April 16, 2024, 10:15:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should LTC change POW to uphold the no-asic feature of litecoin
Yes - 719 (73.2%)
No - 186 (18.9%)
What is this I don't even - 30 (3.1%)
No, because I want LTC to fail - 24 (2.4%)
Yes, because I want LTC to fail - 23 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 982

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [LTC] Changing the litecoin Proof of Work function to avoid ASIC mining?  (Read 33220 times)
bitracing

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:56:10 AM

NO - because it is dangerous to change fundamental properties of a coin after its release. That is crypto 101.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:57:39 AM

NO - because it is dangerous to change fundamental properties of a coin after its release. That is crypto 101.

You mean like Bitcoin did?
e521

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:13:56 AM

I answered no to the pool, and I have to say I am surprised that the majority of vote is Yes (LTC haters?)
I agree that ASIC technology decreases mining decentralization but ONLY during the first stage.
ASIC is the way to go to secure the network, gain credibility and attract more investors.

Up until now I haven't seen any proof of LTC ASIC, have you? ...

bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:17:02 AM

YaCoin with its increasing N factor already covers that niche. Current memory requeriment is at 4MB (for Litecoin's 128kB), will be 32MB in 2015, 256MB in 2020, 1GB in 2030, etc. Whoever doesn't like the effect of scrypt ASICs on Litecoin can just trade their coins and will likely lose less value than in a hard fork -- which, if it just raises N once, will be just a temporal patch.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
btcrich

Activity: 302

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:00:02 AM

Just having the threat of possibly changing Litecoins algorithm could be enough to keep ASIC's at bay (or keep them secret).

No one will invest in developing an ASIC for Litecoin if there is the chance that the ASIC will then become worthless.  

I used to be against ASIC's being made for Bitcoin while I was mining Bitcoin with my GPU's.  The supply could not meet the demand initially and it felt unfair.  With all the huge delivery delays and scams, I was not prepared to risk investing in ASIC's.  Also, for a about a month, Bitcoin became extremely vulnerable to a 51% attack.  Anyone with just a few ASIC's could have overpowered the network.

Now however, Bitcoin ASIC's are readily available, the network is becoming very secure once again, and the massive investment in technology has only added to the credibility if Bitcoin.  

If Litecoin can follow the same path, I think it will only be good for it.

I haven't actually read anywhere that someone has come close to having a working ASIC for Litecoin though, which is surprising.  Bitcoin was at $15 with 25 btc per block when jgarzik received his first 48gh Avalon.
adolf512

Activity: 532
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:17:58 AM

I voted NO not becuase i wan't this coin to fail but becuase i don't think it would be practically possible to make sush dramatic changes and get most people to agree on a new Nfactor. I don't wan't the coin to fail yet since i need to finance my new multi GPU setup  Grin

A new coin only with a different Nfactor would probably die off pretty fast for obvous reasons.

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:37:14 AM

LTC price thus goes much higher. This is what we've seen in BTCs history.
This is the first time I've heard someone suggest that. I thought it was generally accepted that Bitcoin's price in march was primary related to the increased press Bitcoin received from the cyprus default and bank funds confiscation. 
Check out cypherdocs gold down btc up thread where this economic effect was discussed as a possible cause of btc price rise.  New people come to btc seeing huge gains.  Mining appears on the surface to be easy money.  But once people realize mining is a zero sum losing game they move on to straight investment.  Wouldn't surprise me if eventually we will see a crypto coin released with a ready made ASIC that goes with it.

kramble

Activity: 384

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:22:22 PM

Up until now I haven't seen any proof of LTC ASIC, have you? ...

No proof yet but from this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355268.0 there should be chips in developer's hands in the next few days. The performance is nothing to write home about (60kHash/sec scrypt plus another 1.75 GH/s or so SHA256d in dual mode), but where they lead others will follow.

Jasinlee's Fibonacci project is now claiming to be ASIC too https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=368468.0 though originally it was FPGA. This employs off-chip SDRAM so is likely to be more cost effective IMHO.

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
iddo

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:47:35 AM

No, because I want LTC to strengthen (higher hashrate leads to stronger network).

This statement isn't necessarily true, the correct statement is that higher decentralized hashrate leads to a stronger network.
Here's a comment by coblee on that: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=165015.msg1723744#msg1723744
You can see some more info at https://litecoin.info/Comparison_between_Litecoin_and_Bitcoin#SHA256_mining_vs_scrypt_mining
scyth3

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:32:20 AM

Bump for move votes. Not sure if it even matters anymore Embarrassed
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:36:46 AM

These Scrybt Asics are still vaporware and from what I read in the asic miner thread they more expensive per MH then GPU , only advantage they have is less power consumption

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
BlueDragon747
Legendary

Activity: 1509
Merit: 1030

Solutions Architect

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 02:14:23 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 03:36:39 AM by BlueDragon747

Do we need false resistance?
The problem with picking an algorithm like scrypt is that you are starting with a false assumption of "resistance"(think of a cheap watch that says water resistant)
resistance is not the same as proof! e.g Litecoin started by saying GPU,FPGA,ASIC resistant this has now changed over time to just be Asic resistance, can you see the problem?

Why is it a problem for Scrypt?
Because as the algorithm became more popular and other people starting working on ways to mine scrypt they found ways to mine it on GPU and FPGA thus the so called "resistance" is a flawed method!

What's so bad about Scrypt?
to create the resistance the developers have created a linear function which consumes resources on any platform CPU, GPU, FPGA, ASIC

this is bad for Asic development because it costs money for extra silicon space Undecided

the reason Asic's are so fast is the they are Application-specific integrated circuit and the more cores you can get on a small amount of silicon space/design area the better as it will result in cheaper and faster designs and thus Asic mining hardware

so you can understand that Scrypt Asic's will cost more and also not be able to scale the cores to get good performance in terms of hashes per second for the end user thus it will be a very long time to get your ROI for a Scrypt based Asic device  Cry

The exponential growth of technology is often described by Moore's law and has shown for many years how we will always look for new more efficient and faster ways of doing the same thing  Cheesy

Better Idea?
Pick a fast and well balanced algorithm that can work well on all platforms so when you use it on GPU,FPGA,ASIC you get good performance and lower costs to produce any type of hardware

I think it would be best to have good balance of efficiency, power usage, performance and cost effective implementations on all platforms so when someone wants to spend excessive amounts of money on R&D for a Asic miner they should pick an algorithm that would use very little silicon space = more chips a wafer = cheaper $ per chip

I have picked and modified Blake-256 to fit this exact role as it has a better parallelism than SHA-256 and is faster and uses less resources  Grin

First coin to be made with Blake-256 is Blakecoin (named after the algorithm) and is also merge mine capable   Cool

unlike Scrypt based coins with Blake-256 we can make new coins and then just merge mine them on pools, we can then just mine pools that merge the coins we like rather than this pick and choose battle that is going on in the Scrypt based alt coin world  Roll Eyes

I am not a salesman or a marketing guy so I built Blakecoin from a technical point of view with efficiency and long term use in mind and forgot to add the spin and hype  Cheesy

anyway hope I have explained why Scrypt based Asic's are such a risky investment  Wink

Merry Christmas everyone

Info: GithubBlakecoin.org - BCT Blakecoin thread - Twitter - BCS - BlakeZone  Trade Blakecoin: Xeggex.com Merged Mining Pools: EU3 - NY2/AT1 - LA1
Donation Addresses: BLC: Bd3jJftFbwxWSKNSNz35vkDd57kG6jHAjt PHO: BZXPMc8eF9YZcJStskkP2bVia38fv9VmuT BBTC: 2h8c4NbzXJXk6QQ89r7YYMGhe13gQUC2ajD ELT: e7cm6cAgpfhvk3Myh2Jkmi1nqaHtDHnxXb 
UMO: uQH9H17t7kz3eVQ3vKDzMsWCK4hn5nh2gC LIT: 8p8Z4h5fkZ8SCoyEtihKcjzZLA7gFjTdmL BTC: 1Q6kgcNqhKh8u67m6Gj73T2LMgGseETwR6
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:29:17 PM

The majority have agreed to change the POW. Fork away!

More discussion:
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/1u2fst/a_majority_of_litecoin_holders_agreed_in_a_vote/

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 01:45:36 PM

A significant advantage of existing cryptocurrencies is that the key attributes were made fully public up front, held constant, and not politically revised by any party (so far). If you start making up the rules as you go along, you've just created a less centralized & possibly more democratic, but still politically manipulable, imitation of a Central Bank and fiat currency. Maybe there is demand for that, maybe not, but if you want that, you should at least have the decency to launch it as a new coin, rather than corrupting an existing one.

-rph

Novacoin changes stuff around, they think nothing of screwing around with interest rates for example, setting them nice and high knowing their cronies won't object as long as they plan to change them back low again once they and their cronies have gained lots from the high interest.

Gosh knows what other screwing around they might decide at any moment to do.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 01:49:10 PM

I have picked and modified Blake-256 to fit this exact role as it has a better parallelism than SHA-256 and is faster and uses less resources  Grin

You modified it?

Oh great just what we need, a home-made made-up crypto algorithm.

Didn't they have a don't do this at home label on the damn thing?

Please everyone avoid the damn thing until real cryptographers have had a few years to thoroughly look it over like they probably did with the real Blake that this guy claims to have hacked up somehow.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:28:12 PM

As far as a PoW that will be more ASIC resistant. What about Momentum PoW.. what Protoshares is using: http://invictus-innovations.com/s/MomentumProofOfWork.pdf

EDIT: After thinking about if for a bit, the Momentum PoW would not work as it would effectively cut out current GPU miners. Any change of the PoW must allow everyone that is already participating in mining Litecoin to continue to do so.

Don't believe everything you read. These protoshare guys apparently have never heard of cycle detection algorithms (like Pollard's rho) that find collisions while avoiding the space complexity blowup, their whitepaper is nonsense.

The new Cuckoo Cycle proof-of-work system that I made available yesterday at

https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo

should be more robust against time-memory tradeoffs.
Vertcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:57:53 AM

Check this topic : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=404364.0.

Vertcoin : Adaptive N-factor in Litecoin

Grin

VTC Stealth Address : vJmt8sF4iySr2RnJdZJdqk7CbJMQzwPwQwUsQwKF27qPE7qv9gfhjYqD6VapALi6jv8j6VKUvXYEto6 xmtxoq9oUyBXbV9XsYdt6sA
Please contact us via contact[at]vertcoin.org only, do not PM.
Arros

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:18:00 AM

Not too many voted considering how many people have a stake in Litecoin.
scyth3

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:00:26 AM

Not too many voted considering how many people have a stake in Litecoin.

More people will see the thread if it was stickied by mods.
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 05:43:45 AM

i think yes because being mined few people is bad. If we target to be global currency we must reach all people.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: