Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:20:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Great time to buy  (Read 8657 times)
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 08:40:03 PM

If it survives until the halving next year, maybe it isn't just a Tulip-mania or Beanie Babies scenario.  If it last that long, could it be......Legit???

It's already lasted 6 years, like you mentioned.

Anyone using the phrases "tulip" or "beanie baby" as a parallel is a fucking idiot, and has been for a while.

You should buy more and prove the analogy wrong, so far it's working out decently well.

[/img

What I never understand when people do this kind of comparison is the lack of understanding that no matter what bubble you zoom in to, 2011, 2013, whichever, they ALWAYS look like the tulip graph.
The difference is that bitcoin always has a next one Smiley
The tulip bubble fits better than any other bubble in history chart wise.

The tulip bubble had 2 major bubbles as you can see.
The BTC bubble had 3. The last 2 of them look exactly as the tulip ones, the first one (the 32$ to 2$ one, on mtgox) was done when price and market cap were more than 100X less what they are today, so a lot easier to pump and insignificant in scale as the other ones.

What's your point?

His point is exactly what he said, pay attention because reading comprehension is important:

What I never understand when people do this kind of comparison is the lack of understanding that no matter what bubble you zoom in to, 2011, 2013, whichever, they ALWAYS look like the tulip graph.
The difference is that bitcoin always has a next one Smiley

To illustrate this, I'll use the exact tulip chart you linked.  It came from this site:

http://seekingalpha.com/author/dan-naumov/instablog

What's unintentionally funny about your post is that you used a picture that this guy posted trying to compare BTC to tulips back in April of 2013.  The top line of that blog post read as follows:

"Bitcoin Breaks 100$"

...he proposed his version of the theory and put it up on 4/2/2013.

Put very simply, He tried to say exactly what you're saying now almost two years ago.  He was wrong then.  It turned out to be a false analogy based on only the value aspect of BTC to something else that had value at some point in history.  Trying to claim the same thing now comes off as either stupid, FUD, or trolling - or some combination of the three.  Your user name and lacking content shed light on which of those three your claim is largely comprised of.

Now, the author was correct in saying BTC was in a bubble at that time.  Plenty of people were saying it and were right.  He then went on to incorrectly make the assumption that because BTC was in a bubble that it would behave identically to something else in history that also went through a bubble... despite the two assets/items in question having nothing else in common.  At one point in their history, tulips did have scarcity in common with BTC - again, given that we're discussing ridiculously different assets, their scarcity was not limited by their design.  Supply of tulips started to catch up.  The supply of BTC is fixed.  

Guess what happened after he wrote this? The bubble popped, BTC corrected, did lots of sideways movement, corrected more and then went through the fucking roof.  Again.  

Just like it did when it went up to $266 from $10.
Just like it did when it went up to $32 from <$1.

Getting back to your flawed point:

Except that it doesn't.  The tulip's value bubble correlates with all of BTC's bubbles for possibly 90% of the initial duration.  The ridiculously important detail you missed was the last 10% when Tulips go right to 0 and BTC corrects down, does some price finding and then survives, and has historically gone on to do it all the fuck over again, and see a new ATH due largely to speculation.
Except the fact that the first 2013 bubble (the $260 one) doesn't look like that tulip chart at all.
Also, the dude from your link posted the tulip comparison during the pump, that's not a very efficient way of making an analogy like that.
I showed the tulip-BTC comparison after 1 year of bear market from the $1200 bubble to show you in hindsight that the two charts indeed look very similar.

If anything the first 2013 pump (that I repeat, doesn't look like that tulip chart that much) fits in the larger picture as the first bubble that doesn't correct completely in the tulip chart here:

Calling a top of a bubble before it even starts to dump is stupid. These comparisons make sense in hindsight.

Again, the tulip bubble had 2 bubbles. The BTC bubble had 3.
Are you saying that the first bitcoin bubble (that happened when BTC was very easily pumpable and an obscure experiment very few people knew about, perfect for smart speculators to pump&dump) alone is sufficient to invalidate the tulip-bitcoin price comparison even though the 2 tulip bubbles look EXACTLY like the last 2 bitcoin bubbles (something that you can say only in hindsight)?

ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 08:46:34 PM

NHJT livin up to his name people. Why do you bother?
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 08:52:06 PM

Except that it doesn't.  The tulip's value bubble correlates with all of BTC's bubbles for possibly 90% of the initial duration.  The ridiculously important detail you missed was the last 10% when Tulips go right to 0 and BTC corrects down, does some price finding and then survives, and has historically gone on to do it all the fuck over again, and see a new ATH due largely to speculation.
Is the price of a tulip bulb zero today?

As long as bitcoin can be used for illicit activities or some people can make a quick buck with a daily pump&dump, it will have a price that is not zero. That doesn't mean that its price wasn't a bubble that bursted.

The price of quarkcoin or countless other useless shitcoins is not zero today. So what?

brokenchair

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 08:59:50 PM

As long as bitcoin can be used for illicit activities or some people can make a quick buck with a daily pump&dump, it will have a price that is not zero. That doesn't mean that its price wasn't a bubble that bursted.

The price of quarkcoin or countless other useless shitcoins is not zero today. So what?

There are numerous shitcoins that are 0.  I don't know why you only waste your efforts hear, you can troll the hell out of everyone in the altcoin subforum.
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 09:01:26 PM

Now, the author was correct in saying BTC was in a bubble at that time.  Plenty of people were saying it and were right.  He then went on to incorrectly make the assumption that because BTC was in a bubble that it would behave identically to something else in history that also went through a bubble... despite the two assets/items in question having nothing else in common.  At one point in their history, tulips did have scarcity in common with BTC - again, given that we're discussing ridiculously different assets, their scarcity was not limited by their design.  Supply of tulips started to catch up.  The supply of BTC is fixed.  
Oh, I see what you are trying to say: "tulips were just useless flowers, bitcoin is a revolutionary technology".

The tulip comparison works well because the charts look identical and it works to prove a point using their respective charts. But sure, fundamentals wise is not quite the same. I agree.

Regarding fundamentals, another better analogy I like to bring up is pets.com (or any other domain that went into a bubble like World.com) during the dotcom bubble.
With the idea that:

distributed ledger technologies  -> the internet
cryptocurrencies -> pets.com

You can read all about it in my post here (the second part of the post, mostly)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=931714.msg10236780#msg10236780

Oh, and scarcity, the thing you bitcoiners always like to talk about. bitcoin's scarcity is 100% artificial. It the world doesn't need cryptocurrencies (or at least it doesn't need them for use cases that justify a high price/marketcap), it doesn't need them, whether they are scarce or not.

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 09:06:52 PM

There are numerous shitcoins that are 0.
So? A lot of them that are equally worthless are not at 0. That is enough to prove my point.

brokenchair

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:12:47 PM

There are numerous shitcoins that are 0.
So? A lot of them that are equally worthless are not at 0. That is enough to prove my point.

What is your point?  I know of no other crypto that has the infastructure that btc has?
My point is you are obviously either all pissey because you lost the 10 dollars to your name trying to be a trader or you are a paid shill making $1 a day posting. 
If you were trying to warn people, you would take your efforts to the shitcoins. 
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 09:18:09 PM

What is your point?  I know of no other crypto that has the infastructure that btc has?
Who is talking about infrastructure? I am saying the world doesn't need cryptocurrencies, not that a shitcoin is gonna replace BTC lol

My point is you are obviously either all pissey because you lost the 10 dollars to your name trying to be a trader or you are a paid shill making $1 a day posting.  
When people here says something you don't like you start to insult them with empty personal attacks. Classic.

If you were trying to warn people, you would take your efforts to the shitcoins.  
I don't give a fuck about no shitcoin son, never did.

brokenchair

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:22:15 PM

What is your point?  I know of no other crypto that has the infastructure that btc has?
Who is talking about infrastructure? I am saying the world doesn't need cryptocurrencies, not that a shitcoin is gonna replace BTC lol

When people here says something you don't like you start to insult them with empty personal attacks. Classic.

I don't give a fuck about no shitcoins son, never did.

If you take offense to it it must be true.  I don't insult people who make valid points, I only call the truth, sorry if it hurts.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:33:17 PM

AFAIK tulip bulbs are expansive  Grin
http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/items.asp?cat=Cheap-Tulip-Bulbs&Cc=cheaptulipbulbs

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 09:35:12 PM

Exactly my point  Grin

They still have a price that is not zero, of course  Cheesy

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Except the fact that the first 2013 bubble (the $260 one) doesn't look like that tulip chart at all.
Also, the dude from your link posted the tulip comparison during the pump, that's not a very efficient way of making an analogy like that.

Let's take a step back: the link I grabbed was from -your- tulip bubble chart.  Not mine.  I would not have referenced someone who ended up postulating a theory proven false and then try to claim that today it's true.

I showed the tulip-BTC comparison after 1 year of bear market from the $1200 bubble to show you in hindsight that the two charts indeed look very similar.

If anything the first 2013 pump (that I repeat, doesn't look like that tulip chart that much) fits in the larger picture as the first bubble that doesn't correct completely in the tulip chart here:

Calling a top of a bubble is stupid. These comparisons make sense in hindsight.

Again, the tulip bubble had 2 bubbles. The BTC bubble had 3.
Are you saying that the first bitcoin bubble (that happened when BTC was very easily pumpable and an obscure experiment very few people knew about, perfect for smart speculators to pump&dump) alone is sufficient to invalidate the tulip-bitcoin price comparison even though the 2 tulip bubbles look EXACTLY like the last 2 bitcoin bubbles (something that you can say only in hindsight)?

You're making a lot of weird assumptions now to try and support your point, such as BTC being easily pumpable or whatever.  Those are getting thrown out.  The main point you appear to be trying to make is that BTC is just like tulips because when looking at one view, their bubbles have a similar form - and even that is false.

Right here:

even though the 2 tulip bubbles look EXACTLY like the last 2 bitcoin bubbles

You keep using this word "EXACTLY"...

Because, in the chart that -you- brought up, it very clearly shows Tulips going down directly to zero.

Bitcoin has never once done that, it didn't do it after the first bubble, it didn't do it after the second, and it hasn't done it after the third

Zoom out or in to any point you want, but you appear to be adding your own speculation that it will go to zero and then trying to make the subsequent claim that tulips = BTC.

Except that it doesn't.  The tulip's value bubble correlates with all of BTC's bubbles for possibly 90% of the initial duration.  The ridiculously important detail you missed was the last 10% when Tulips go right to 0 and BTC corrects down, does some price finding and then survives, and has historically gone on to do it all the fuck over again, and see a new ATH due largely to speculation.

I don't know what the value of a tulip bulb is today - however, the evidence that you provided to create your theory shows this:

If you'll note, at the bottom where the line stops, that number is zero.  We are using your own graphs here, so if you have an issue with it, you're more than welcome to throw it out.

Now, conveniently you say this:

The reason why it's convenient, is that once again you've contradicted your own evidence, by saying that Bitcoin will have a price that is not zero.  Here again, you're admitting that Bitcoin provides value, while Tulips went up, and then went to zero.  They never had another bubble.  The sheer fact that Bitcoin exists and has relevance *after* the bubble also disproves your theory.

Now, the author was correct in saying BTC was in a bubble at that time.  Plenty of people were saying it and were right.  He then went on to incorrectly make the assumption that because BTC was in a bubble that it would behave identically to something else in history that also went through a bubble... despite the two assets/items in question having nothing else in common.  At one point in their history, tulips did have scarcity in common with BTC - again, given that we're discussing ridiculously different assets, their scarcity was not limited by their design.  Supply of tulips started to catch up.  The supply of BTC is fixed. 
Oh, I see what you are trying to say: "tulips were just useless flowers, bitcoin is a revolutionary technology".

The tulip comparison works well because the charts look identical and it works to prove a point using their respective charts. But sure, fundamentals wise is not quite the same. I agree.

Identical? No.  Nothing is identical about the two charts you posted.  I've shown it clearly many times, and your refusal to accept that is starting to become indicative of your refusal to accept the fact that words have meanings:

Identical: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/identical
Adjective
1. Similar or alike in every way

Exactly: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exactly
Adverb
1. in an exact manner; precisely; accurately.

Regarding fundamentals, another better analogy I like to bring up is pets.com (or any other domain that went into a bubble like World.com) during the dotcom bubble.
With the idea that:

distributed ledger technologies  -> the internet
cryptocurrencies -> pets.com

You can read all about it in my post here (the second part of the post, mostly)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=931714.msg10236780#msg10236780

No offense, but nothing you've written here gives me any confidence of your ability to construct a well-thought-out argument supporting a theory.  If you want to start talking about fundamentals somewhere else, you're more than welcome.  Your original point was that BTC's recent bubbles and tulips' bubbles were exactly/identically the same (therefore, they are comparable?) but that is false.  The fundamental differences between tulips and BTC are so wildly different that bringing them up here in anything other than a cursory mention would just further derail the discussion.  I can absolutely see why you would want to derail it now given that your initial premise was inherently flawed.

Oh, and scarcity, the thing you bitcoiners always like to talk about. bitcoin's scarcity is 100% artificial. It the world doesn't need cryptocurrencies (or at least it doesn't need them for use cases that justify a high price/marketcap), it doesn't need them, whether they are scarce or not.

Awww "you bitcoiners"? Now you're showing your true colors.  In no way was I trying to suggest that BTC's scarcity is what provides it with value, but here you've gone and taken one aspect of what I wrote and attempted to turn it into something of a point.

What you missed was that I brought up scarcity as one of the only similarities between tulips and BTC, and even then it was only a quality they shared for part of the time, as Tulips scarcity was never limited.  BTC's scarcity is limited by design.  I was arguing that tulips' scarcity was part of what drove their prices higher and the inability to limit said scarcity was certainly a contributing factor in their swift demise.

Summing everything up, your two charts were never identical/exactly the same.  Attempting to use those two charts and try to say that BTC=tulips is just poor trollsmanship.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:48:31 PM

Exactly my point  Grin

Are you sure you're trying to make this point now? It would significantly detract from your prior, still-flawed argument.

Tulips look to be about $3.50 on that site, in today's dollars, whereas at the peak of tulipmania when an average tulip bulb was running $64,000.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/12/when-certain-tulips-cost-more-than-a-house/

So you're trying to say that BTC going from $1200 -> $244 = tulips going $64,000 -> $3.50?

Math can be hard sometimes, but come on.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:54:15 PM

Tulips look to be about $3.50 on that site, in today's dollars, whereas at the peak of tulipmania when an average tulip bulb was running $64,000.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/12/when-certain-tulips-cost-more-than-a-house/

So you're trying to say that BTC going from $1200 -> $244 = tulips going $64,000 -> $3.50?

So you're saying that Bitcoin's a somewhat better investment than tulip bulbs?*
I guess for now, before the price really tanks.  Give it a few months/year Undecided

*If you bought said bulbs at peak price
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:57:37 PM

Best time we have had to buy in a long time.

On "December 05, 2013" you posted an accurate prediction.
Here we are again, and now it is a great time to buy.   Smiley

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 10:04:36 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2015, 10:16:53 PM by NotHatinJustTrollin

@ThatDGuy:

Jesus Christ dude, are we talking semantics now?

I said "look identical", not identical, of course they can't be "exactly 100% identical" FFS.
What I meant is that  the charts show a bubble that doesn't retrace completely (the first tulip bubble I circled) that continues to pump fairly quickly in another one that then eventually retraces completely to reach very low prices, given enough time.
Two bubbles relatively close in time, as the initial charts I posted shows.

Simple. As. That.

Yes, in 2011 BTC was easily "pumpable", a lot of penny stocks easily pump to $1B-$10B marketcap, so anything that has a marketcap A LOT smaller than that can be easily pumped. There are countless famous examples of penny stocks pump&dumps.
It was easily pumpable especially compared to the current marketcap ($2-$3 B).

If you can't understand the difference between pumping bitcoin at $2 to reach a high of $32  and beyond and pumping it at $250 to reach a high of $1200 and beyond I don't know what to say to you.

No offense, but nothing you've written here gives me any confidence of your ability to construct a well-thought-out argument supporting a theory.  If you want to start talking about fundamentals somewhere else, you're more than welcome.  Your original point was that BTC's recent bubbles and tulips' bubbles were exactly/identically the same (therefore, they are comparable?) but that is false.  The fundamental differences between tulips and BTC are so wildly different that bringing them up here in anything other than a cursory mention would just further derail the discussion.  I can absolutely see why you would want to derail it now given that your initial premise was inherently flawed.

Whatever, my point is that scarcity doesn't matter. Such similarities/differences between the two items/assets are just details.
And yes I took the occasion to talk about the so called "scarcity argument" and to say that it is a non-argument for bitcoin. So?

Why don't you comment on the pets.com analogy I mentioned instead of talking about details such as scarcity of tulips and bitcoins?

PS: can't you understand that the tulip chart I posted is highly simplified and that it probably never went to zero in the first place?

deadcon

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:05:44 PM

Exactly my point  Grin

Are you sure you're trying to make this point now? It would significantly detract from your prior, still-flawed argument.

Nope, bitcoin is going to drop to $0.065 in few months
BTC going from $1200 -> $0.065 = tulips going $64,000 -> $3.50
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 10:08:22 PM

Exactly my point  Grin

Again, of course they are not 100% identical and they won't unfold in EXACTLY the same manner. What the hell?
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Also, there is all the time in the world for bitcoin to go way lower than what it is now, don't be so impatient.

NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 10:13:21 PM

Comment on the pets.com analogy instead of talking semantics.

ThatDGuy

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:20:07 PM

@ThatDGuy:

Jesus Christ dude, are we talking semantics now?

I said "look identical", not identical, of course they can't be exactly identical FFS.
What I meant is that  the charts show a bubble that doesn't retrace completely (the first tulip bubble I circled) that continues to pump fairly quickly in another one that then eventually retraces completely, given enough time.
Two bubbles relatively close in time, as the initial charts I posted show.

Wow, okay so you're saying that "look identical" != identical.

This is why I won't be reading whatever other nonsensical post you're trying to point to.

"retraces completely, Given enough time?" oooookay... let's look at the time

Here's your picture:

Looks to be about half of a year that it retraced from the highest point there down to zero.

Now let's look at Bitcoin:

That's strange.  Here we are using a technology that is able to be transferred quickly and globally, with quite a few exchanges and on the 2 year chart we're still not at zero.

That doesn't look anything look tulips at all.

No offense, but nothing you've written here gives me any confidence of your ability to construct a well-thought-out argument supporting a theory.  If you want to start talking about fundamentals somewhere else, you're more than welcome.  Your original point was that BTC's recent bubbles and tulips' bubbles were exactly/identically the same (therefore, they are comparable?) but that is false.  The fundamental differences between tulips and BTC are so wildly different that bringing them up here in anything other than a cursory mention would just further derail the discussion.  I can absolutely see why you would want to derail it now given that your initial premise was inherently flawed.

Whatever, my point is that scarcity doesn't matter. Such similarities/differences between the two items/assets are just details.
And yes I took the occasion to talk about the so called "scarcity argument" and to say that it is a non-argument. So?

Why don't you comment on the pets.com analogy I mentioned instead of talking about details such as scarcity of tulips and bitcoins?

Thanks, I guess? I was arguing that they didn't share it, and it was the closest thing that they both had in common besides a bubble.  I literally was throwing that in there to try and help you out, but now you're down to the only comparison between tulips and BTC being two charts that are vaguely similar, which in your mind vaguely similar=identical/looks identical/exactly the same.

PS: can't you understand that the tulip chart I posted is highly simplified and that it probably never went to zero in the first place?

...and now you're admitting that the tulip chart was drawn on graph paper by some unknown person, possibly using incorrect or flawed data? 

Don't forget that you were the one that brought the chart up to try and make your point that BTC = Tulips.

You're doing all my work for me on disproving your point, man.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: