Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:18:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you keep your bitcoins?  (Read 6649 times)
nmteaco (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 02:14:00 AM

As one collects more bitcoins, where do you keep them? Currently all my bitcoins are at mybitcoin.com, but what happens if this site goes down? is it better to send all the bitcoins to your bitcoin client? then what happens if your computer crashes?

So, where does the "smart" guy keep his bitcoins? (what are the best practices for having hundreds, or thousands of bitcoins?)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 02:16:08 AM

Encrypted backups of wallet.dat are the best, in most people's opinions, and if you email them to yourself and keep a copy on a thumbdrive you should be good. Just remember to backup frequently.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 02:23:29 AM

I currently have all my bitcoins in the client, and my wallet.dat is continuously backed up via dropbox, which means it's copied to all my devices I run dropbox on, as well as accessible on their website.  Oh, and I'd have to lose two disks at once for me to lose any data on my main machine.

If you want to try out dropbox, use this link and we'll both get some extra space for free.
http://db.tt/zNEiy6C

Regardless, back up your wallet.dat somehow: usb drive, another computer, an online service, or some combination.  It's not necessary to do continuous backups like I do since your wallet has 100ish pre-generated keys, but after you go through your keys and have to generate a new chuck of them, you need to backup again.  Hopefully someone else can clue you in on how to tell when that happens.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
nmteaco (OP)

Activity: 54

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 02:27:15 AM

So both of you are suggesting using the client to store the coins (then backing up accordingly), not a web service?
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 02:29:53 AM

Yes - a web service is an okay middle man but long term, I'd rather have control of my coins than a website.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 02:31:53 AM

If you want any kind of assurance, it's best to hold yourself responsible rather than a fairly new internet entity.  I don't know anything about mybitcoin.com, it's probably fine, but by keeping them in the client and backing them up myself I know who to blame when something goes wrong.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 02:35:28 AM

I keep my coins (such as they are) in my client's wallet, with an encrypted backup on an external drive. If it comes to a point where I actually have significant assets in BTC, I'll also keep that wallet in my dropbox in an encrypted volume.

I follow the 3-2-1 rule of data backup:

3 copies,
2 local,
1 off-site (cloud).

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 03:12:41 AM

If it comes to a point where I actually have significant assets in BTC, I'll also keep that wallet in my dropbox in an encrypted volume.

Exactly.  Some people use dropbox to not just back up but to replicate to other systems, including laptops or mobiles.   Do you really want your unencrypted wallet.dat replicated like that?

Here's more
  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1679.msg29488#msg29488
  http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

schnak

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 03:44:43 AM

This is what I would be using

1.) Bitcoin client saves coin to wallet.dat on encrypted hard drive.  {1 copy}
2.) Script saves this file every few minutes to 2 truecrypt files (TC1 & TC2) the script is set to copy twice and hold the previous copy for redundancy. Truecrypt with full encryption options key files and passwords. Keyfiles are unique for each and stored in a keyfile library. {9 copies}
3.) TC1 is saved to a dropbox sync along with keyfile for TC2
4.) TC2 is saved to a jumpdrive stored in fire proof/resistant vault at home with keyfile for TC1

level 1 failure -
1- CPU lost/stolen, I have the data secure on dropbox and on the USB drive in my home vault.
2- dropbox lost/stolen - usb storage and CPU still working.
3- USB storage lost/stolen - dropbox and CPU still running.
4- keyfile library lost/stolen - backup keys restored from dropbox locations and usb drive.

I could go on listing how far down I would have to go before the data is non recoverable. but this should give you a basic setup for a SECURE way to store your BTC with >= US Federal levels of redundancy. If you wanted to backup to past versions you would just need to rename the files on dropbox and the usb storage with the date. then your exceeding US FED standards (they dont require internal encryption. I also used to work computers at a bank, what a pain)
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:28:25 AM

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Even if you are methodical about backing up your bitcoin wallet file, it might not hurt to have a few coins elsewhere (e.g. MyBitcoin). Spread the risk.

Also, consider using more than one bitcoin wallet on your computer. Otherwise, if you make a typo and accidentally send 1234 bitcoins instead of 0.1234 bitcoins, you've lost everything.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 11:33:39 AM

Also, consider using more than one bitcoin wallet on your computer. Otherwise, if you make a typo and accidentally send 1234 bitcoins instead of 0.1234 bitcoins, you've lost everything.

heh... this may be Gold's only advantage:

A fool and his gold are soon parted, But a fool and bitcoins can part accidentally.

on second thought... maybe that's advantage: bitcoin? Finally some effective evolutionary pressure for intelligence and attention to typing.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 12:20:39 AM
Merited by M-BTC (1)

Don't forget the risk of theft. Backups won't help if your coins get spent. Best to split off some of your coins to long term savings, transfer them to a separate wallet, securely back up that wallet, and securely delete it. Unfortunately this isn't easy with the current client.

Hal Finney
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 03:19:43 AM

Don't forget the risk of theft. Backups won't help if your coins get spent. Best to split off some of your coins to long term savings, transfer them to a separate wallet, securely back up that wallet, and securely delete it. Unfortunately this isn't easy with the current client.

This is why full hard drive encryption and off site encrypted backup is the best way to go.
MacRohard

Activity: 212

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 09:57:31 PM

This is why full hard drive encryption and off site encrypted backup is the best way to go.

Print them out and put them in a safe;

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3716.0

BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:08:21 PM

As far as I know, nobody has looked through my code yet, but I did just release this tool: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3735.0

Right now I have four wallets. Savings, checking, mining, and portable. Savings is self explanatory. I keep an address from the savings wallet in the outgoing address list of all of the other wallets. I very rarely open it, and just do transfers when necessary. Checking is my high turnover wallet, I don't keep a large balance but I spend from it often. The mining wallet is the one I use when solo mining, since it has to be open all the time. This way, as long as I transfer any generation revenue out, there's little chance of anything being stolen. Finally, I keep a wallet stored on a USB drive on my keychain, along with a portablized Bitcoin client.

Now that I think about it, I will probably ditch the dedicated portable wallet and just set my checking wallet to back up to my thumb drive.

As a bit of a pitch... all of this is made incredibly easy by WalletBuddy. Smiley
satamusic

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

yes.

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 12:53:08 AM

truecrypt volume backed up to private folder on wuala cloud + to friends computers with crashplan

hi
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 05:02:51 AM

dropbox + truecrypt = win

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
bitlock

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 03:59:06 AM

If someone knows whoo runs Truecrypt - they need a bitcoin dontation link on their site.

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 04:07:30 AM

As one collects more bitcoins, where do you keep them? Currently all my bitcoins are at mybitcoin.com, but what happens if this site goes down? is it better to send all the bitcoins to your bitcoin client? then what happens if your computer crashes?

So, where does the "smart" guy keep his bitcoins? (what are the best practices for having hundreds, or thousands of bitcoins?)

I would suggest Dropbox as others have. However, if you're looking for a website to store your coins on, our website bitcoin2cash.com uses encrypted backups to multiple cloud services. With any website though, you are putting your trust into them.
divergenta

Activity: 162

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 05:33:34 PM

If I wanted to secure  my wallet I just need to encrypt the wallet.dat file and save it somewhere safe, I mean, I don't need anything else in the .bitcoin directory, right? (I use Debian, but I guess that doesn't have anything to do with it)

If it's as simple as that I'm thinking about storing an encrypted version of the wallet.dat file on my Wuala account but also maybe have it somewhere safe IRL on a usb memory stick. Maybe hidden inside a really boring book or something like that.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: