Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:32:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra trip report  (Read 8750 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
aerobatic (OP)

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:48:52 PM

Hey guys,

i'm on my way to the Inside Bitcoins conference... in Las Vegas and i took the opportunity to swing by Austin last night and make a visit to cointerra.  my second such visit, and there's been lots of changes... a big increase in staff and a lot of progress.   along with a friend (Jimmy Furland, an early bitcoin investor) from London, we've placed a large order with them for their january batch.  we were eager to see how our order was coming along and to see what progress has been made.

today Jimmy and I visited cointerra's new offices (upstairs to their old offices on Jollyville Road, which despite sounding like something from Mary Poppins, is the real name of the street!).  we've been introduced to all the staff, taken some pictures, and also visited one of their contractors (Ascendant) - who's designing the board.  Unlike the last visit we read about on the forums, I think pretty much everyone was in the office today.. so i met with Ravi, Pete, Jim, John etc... even their crypto guy Timo was in town for a meeting today so thats good timing!

if you have any questions you want me to ask them...  or take any photos of the prototype hardware, the team or anything then ask away and i will try and oblige.

ive taken quite a few photos of the work in progress... and will upload here shortly... (once i figure out the best way).  ravi has said the photos i've taken are safe to post... ie containing no special sauce or secrets.

this is not cointerra sponsored.  sure, they allowed me to visit, and take photos... but they are not behind my visit. i am here for purely selfish reasons in that i have a big order and am relying on them to deliver in Jan for it to be worthwhile.   i should stress that i also have orders with other asic companies (including knc, hashfast, bitfury, bfl etc) so i will do my best to be balanced and unbiased.

-- Jez

This is Jimmy and I holding a prototype of the TerraMiner box (yes, just the box!).  Its quite light as its made from Aluminium.. and it doesnt contain anything in it yet... though from later pictures you will see some other stuff.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:13:41 PM

not quite as glamorous as an unboxing... (wish it WAS an unboxing but we'll have to wait a month for that!)

Here's some photos of the front and back of the (prototype) box

two big fan holes visible on the front for the air intakes

a fan intake on the side for the power supplies

You can see the three big fan holes at the back, the two square holes for the power supplies, and two usb and two network holes for connections.

by the way... im not digging the mustard yellow walls, nor the brown-red carpet... but i guess im just not used to Texas office interior decor ;-)
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:16:02 PM

Right on man thanks for taking the time to do this.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:19:11 PM

So, whens the price drop for april orders that will become may orders? Serious question. i'll buy a couple if the price is right.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:22:48 PM

So, whens the price drop for april orders that will become may orders? Serious question. i'll buy a couple if the price is right.

im just a punter.  ive no idea about their pricing... but i suspect the price of bitcoin is going up is the main thing keeping the asic companies from dropping their prices.  they probably think they dont need to!
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:35:57 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2013, 05:04:06 AM by aerobatic

This is Jim.. the VP of Engineering.  Looks like cool stuff on his white board.   i think he's already working on next-gen stuff as the rtl code was finished months ago for the current chip

And John... in customer service (and tech support).  If you call he's the guy with the 'radio dj voice'.  i suspect he'll be doing voiceovers and commercials whenever they get around to advertising

This is Peter (VP Sales) and Wanda

aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:37:48 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 12:17:24 AM by aerobatic

Dianna (Office Admin)

Stephen, Daniel (Customer Service)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:41:45 PM

Will all the units be rackmount cases? I didn't see any option for that in the order form. Rackmount cases would definitely be my preference.

Would it be possible to get "de-badged" cases? Just thinking of those people who have to think about the scruples of those who they're employing to do moving jobs that include these units. With "Terra Miner" and "Coin-terra" written all over the cases, I don't think there's any real way of keeping the purpose of the devices at all discreet. Some bright spark will inevitably start talking about this in their leisure time, or worse, decide themselves to plan a heist on a datacenter or home residence.

Vires in numeris
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:49:57 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 12:18:36 AM by aerobatic

Michael - customer support

Johnny Bitcoin (apparently) - customer service
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:50:48 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 11:14:29 PM by aerobatic

The visit to Ascendant...  Cointerra's board designer...

This is Jon, the ceo of Ascendant...

aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:55:43 PM

This is a prototype board.   The big wires there are to put high loads on the system to test out the circuits and dc/dc converters (the asic is absent which hopefully arrives in late december)

aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:57:00 PM

this was the original cointerra fpga prototype and is now consigned to Ascendant's museum

aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:04:37 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 11:42:35 AM by aerobatic

This is the obligatory 'Box Full of Fans' !   (only this time, with no fans)

This is showing the prototype liquid cooling system including the custom radiator (a massive hunk of metal)

You can see two head units (cold plates, with thermal paste, and built-in pumps) for the asics connected by tubes into the radiator (in parallel, not series).   Cold liquid comes out the bottom of the radiator, pumps around the asic, then returns to the top of the radiator (where fans Cool It).  hey, Cool IT.. a coincidence!?

You can also see the paper 'pcb mockup'.   This Paper Circuit Board (pcb, for short) is very lightweight and literally is paper thin.   Of course, its hashing power is no match for the real pcb, that apparently, arrives tomorrow.  i might be able to get a picture of the new pcb.

aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:07:56 PM

This is Jon at Ascendant, looking very excited that the power supply prototypes have arrived !

an 'unboxing'...!

the Power One power supply is 1100 watts, and is very small.  there's two of them in the box...

aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:09:43 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 12:03:27 PM by aerobatic

Two power supplies mounted into the case...

Shows the power supplies mounted in the box
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:11:05 PM

And the final photo for the day... showing the box from the front, with the cooling system mounted in it.  Look carefully and you can see the thermal paste underneath the 'cold plate' that mounts onto the asic.
madsusies

Activity: 428

BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:12:37 PM

STOP being so cool  Angry  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

▬▬ • • •  BITCOINEVO $XBTE FREE AIRDROP LIVE NOW   • • • ▬▬
▌▌  Secure, decentralised & distributed cryptocurrency with sidechain technology*, on-chain dapps support*, xPoS and zero-proof anonymous transactions*.  ▐▐
aerobatic (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:13:37 PM

Will all the units be rackmount cases? I didn't see any option for that in the order form. Rackmount cases would definitely be my preference.

Would it be possible to get "de-badged" cases? Just thinking of those people who have to think about the scruples of those who they're employing to do moving jobs that include these units. With "Terra Miner" and "Coin-terra" written all over the cases, I don't think there's any real way of keeping the purpose of the devices at all discreet. Some bright spark will inevitably start talking about this in their leisure time, or worse, decide themselves to plan a heist on a datacenter or home residence.

i will ask if you can buy the cases without markings but i suspect not.  you can always buy a sharpie and black it out as it seems to be just white graphic on a black background

Threader

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:15:00 PM

This comment is only for those mining from their homes.

I hope those power supplies are quieter than my 350W 1U power supplies. I had 8 1U racks in my basement at one time and it was quite a racket.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:18:59 PM

Excellent pics, and thank you for taking the time to visit them and post your experiences. It's nice to see things moving along, though hopefully the upcoming pics will be of the PCBs and ASICs Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: