Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:15:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you like to see a custom built bike incorporated with the Bitcoin theme?
Yes--Only if I get to Ride It
No--I'm a Sissy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Theme Custom Built Motocycle ~ Virtual Miner  (Read 3668 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 08:12:57 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2011, 08:57:45 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

My brother-in-law and I have decided to build a custom bike, from scratch, based on the Bitcoin theme. Between our two businesses, we feel we have the resources to fund the project, but it's the time involved we were most concerned about. The solution we both came up with--we'll make time! The goal is to have it ready by early next year so that it can be showcased at all the major rallies in 2012. In fact, we'd love to have it at Bitcoin related outings for the sake of having something physical for the event goers to touch and admire (and yes, ride).

We laughed our asses off when we were discussing how to incorporate the steampunk aspect into the design to represent mining rigs. Since we're not sure if that's a good idea or not, we've opted to present the idea to this Bitcoin community for your input. All design elements will be considered. As an added bonus, we feel that this bike should be more than just a piece of art. It should be ridden! Ridden by as many people (not all at one time) as possible, starting with members of the Bitcoin community who desire to ride it while it's at the rallies or events they attend.

Aspects and Features Include:

• Safe to Ride & Street Legal (a given)
  • Incorporation of True Bitcoin Colors
  • Bitcoin Logo Chosen by Members Here
  • Lots of Hand Tooled Leather (Seat, Bags, Grips, etc.)
  • Chrome (you decide how much--cost not an issue)
  • The Community helps in Choosing a Name (with, or without, Bitcoin in it--e.g. The Bitcoin Bike)
  • A Chopper? (you decide)

Finally, as you see, a project the whole Bitcoin community can get behind, and it won't cost you one mined Satoshi. As the project gets rolling, and the custom built starts coming together, pictures will be posted on this board to be oohed and aahed over.

There you have it folks. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to submit your idea(s) with words and/or pictures. This is not Mission Impossible--It's Bitcoin: Exploring the Possibilities.

One more thing. Your vote in the above poll won't matter. We're going to build it anyway.

To view full size and see the details of the eagle, visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6027086110/in/photostream/lightbox/
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 02:31:04 AM

I went to the local bike shop late this afternoon to look at some frames. We're toying with building The Bitcoin (used, until a better name is suggested) around a existing vintage frame opposed to mocking one up from scratch. We're still open on which route to go, welcoming your input. It was a lot of fun, and dirty, walking around the local builder's bone yard.

Upon being asked what project I had in mind, I mentioned Bitcoin and the whole idea about this custom build, along with incorporating design elements offered up from the forum members. Then he wanted to see one, so I had to go into detail about what Bitcoin is and is not. I think know he thought I was losing it, but his interest piqued when I mentioned SR, whereupon he thanked me, stating he'll have to look into it some more because his friend is going to be out of pocket for a couple years. He'll probably be able to supply us with most everything we'll need, or at the very least, help us procure it at cost plus a bone.

As a reminder, this project will be fully funded from our own pockets, therefore no donations are needed nor be asked for. But we are requesting any and all input, for this to be a true community build.

With that said, here's the first few options that'll need addressing at the onset of this build:

• Should it be a Chopper?
  • New, vintage, or custom built frame?
  • Wheel(s) style/design--spokes/forged?
  • Maybe a trike? (we talked about this being a possible option)
  • Color scheme? (Bitcoin colors, but how do you envision them laid out)

Would this be considered an open source project?

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 02:38:03 AM

Awesome. BTCycle.

Somehow I see it being a chopper, but honestly any format would work. Just depends on the customizing bits. Dual fans on the engine heatsinks mocked up to look like 6990s? Hah.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
mizike29

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 02:40:17 AM

Virtual miner is its name lol.   Definitely I vote for chiopper, I love them.  Can work your rims around the bitcoin emblem for sure like the tangible bitcoin on here.  Chopper style with hydraulics that drop the frame to the ground for no need for a kick stand on little bitcoin pegs at bottom of center of frame.  Woudl be tight.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 02:45:13 AM

Awesome. BTCycle.

Somehow I see it being a chopper, but honestly any format would work. Just depends on the customizing bits. Dual fans on the engine heatsinks mocked up to look like 6990s? Hah.

Thank you for your feedback, TT.

...mocked up to look like 6990s

That's where I envisioned my crazy steampunk idea. To bad some chick in Australia already snatched up BTCycle.com.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 03:43:44 AM

Virtual miner is its name lol.   Definitely I vote for chiopper, I love them.  Can work your rims around the bitcoin emblem for sure like the tangible bitcoin on here.  Chopper style with hydraulics that drop the frame to the ground for no need for a kick stand on little bitcoin pegs at bottom of center of frame.  Woudl be tight.

Well, that would sure the hell blow a $25,000 budget out of the water. And to think you did it all in one post. Not sure if it was the hydraulics or the Bitcoin pegs. When I read about the rims having the Bitcoin emblem, I immediately envisioned the letter B as the forged spoke(s) and wondered how much of a challenge it would be to make and still have the wheel balanced. Now I'm thinking of the cost, not for one wheel, but four--two for backups. Who's crazy idea was this anyhow? And how did I get involved? And why did I even have to mention that I'm not accepting donations? But hey, I had a crazier idea once, but somebody beat me to the track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0fK2YPQdA But not this time! I'm seeing this truly inspirational idea through to fruition.

As far as the name you offered up, Virtual Miner,...I MF'in love it! Image the graphics! I wonder if there are any graphic designers on this board. If there are, I wonder when we'll start seeing mock-ups.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 10:47:44 AM

Well, it looks like we're going to stay within budget since nobody has mentioned including a sidecar.

Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 03:56:00 PM

How about a 2 seater trike?  Way cooler than a sidecar and that way people who can't ride or don't have a license to can still go for a spin in it with someone else. Smiley  Of course, this may blow the budget sky high too....

*something like the picture below?  (just less ugly)

Shortline

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 04:55:48 PM

How about a 2 seater trike?  Way cooler than a sidecar and that way people who can't ride or don't have a license to can still go for a spin in it with someone else. Smiley  Of course, this may blow the budget sky high too....

I'm sorry buddy, but a trike is way too stable for bitcoin! You need something that will wobble and crash unless you have a little faith in where you're going with it... just like bitcoin itself, right? Two wheels all the way!

bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 05:05:37 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2011, 05:27:01 PM by bitstarter

Ever check pm's ?  Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 11:10:22 PM

Ever check pm's ?  Grin

Hey, Matt. I did get it. Sorry for not replying earlier. I'm going to give it my full attention now, so look for it in a few minutes. Thank you kindly for the request.
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 11:37:00 PM

here's a bike i sketched up a few months ago....ill probably never have a chance to get it built, so you're welcome to use the design for your btc bike...(just throw me a tip or something if you base your bike off of it)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 01:12:50 AM

here's a bike i sketched up a few months ago....ill probably never have a chance to get it built, so you're welcome to use the design for your btc bike...(just throw me a tip or something if you base your bike off of it)

Handsome design, evolve. I've added it to the mix of design suggestions. Here's a bike that my brother-in-law, Martin, tooled all the leather for: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6031031062/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 05:12:04 PM

*something like the picture below?  (just less ugly)

Your suggested option would easily approach $50K. Let's see if we can get it down to $40K with something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6032922428/in/photostream

Martin tooled the football seat in the above image.

Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 06:08:43 PM

^^^ Where's the motorcycle?

j/k Wink  I personally prefer the look of the low boy (?) to a chopper... but that's just me.  --- The leatherworking is fantastic btw.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 08:51:58 PM

^^^ Where's the motorcycle?

j/k Wink  I personally prefer the look of the low boy (?) to a chopper... but that's just me.  --- The leatherworking is fantastic btw.

I don't know where that motorcycle is now, for Martin tooled the seat a couple years back. He thanks you for the complement, BTW. Here's another image of which features his hand tooled leather seat, for your viewing pleasure: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/6033480780/in/photostream

Feel free to chime in, adding to the conversation, with all your suggestions for the Bitcoin theme, custom build motorcycle. We're all ears!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: