Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:20:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best thermal paste for GPU???  (Read 501 times)
sebas1382000 (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 11:50:06 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2018, 12:03:29 AM by sebas1382000

Hello, anybody know the best thermal paste? The one that chills more

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kalyst69

Activity: 147
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 12:09:15 AM

I'm using Arctic Cooling since many many years and pretty happy with their products

Host your ASICs in Siberia for $0.07/KW all inclusive. Contact me for information.
koody

Activity: 114
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 12:55:53 AM

Gelid GC-Extreme is good.
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 1059

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:28:35 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2018, 03:52:20 AM by arielbit

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra....they are liquid metal

they corrode aluminum though..and they are CONDUCTIVE so apply carefully, their application is not the same as thermal paste.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 03:03:35 AM

I replace my thermal paste regularly every 2month, I live in the tropical area plus almost half of my rig was R9 series. I'm using DeepCool z9 it cost me around $8, I'll need ten pcs each time replacing the thermal paste. The results are pretty good for me.
jimmy_007vn

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 03:07:15 AM

I replace my thermal paste regularly every 2month, I live in the tropical area plus almost half of my rig was R9 series. I'm using DeepCool z9 it cost me around $8, I'll need ten pcs each time replacing the thermal paste. The results are pretty good for me.

I have AMD Vega 56, but i couldn't unscrew the screws Sad All the crews now mess up since i forced to open with screw driver. Any solution for my case?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 03:16:33 AM

A word of warning.

If you got an old GPU like a Radeon 7950 or some other 5 year old GPU, then avoid doing any thermal paste changes.

Basically the factory paste is old and like glue and when you separate the heat sink from the chip, it will be hard to get off which will end up using force and you might break some of the solder balls which attach the GPU chip to the PCb board.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 03:39:12 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2018, 03:50:43 AM by arielbit

A word of warning.

If you got an old GPU like a Radeon 7950 or some other 5 year old GPU, then avoid doing any thermal paste changes.

Basically the factory paste is old and like glue and when you separate the heat sink from the chip, it will be hard to get off which will end up using force and you might break some of the solder balls which attach the GPU chip to the PCb board.

thermal paste will degrade and become inefficient, in my experience in the past..my 280x rig hangs, the problem was one of the the GPU needs thermal paste replacement it was Gelid GC Extreme, lasted for a year..when they dried up and become in efficient, they were like dry thin film of brittle grey stuff.  

haven't seen one like your're describing...i typically replace thermal paste for about a year or two...not five years (they don't last that long, performance wise) and these good thermal paste don't act like glue..

anyway always try to lift the heat spreader a bit on all side to loosen the "stickiness" and not on a single side only...
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 03:41:34 AM

I have AMD Vega 56, but i couldn't unscrew the screws Sad All the crews now mess up since i forced to open with screw driver. Any solution for my case?

You can try with giving some oil to the screw part, let stand a moment. You could use a bigger size of screwdriver. I have the same problem before, and I fix it with an electric screwdriver, it will spin hard and force the screw to rotate.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 10:12:17 AM

A word of warning.

thermal paste will degrade and become inefficient, in my experience in the past..my 280x rig hangs, the problem was one of the the GPU needs thermal paste replacement it was Gelid GC Extreme, lasted for a year..when they dried up and become in efficient, they were like dry thin film of brittle grey stuff.  

haven't seen one like your're describing...i typically replace thermal paste for about a year or two...not five years (they don't last that long, performance wise) and these good thermal paste don't act like glue..

anyway always try to lift the heat spreader a bit on all side to loosen the "stickiness" and not on a single side only...

What I found is that if the thermal paste is replaced, it usually only lasts a year or two.

If the factory one is left on, it lasts much longer.

The difference in temps were very little from an old 5 year paste to a new thermal paste.
Wasn't worth damaging the GPUs.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
jillscarbrough

Steady State Finance

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 11:06:24 AM

The difference in temps were very little from an old 5 year paste to a new thermal paste.
Wasn't worth damaging the GPUs.

Of course not, just a bit or much reducing GPU temps also depends on new thermal paste that used. When I use DeepCool Z5, it can reduce GPU heat around 3-5 degree. DeepCool Z9 was giving me more significant heat reducing, above 5 degrees comparing to old few years paste that has on it.

Reducing 5-degree of heat on GPU is worthed on mining process. Use spray cleaner for an electrical part to clean old thermal paste seem like more safe.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 05:00:53 PM

If the factory one is left on, it lasts much longer.

My findings are exactly the opposite. Factory paste always seems to under-perform for me, very consistently. It seems that either I have the worst luck or the manufacturers use extremely low-quality paste. I always end up replacing my thermal paste after, at most, a year of usage. That's pushing it though if I want optimal temperatures.

I've noticed that low-quality or old thermal paste alone is enough to really drive up temperatures. These are just my experiences, but since they differ from yours I wanted to throw them out there.

I never seem to care much about the company of the thermal paste, so long as it meets regular specifications and gets replaced regularly everything should run smooth. Regular maintenance and replacement of thermal paste is needed, it is not a "set-it-and-forget-it" kind of thing.
legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 05:37:30 PM

Hello, anybody know the best thermal paste? The one that chills more

It doesn't matter which paste you use. I've heard people using toothpaste ffs lol!
Just clean the paste and reapply regularly.
I stick to a local brand called Fluxon. I m pretty sure you won't find it where you stay though.

All this assuming you can disassemble the heatsink easily without causing any damage to any components.

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
EthanB

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 08:10:42 PM

It doesn't matter which paste you use. I've heard people using toothpaste ffs lol!

All this assuming you can disassemble the heatsink easily without causing any damage to any components.

Are you serious about the toothpaste? I'm asking for a, uhh, friend. I'm wondering if that would actually work or if it would cause internal damage of some kind.

The hardest part about reapplying the thermal paste always seems to be either reassembling/disassembling the heatsink or simply putting back on the case of the rig.
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:07:24 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2018, 12:40:30 AM by arielbit

Are you serious about the toothpaste? I'm asking for a, uhh, friend. I'm wondering if that would actually work or if it would cause internal damage of some kind.

The hardest part about reapplying the thermal paste always seems to be either reassembling/disassembling the heatsink or simply putting back on the case of the rig.

i've used toothpaste a few times  on cpu's when i ran out of thermal paste...now that i have a stock pile of thermal paste because i'm a miner, there is no need to use toothpaste..just saying it can be useful for emergency situations..

you guys should be looking at liquid metal..recently I delidded an i7 8700k, it reduced the temp to around 15c (prime 95 stress test)........my gpus with liquid metal are now exceeding my typical thermal paste replacement time compared to one of the best thermal paste out there that I used-gelid gc extreme.....it also has lower temps compared to typical thermal paste.
EthanB

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 04:15:18 AM

i've used toothpaste a few times  on cpu's when i ran out of thermal paste.

That is absolutely incredible. You learn something new everyday. Would it be better to leave relatively old thermal paste on or replace it temporarily with toothpaste? How extensive has your testing been with toothpaste, and do they share any similar components? Why does it work? I have a plethora of questions about this nonsense. Are we sure that it actually is doing the job of thermal paste and not that of a placebo?

you guys should be looking at liquid metal. it reduced the temp to around 15c (prime 95 stress test).

Can you clarify, do you mean it reduced your temps by about 15c or to about 15c? Cause 15c is absurdly low temperature, I don't even have that at idle. My room is hotter than that.
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 05:54:43 AM

That is absolutely incredible. You learn something new everyday. Would it be better to leave relatively old thermal paste on or replace it temporarily with toothpaste? How extensive has your testing been with toothpaste, and do they share any similar components? Why does it work? I have a plethora of questions about this nonsense. Are we sure that it actually is doing the job of thermal paste and not that of a placebo?

you guys should be looking at liquid metal. it reduced the temp to around 15c (prime 95 stress test).

Can you clarify, do you mean it reduced your temps by about 15c or to about 15c? Cause 15c is absurdly low temperature, I don't even have that at idle. My room is hotter than that.

I can't remember exactly but i think the toothpaste don't perform very long..like for a month or two you have to replace it...having that "paste" material in between, is somehow better for two surface (cpu and heatsink) than nothing, because if you don't put anything there the air gaps are worse than toothpaste..

15c is taken off like from 95c to 80c....remember liquid metal is CONDUCTIVE, brushing a thin layer is the best way of applying it, as far as i know..

what i'm trying to point out (benefit) in using good thermal paste specially liquid metal, aside from good temps...the replacement time, what if you just have to replace liquid metal every 3 years or more...also the effort and time lost, mining rig can stop/hang if just one card stops due to overheating core......sometimes even if the temps in your monitoring software is good, the card still hangs...happened in my 280x's a few times and thermal paste reapplication solved the issue.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:39:35 AM

I can't remember exactly but i think the toothpaste don't perform very long..like for a month or two you have to replace it...having that "paste" material in between, is somehow better for two surface (cpu and heatsink) than nothing, because if you don't put anything there the air gaps are worse than toothpaste..

15c is taken off like from 95c to 80c....remember liquid metal is CONDUCTIVE, brushing a thin layer is the best way of applying it, as far as i know..

what i'm trying to point out (benefit) in using good thermal paste specially liquid metal, aside from good temps...the replacement time, what if you just have to replace liquid metal every 3 years or more...also the effort and time lost, mining rig can stop/hang if just one card stops due to overheating core......sometimes even if the temps in your monitoring software is good, the card still hangs...happened in my 280x's a few times and thermal paste reapplication solved the issue.

I think we all read the same Toms hardware article about 10 years back.

I used tooth paste also on some KnCminer Jupiters which had very little or no thermal paste at all.

Basically since the ASIC chip was huge, it wasn't worth using Arctic silver so I just used tooth paste and it worked better than leaving nothing at all while I waited for a huge jar of thermal compound to come from China.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:06:16 AM

I used tooth paste also on some KnCminer Jupiters which had very little or no thermal paste at all.

Basically since the ASIC chip was huge, it wasn't worth using Arctic silver so I just used tooth paste and it worked better than leaving nothing at all while I waited for a huge jar of thermal compound to come from China.

yup i read it somewhere I can't remember..came in handy...feels minty and clean on fingers hehe
EthanB

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 05:53:37 PM

I can't remember exactly but i think the toothpaste don't perform very long..like for a month or two you have to replace it ... the air gaps are worse than toothpaste..

If it is the air gaps that are the concern, then wouldn't something like Vaseline or petroleum jelly do equally as good a job as toothpaste? Anything that has that kind of texture and conductivity properties should do the trick, right?

That's what I was thinking, maintaining 15c sounded like some next level stuff. Still 15c cooler is a big deal when it comes to constantly running. That changes the lifespan of your hardware significantly, for the better.

I must be out of the loop then. I wouldn't mind a link if you manage to come across that post again.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: