Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:03:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: So is the forum owner ever...  (Read 2723 times)
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:26:53 PM

So we can police ourselves, thats good, lets see if I can keep this kind clean without getting it locked and me banned.

So are the powers that be here ever gonna get off their collective asses and upgrade the site to the current / less breachy SMF 2.0.6 to stop this man in the middle sniff your password forget about avatars bullshit ?

To be decided...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:29:57 PM

So we can police ourselves, thats good, lets see if I can keep this kind clean without getting it locked and me banned.

So are the powers that be here ever gonna get off their collective asses and upgrade the site to the current / less breachy SMF 2.0.6 to stop this man in the middle sniff your password forget about avatars bullshit ?

So are the users that be here ever gonna get off their collective asses and inform themselves how and why this happened and that this didn't have anything to do with the SMF Version bullshit?

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:30:35 PM

So are the users that be here ever gonna get off their collective asses and inform themselves how and why this happened and that this didn't have anything to do with the SMF Version bullshit?
Nope.

Edit: That aside, I will say and stand by this, alot of the problems this site has had in the past are easily fixed with an upgrade so even if this last issue doesnt pertain to a breachy SMF version, upgrading would still be reccomended hence me standing by my original post.

To be decided...
inkadnb

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:32:27 PM

MIM was caused by the registrar not forums. Quit being such a pompous presumptuous ignorant prick.

Thanks.

MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:33:52 PM

MIM was caused by the registrar not forums. Quit being such a pompous presumptuous ignorant prick.

Thanks.
A pompous presumptuous ignorant prick that has a valid point re my edit in my last reply.

To be decided...
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:37:56 PM

theymos doesn't want to upgrade the forum because he has a bunch of customizations that will need to be ported.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:42:21 PM

theymos doesn't want to upgrade the forum because he has a bunch of customizations that will need to be ported.
Ok, and usually I would understand and sympathise with that as I run several high traffic sites of my own... and ok, maybe I did jump the gun on this last issue over frustration but even with say 50 mods, this is still something that should have been planned. Even if all theymos did was plan for a mod a month and then upgrade. To say one hasnt uprgaded their site because they have a bunch of mods that would need to be ported when upgrading said site would most defininately fix a bunch of security holes is a sad excuse to use. Some if not all of you would disagree with this but thats like me saying I wont feed my kid today because the one food he likes went up a buck.

Edit: For jumping the gun on the last bit of downtime and because I suspect theymos does get it a lot I do apologize but I really do feel that upgrading this site would fix alot of his headaches.

To be decided...
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 06:58:20 PM

It is also possible that the newer forum version has some yet unknown vulnerabilities, being new doesn't guarantee it to be secure.

A new forum is in the works so it's not like theymos doesn't do anything to improve the security and the usability of the forum.

(no idea about the ETA though)

Signature space available for rent.
inkadnb

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:01:42 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2013, 07:12:00 PM by inkadnb

Unfortunately you're still wrong.

Upgrading the forum software doesn't automagically fix security holes. In fact, in a lot of cases more features = more holes.

Last hack before this was a PHP flaw if anything.

Do you assume the STAFF that also contributes in developing a cryptographic currency doesn't know anything about security?

It's not as cut an dry as you think. Let the staff handle it.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:25:16 PM

Last hack before this was a PHP flaw if anything.
that hack was based on a flaw planted on the hack before.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Zae

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 07:36:09 PM

The forum version doesn't say anything, just that it's base is SMF 1.1.19
I also believe there are custom fixes applied.

But perhaps use a security & CDN like incapsula
simplulo

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 04:27:49 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 02:04:35 PM by simplulo

There is already lots of discussion about the next-generation forum, some based on Theymos' RFC:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45372.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=267281.0
and some proposing competing alternatives:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244678.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246936.0

Theymos has a serious pile of coin donated for this purpose.
The complications are 1) numerous (documented?) customizations done to SMF 1.x, and 2) a long list of requirements for the new forum.
I haven't read far enough yet to know whether the requirements have been bounced off other people and prioritized.
The obvious lowest-risk approach would be SMF 2.x, for all the usual reasons.
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 05:15:41 PM

Not only that but the last week the site is occasionally going down and I can't access it.  You'd think the techno-smart people would be on top of this, here of all places.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:58:13 PM

Upgrading this forum to a relatively newer version of SMF with less breaches and weaknesses (and possibly less than 1 hack every two months) shouldn't take that much money (as the forum has thousands of btc's). there might be a downtime but if it's possible to transfer data gradually it might even lower it.   and we could have our avatars back!  Tongue
simplulo

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 01:38:51 PM

It seems that someone has made a bitcoin forum using SMF 2.x:
https://www.bitcoinforum.com
Dunno the story behind it.
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:39:11 PM

It seems that someone has made a bitcoin forum using SMF 2.x:
https://www.bitcoinforum.com
Dunno the story behind it.

You can't view anything without signing up.  Roll Eyes

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
simplulo

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 11:23:50 AM

You can't view anything without signing up.  Roll Eyes
What does that mean? At BitcoinForum.com you can read everything without registering.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 01:38:15 AM

The rumor I heard was that Theymos has contracted a company to build a new forum from scratch.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:58:55 AM

The rumor I heard was that Theymos has contracted a company to build a new forum from scratch.
I hope so because hes amassed one hell of a BTC amoun from "donations" to et something done that if I recall right was supposed to be done well over a year ago. Either way I'm done harping on the subject because if it gets done great, if not then we see what theymos is really like.

So ya, time will tell whether he is going to use these "donations" for what they're supposed to be used for or hold on to them til the dy this orum goes down for good due to a "mysterious and vicious" attack.

To be decided...
U1TRA_L0RD

Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:07:57 AM

Who knows, Theymos is just suing the site to get BTC? Theres a lot of sketchiness going around these forums, But there will come a time when Theymos might want to sell the site.
cheeseburger123

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:14:36 AM

so many rumors,wait,wait,wait,time will give us an answer.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: