Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:24:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying bitcoin is a pain.  (Read 4452 times)
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 12:12:12 AM

Why does it seem like all these BTC companies are doing sketchy stuff?  I read all these stories about taking funds, or not depositing funds into an account after the exchange had the money for like weeks.

Isn't it hardto buy in person too, like when does the person send it to you and you give them the money?

Coinbase is probably the best you can probably get, although they are not an exchange themselves.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
poelling92
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:27:50 AM

Why does it seem like all these BTC companies are doing sketchy stuff?  I read all these stories about taking funds, or not depositing funds into an account after the exchange had the money for like weeks.

Isn't it hardto buy in person too, like when does the person send it to you and you give them the money?

These Banks might making problems like freezing Bank account if they see suspicious activity.  Bank accounts are not perfect
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 12:29:53 AM

These Banks might making problems like freezing Bank account if they see suspicious activity.  Bank accounts are not perfect

But bitcoin is! Grin

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:12:44 AM

Head over to localbitcoins.
I promise you that you will surely not be disappointed.

That's not a promise that you can make.  The experience with localbitcoins vendors is likely to vary significantly between regions and vendors.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Tsoiss

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:32:54 AM

That's not a promise that you can make.  The experience with localbitcoins vendors is likely to vary significantly between regions and vendors.

You need to find a reliable trade with good feedback, or it will still be a pain. Tongue
I remember reading a post here a week ago, that how ridiculous the localbitcoins escrow and support services are.
Local576

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:51:20 AM

If I want to buy some bitcoin I have to get verified first and link a bank account. It is @#%^ing ridiculous.
If I ever buy bitcoin it will have to be in-person with someone who has them. Selling is the same deal.

Will we ever be able to buy and sell bitcoin easily?

I too found it difficult to but bitcoins.  Handing money over and then trusting them to transfer was worrying.  There are a lot of factors that play into it.
bmoconno

Activity: 280
Merit: 261

New In Town...

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:52:21 AM

Signing up for Coinbase is kinda of a pain, since they do require a lot of documentation and it takes about 5 days to initially attach it to your bank account then another 30 days to get to a point where it's all kinds of awesome.  Once you're all setup, you can buy up to 10 BTC instantly, like REALLY instantly, and it's fantastic.  When I was first starting out, and waiting for my Coinbase to confirm, I just used my friends account to buy BTC (deposited into his bank first, of course!), you might want to ask some of your close/IRL friends and see if any of them already have an account setup.

localbitcoins is a great alternative to this, if you don't want to wait that long or give out your personal information.  My experience with localbitcoins has been limited, but from my understanding, most/all exchanges are done using escrow (a middle man holds the funds until both parties have have confirmed the transaction) which can make the whole experience a lot safer.  Alternatively, you can use it to find people and meet up in person.  There is a few great write-ups about meeting in person, most of them caution you to use common sense… meet at a busy public location, stuff like that.

Lastly, there's always faucets for getting BTC.  They aren't fast, but they are free. Smiley

P.S.  DON'T GAMBLE WITH BITCOINS!  You'll regret it, I promise.

If I've helped you out, or you just think I'm awesome… 13SZex4uANVrfTeeuFEXGu6W8EVYtWVB53
Wilson23

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:09:44 AM

You need to find a reliable trade with good feedback, or it will still be a pain. Tongue
I remember reading a post here a week ago, that how ridiculous the localbitcoins escrow and support services are.

I was thinking about buying some bitcoin on localbitcoins, could anyone show me the link for that post?
Joopii

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:16:47 AM

Its not really that hard, if you know where to look for Wink
Anyways there is still a lot to improve, because it is not very noob friendly
Sam-Os

Activity: 87
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:13:49 PM

Well if you live in the US it does not seem hard at all but in other parts of the world forget about it.
cryptocap

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:29:04 PM

Anyone live in Florida, I'll be happy to meet up to sell you btc.
Mr. Panic $ell

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:32:34 PM

If I want to buy some bitcoin I have to get verified first and link a bank account. It is @#%^ing ridiculous.
If I ever buy bitcoin it will have to be in-person with someone who has them. Selling is the same deal.

Just posting, because I must.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 07:38:18 PM

I was thinking about buying some bitcoin on localbitcoins, could anyone show me the link for that post?

Here is their "official" thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86012.0

BTW, it is not very good but this site does have a SEARCH feature.  See the search box?

Also, there is a new web site called "Google" you can type in things like "localbitcoins" and they will find it for you.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BlumpkinFairy

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:10:08 PM

I'm Canadian and I wish there was a way for me to buy btc or mbtc without having to go to the bank. I sucks that I would have bought btc when they were cheap if it wasn't so complicated, for example I rmb going to coinbase about a year ago but they didn't sell to Canadians.

I found one site that sells btc via e-banking transfer but because those transactions can apparently be reversed you can only buy up to .04 btc at a time and there is a significant fee built into the price.

What's the best way to buy btc while paying the lowest fee?
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 10:25:46 PM

Several others have suggested LocalBitcoins.com and I would like to add my +1 to their suggestions.

I have made several BTC purchases from sellers via locabitcoins and each transaction has been completed in less than 2 minutes.

The slowest part was for me to type in my banking security details to my bank website to make the 'faster payment' transfer to the seller. The sellers always released the bitcoins to my localbitcoins account very quickly, within seconds. You can keep in contact with the seller as you proceed through the transaction via the chat window.

Each seller has an 'ebay' style feedback which is clearly visible along with the price that the BTC are being offered at.

For me, it couldn't be quicker or simpler to buy bitcoins using my bank account for funds at LocalBitcoins.com.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:33:16 PM

LocalBitcoins is easiest way to buy Bitcoins, but the price at Exchanges is lower. But Im not confortable with the Exchange verification
dracken

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:35:32 PM

You can buy and sell on the forums easily. People will take bank transfer. Just remember to use a trusted escrow.

Could you give us some addresses?
rajbandi

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:41:09 PM

Coinjar painful to deposit cash at branch. It takes 1 day to update balance and 1 more day to buy bitcoin. Email support 48 hrs. total 2 days, and rate goes up.
Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:38:15 AM

I understand your frustration, in many countries it is difficult to purchase Bitcoin, it just depends on where you live.
In Canada you can simply walk up to an ATM and buy some Bitcoin with cash.  In Australia you can walk into a bank and deposit directly into the exchanges bank account and have your Bitcoin in minutes.  As Bitcoin becomes more widespread you will find it easier to obtain.
lambdaE

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:40:08 AM

I understand your frustration, in many countries it is difficult to purchase Bitcoin, it just depends on where you live.
In Canada you can simply walk up to an ATM and buy some Bitcoin with cash.  In Australia you can walk into a bank and deposit directly into the exchanges bank account and have your Bitcoin in minutes.  As Bitcoin becomes more widespread you will find it easier to obtain.

Seems interesting, at any ATM or just few Bitcoin ATMs ?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: