Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:19:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: *** Pledge to spend 10 Bitcoins ***  (Read 2996 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 10:58:42 AM

The pledge:
"I will spend at least 10 Bitcoins per month but only if 1,000 other people will do the same."

http://www.pledgebank.com/bitcoin1000

Currently Bitcoins are not being used much for what they were originally intended for, which is as a currency to exchange goods and services.

It is time to change that with early Bitcoin pioneers willing to consistently spend at least 10 Bitcoins every month on whatever they like. This base spending level of 10,000 Bitcoins per month will ensure merchants that there is a market out there for their Bitcoin products and will spur further activity and growth in the Bitcoin market.

Sign the pledge and please let us know here that you have signed up.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:14:57 AM

until the price of bitcoin stays with in 10% per month, it wont be a viable currency.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 11:38:16 AM

until the price of bitcoin stays with in 10% per month, it wont be a viable currency.

Which will be helped by having 1000 people who consistently use it pushing the value based on their perception of what they are used to getting for their Bitcoins.

Letting the market control the price as opposed to the exchanges.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:38:52 AM

I like the idea of that pledge but I think you should change 2 things:
- specify a time frame (eg. for at least 1 year)
- account for big changes in price (eg. at least 10 BTC or 100 USD worth of BTC).

Otherwise it is difficult for anybody to fulfill the pledge.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 12:08:03 PM

I like the idea of that pledge but I think you should change 2 things:

- specify a time frame (eg. for at least 1 year)
I figured I would let people come up with their own routines. I once set myself up with a $100 per paycheck allowance of PayPal money. It was the setting up part that took the most effort. People will stick with it or not based on their own motivations.

- account for big changes in price (eg. at least 10 BTC or 100 USD worth of BTC).
If the price were to go up very high, then those who are in on the pledge would be in early and thus have some decent money to spend. Plus it might encourage people to get their 10 BTC for the month by selling things or offering a service.

Otherwise it is difficult for anybody to fulfill the pledge.
It is just a pledge. Nobody will go to jail if they waver from the exact wording of the pledge, just as long as they are supporting the original intent.

malbritten

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:18:55 PM

If I had 10 BTC a month I'd spend it.  I have no plans to "sit" on any BTC I get as my hardware has now been paid off. 

I can't make this pledge as I don't think I can actually mine 10 BTC a month, but I'll do my best.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:26:59 PM

+1

I live in Japan so it's difficult for me to spend BTC.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 02:37:02 PM

Imagine going out into the street with a big wad of cash saying "I sure do wish I could spend this on something"...

Believe me, if you want to spend it, people will give you something to spend it on.

amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:48:27 PM

The language barrier makes that difficult, but I'll see if I can find a way to spend BTCs here and will sign the pledge if I do.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 02:52:59 PM

+1

WOW! I didn't know that Japan doesn't have the internet.
malbritten

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:54:21 PM

The language barrier makes that difficult, but I'll see if I can find a way to spend BTCs here and will sign the pledge if I do.

You can always just give me the BTC and I can spend it.  It'll fulfill the pledge all the same Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

I'm waiting for the confirmation email. Once obtained, you'll see my pledge.

Until then, let me show you a picture of my pride and joy:

malbritten

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:10:34 PM

So, went ahead and signed the pledge because I'll do my best to spend 10btc whenever I have 10btc. Though, the part the confuses me is the "only if 1000 people do the same." Eff that. I'm going to do it anyways.  I'm not going to help the community only if everyone else is.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 03:15:16 PM

So, went ahead and signed the pledge because I'll do my best to spend 10btc whenever I have 10btc. Though, the part the confuses me is the "only if 1000 people do the same." Eff that. I'm going to do it anyways.  I'm not going to help the community only if everyone else is.

I agree.  I have already spent more then 10 btc in august.  

I will continue to spend.  

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 03:17:40 PM

I agree.

The 1000 people pledge gives incentive for other people to support it knowing that there will be other people supporting it and they will all have a magnified affect. Instead of just a few people "doing what they can".

BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:26:37 PM

We already do more then 10 a month so it's easy to pledge  Cool
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:41:05 PM

1000 people seems a bit much.  But I'll spend my 10 even without the pledge, especially if a local store here will accept them.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 05:57:36 PM

1000 people seems a bit much.  But I'll spend my 10 even without the pledge, especially if a local store here will accept them.

True, even 100 people would have a big impact compared to the amount of Bitcoin spending going on right now.

But I was figuring that I would be inundated by naysayers saying "10,000 Bitcoins is a drop in a bucket compared to 6 million Bitcoins in supply". 1 million Bitcoins being spent per month would be close to the currency of some small countries.

But if we can hit 1000 people. Then we could have a significant impact on spurring the growth of Bitcoin.

malbritten

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 06:02:30 PM

Ahem.

*points to sig*

Grin
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 06:22:11 PM

Good point on the "only if 1,000 people do the same" comment, otherwise you have something like what this JO did: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34016.msg434059#msg434059
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: