Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:52:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My buddy is getting a divorce. Can the court seize half of his bitcoins?  (Read 14294 times)
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:26:14 PM

I really can't believe people are STILL taking this seriously and even asking more information from the op..

Did you at lest check who this gabriella is and what kind of posts "she" makes?

Total Posts:   87 posts
Total Topics Started:   75 topics

Really ,

i will be 16 in 3 months’s time! ^_^

and now the story about her college mate

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:58:42 PM

What state jurisdiction is it?

It will be all about saying the truth or not and proving that he bought/still have the bitcoins

If he doesn't want to do that there are probably ways he could establish plausible deniability with regards to holding those Bitcoins, but having a friend post the details of his situation on a public forum wouldn't be a good way to start.

OP might want to change a few details in the story so it is harder to relate the story to the reality

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:00:34 AM

'I swear your honor...I lost my private key!'

I agree with the gentleman that stated earlier it largely has to do with how much of a paper trail he generated.  If we are talking large ticket items, cars, houses, boats, etc. more than likely he'll get hammered.  (or at least they will try)

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:51:48 PM

I think a divorce proceeding and court have the authority to factor in all assets when coming up with a reasonable distribution of assets.  I think that includes the BTC wallet.  Sure, the guy could try to hide the BTC but if he gets found out he's in big trouble, and I think even criminally.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 03:15:00 PM

Guys this is old.

December 03, 2013, 08:30:41 AM

OP was trolling.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 03:19:05 PM

how would the courts find out about the true number of them ? if any at  all........

boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 05:38:04 PM

Guys this is old.

December 03, 2013, 08:30:41 AM

OP was trolling.

Oh I usually check the date, good point superresistant!

It is a real problem and a real question : you are suppose to tell all your assets during a divorce

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:53:32 PM

No problem, your ex-wife's attorney will also take a check.  Grin

These guys who get mad about being fleeced in a divorce seem to be forgetting that they signed a contract. If you agree to a shitty contract then you are to blame, not the counter-party.   

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 07:55:32 PM

No problem, your ex-wife's attorney will also take a check.  Grin

These guys who get mad about being fleeced in a divorce seem to be forgetting that they signed a contract. If you agree to a shitty contract then you are to blame, not the counter-party.   

It's not surprising guys are reluctant to get married when you see that it seems like a bad economical deal for them

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:21:45 AM

I agree with the gentleman that stated earlier it largely has to do with how much of a paper trail he generated.  If we are talking large ticket items, cars, houses, boats, etc. more than likely he'll get hammered.  (or at least they will try)

This could be considered to be hiding assets and he could be held in contempt of court if he did not give his exwife 1/2 of what the court thought were his assets.

Although it is impossible to "force" someone to send a transaction, the loss of one's freedom is likely going to compel them to comply (or the threat thereof).
Ashbite

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:26:15 AM

Bitcoin is non-seizable right?
And what if he says that he lost it all on a gamble site out of misery?

You can make up tons of things to not let her have the money tbh.
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 05:23:49 PM

If the judge thinks he lies he will be in trouble and he will need to pay, you cannot always get away by lying

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:47:34 PM

You could say the same thing about cash.

A judge would probably want proof.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:10:57 PM

If the judge thinks he lies he will be in trouble and he will need to pay, you cannot always get away by lying

If the judge thinks you are lying then you will be in more trouble then just having lost your money, you would potentially be going to jail.
rapeghost

Activity: 419

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:30:08 PM

my college roommate is now a successful executive. 3 months ago he found out his wife was fxxking a black guy behind his back and his 5-year-old daughter.

since then he has kept quiet and converted as much asset as possible to about 850 bitcoins.

he just sprung the divorce on his ex-wife and now her lawyer is arguing he must have much more money than he claims to be.

the judge ordered he must turn over all his assets to give one half to his ex-wife.

does the court have right of access to his bitcoin wallet?

Cause the race of the guy she was fscking matters, right?
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 05:39:42 PM

They follow the money and see what he did with it.  If he'd mixed it at SR for example, that would be good because it could've been lost. They say he dissipated the assets.  They say, you are in contempt until you come up with $X.

In short: She whores around.  She gets to get f&$@ed by some other guy,, he gets to get f$&@ed all over again by her in court.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

What if he just said "I developed a gaming addiction and lost it all on a cryptocurrency gambling website"

Which in reality is completely possible and unproveable in the courts eyes seeing as none of the crypto gambling sites are registered with a government authority. Does this mean any married man who loses significant portion of his assets could go to jail for life for not being able to prove the means of which he lost it? Would be surprised if this was the case TBH.

boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 11:00:01 AM

They follow the money and see what he did with it.  If he'd mixed it at SR for example, that would be good because it could've been lost. They say he dissipated the assets.  They say, you are in contempt until you come up with $X.

In short: She whores around.  She gets to get f&$@ed by some other guy,, he gets to get f$&@ed all over again by her in court.

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

What if he just said "I developed a gaming addiction and lost it all on a cryptocurrency gambling website"

Which in reality is completely possible and unproveable in the courts eyes seeing as none of the crypto gambling sites are registered with a government authority. Does this mean any married man who loses significant portion of his assets could go to jail for life for not being able to prove the means of which he lost it? Would be surprised if this was the case TBH.

If you cannot prove it and the judge is doubtful it will not stand in court

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:50:11 AM

Well , I don't know how that goes but if he denies in court that he has any other bitcoins(valuables) in his possession and after he is released he gets caught using them , well , isn't he going back to court for another round?

Not if he gets asylum in North Korea or Russia (or more realistically in Venezuela or Cuba).

Asylum? Just go to the Philippines and disappear in Manila. Manila is HUGE and packed full of people. I have never been stopped or questioned by a cop in all the years that I have visited. Most people speak some english and their language, tagalog, is easy to learn. Girls are easy to meet, if you are shy, go online and use cherry blossoms or dateinasia.

In the Philippines the bitch won't receive even 1 satoshi.

If you caught your wife or husband on the act of having intercourse you can kill them both without jail time.

Article 247 states the following: "Any legally married person who, having surprised his spouse in the act of committing sexual intercourse with another person, shall kill any of them or both of them in the act of or immediately thereafter, or shall inflict upon them any serious physical injury, shall suffer the penalty of destierro. If he shall inflict upon them physical injuries of any other kind, he shall be exempt from punishment. These rules shall be applicable, under the same circumstances, to parents with respect to their daughters under 18 years of age, and their seducer, while the daughters are living with their parents."

The killer is merely penalized with destierro or prohibited from entering a place designated by the court.

If you do not caught her on the act you can sue her with adultery.

Adultery committed by a man fall under the Phil. laws that governed the Laws of Chastity. Hence only an unfaithful woman is charged with adultery, and if the man involved was aware she was married, then he too is punished.

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:40:20 PM

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

The rules of evidence are very strange in divorce court.

The person with the economic disadvantage almost always has an advantage in court
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 10:37:17 PM

in all seriousness -

how could they?

i like his plan.

The rules of evidence are very strange in divorce court.

The person with the economic disadvantage almost always has an advantage in court

Of course and it is why you need a pre-nup or to be the one with the economic disadvantage

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: