December 2013, January 2014 and February 2014 to give their customers a positive return on their KnC miners so they will buy from them again.  That might change if their main competitors (HashFast and CoinTerra) finally started shipping in large quantity in January/February.  But for now their existing customers will enjoy a nice return while new customer can always skip this generation and pre-order the Neptune.  You can always cancel your order if KnC is late.  Use my reseller link below when you order to receive an additional free 240Gh hashing.  See my Q&A tag link if you have any question.

Sitarow
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:35:36 PM

I suppose it depends on the amount of BTC you could of had if you just buy and hold.

Here is a screen shot of a document that I have

Notice that IF... the network difficulty rises at 20% ever 12 days. Then the Neptune gives out BTC a day close to that of a Jupiter today.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeuPljmUNHCdEpqX2RmMDFwemJyLURVUWFtZ3J3aGc&usp=sharing

Edit:

Seems they are selling.

ASIC-K

Hell?

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:38:45 PM

I suppose it depends on the amount of BTC you could of had if you just buy and hold.

Here is a screen shot of a document that I have

Notice that IF... the network difficulty rises at 20% ever 12 days. Then the Neptune gives out BTC a day close to that of a Jupiter today.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeuPljmUNHCdEpqX2RmMDFwemJyLURVUWFtZ3J3aGc&usp=sharing

Edit:

Seems they are selling.

that number doesnt mean much....they reset that thing all the time.....
Sitarow
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:41:34 PM

True, however it does show that they are being ordered and paid for.
ASIC-K

Hell?

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:44:12 PM

ordered = yes....paid for = no
Sitarow
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:45:59 PM

ordered = yes....paid for = no

Not sure. I and other purchasers who had placed an order had noticed that the 1500 never budged even after paying with btc.

It only went down once the the order status moved to paid.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: