Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:39:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Invest in btc or ltc?  (Read 3472 times)
timau (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:23:21 AM

Hi all, I am new to the bitcoin scene. I am interested in investing but should I invest in BTC or LTC? I am no expert but isn't LTC value dependent on the performance of BTC? Let's say BTC value drops to $0 would LTC value be the same?

In advance thanks for the help.
maxxoccupancy

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:28:09 AM

Everyone will have a different opinion on this.  Mine is that Litecoin is undervalued.  It should, in principle, rise to about 20-30% of Bitcoin's value over time.  However, it is still less than 4% of Bitcoin's value, though it's made big strides lately.  Only a few weeks ago, it was at less than 0.5% of Bitcoin's value, and was just noticed by more exchanges and miners.  It's possible, also, that Litecoin's GPU-friendly Scrypt algorithm brought in some who were late on mining Bitcoins.  Today, GPU's, FPGA's, and even first generation ASIC miners are no longer profitable for Bitcoin.

I would like to work on development of a polymorphic altcoin that maintains a stable value and is more resistant to fraud.
btc: 15diNSNVontYf5iUvQqnLSQJ9rCAHuwpyJ   betyourbits.com      LTC: LRqVTEPcS7uusMy7JDqYEUg6KqdhfRWC5B
DogECoin: DDHG719WNCCav5MWQQqyxLABFhZTG3jwX3     QRK:  QdKnP5SqoG9r4CNuFcY1oesaYUAsu1W5hF
mvidetto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:30:39 AM

Hi all, I am new to the bitcoin scene. I am interested in investing but should I invest in BTC or LTC? I am no expert but isn't LTC value dependent on the performance of BTC? Let's say BTC value drops to $0 would LTC value be the same?

Wait on both imo, when sustainable prices arise for a substantial amount of time, consider buying in.  It reduces risk to you and guarantees a fair buying price.
Desensitizer

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:38:22 AM

Theoretically, BTC and LTC should have no connection in terms of value as they are 2 different currency's. However, a variety of factors such as the confidence of those who have invested in both bitcoins and litecoins, news that affects both cryptocurrencys, and the fact that people can choose to mine litecoin or bitcoin on the same machine depending on each currencys current value and difficulty can cause correlations between the rise and fall of each cryptocurrencys value.

I don't think bitcoins will drop to $0, and neither will LTC. Also if BTC or LTC tanks I would assume people would jump over to the other one if they wanted to continue their investing so it seems unlikely they would both die simultaneously unless something big happened for all cryptocurrencys.

I think right now BTC is better than LTC as LTC is fairly high and BTC has dropped a bit but you really should make that decision yourself after analyzing graphs and watching the trends.
MANofthePEOPLE

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:53:48 AM

Everyone will have a different opinion on this.  Mine is that Litecoin is undervalued.  It should, in principle, rise to about 20-30% of Bitcoin's value over time.  However, it is still less than 4% of Bitcoin's value, though it's made big strides lately.  Only a few weeks ago, it was at less than 0.5% of Bitcoin's value, and was just noticed by more exchanges and miners.  It's possible, also, that Litecoin's GPU-friendly Scrypt algorithm brought in some who were late on mining Bitcoins.  Today, GPU's, FPGA's, and even first generation ASIC miners are no longer profitable for Bitcoin.

Why can't LTC be the same value as BTC?
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:00:09 AM

totally tied to one another, except litcoin will crash harder with a bitcoin crash.

Ch1bi

Activity: 289

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:06:42 AM

Like the people above said I think if possible you should invest in both, you never know.. As far as Bitcoins are concerned I think you should wait a bit before purchasing coins, as the price is dropping for it..

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
stromma44

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:40:08 AM

And would you exchange your 1 BTC for my 1 LTC  Smiley
Numinous1

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:44:53 AM

To make things even more interesting, now there is a crypto called Quark.  Has anyone got any input about the Quark?  It is said to be easily mined on any computer.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:45:48 AM

First of all BTC is the original Cryptocirrency and other coins such as LTC and TRC were created after BTC became popular, in order to gain from the Bitcoin's popularity.

Secondly, there are very few shops / stores which accept LTC as a mode of payment.

Also, don't forget that the total number of BTCs which can be ever created is around 21 million, while that figure stands at 84 million in the case of LTC.
maxxoccupancy

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:50:06 AM

And that 84M LTC vs. 21M BTC is the main reason that Litecoins should settle down near 1/4 of Bitcoin's final value.  Each has advantages over the other.  For example, many new people are getting into digital currency with Litecoin because you can still run a 7950 profitably--for now.  There are also some other technical issues that will be resolved at some unknown point in the future.

The stock market has gold, silver, and treasury notes as tools to be adroitly employed during bear market.  They serve as a kind of island or lifeboat during rough times like the market that we're in.  The crypto exchanges don't have such a currency/tool now, but some of us are working on that.

I would like to work on development of a polymorphic altcoin that maintains a stable value and is more resistant to fraud.
btc: 15diNSNVontYf5iUvQqnLSQJ9rCAHuwpyJ   betyourbits.com      LTC: LRqVTEPcS7uusMy7JDqYEUg6KqdhfRWC5B
DogECoin: DDHG719WNCCav5MWQQqyxLABFhZTG3jwX3     QRK:  QdKnP5SqoG9r4CNuFcY1oesaYUAsu1W5hF
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:12:38 AM

And that 84M LTC vs. 21M BTC is the main reason that Litecoins should settle down near 1/4 of Bitcoin's final value. 

For that the total value (or market cap) of LTC should become equal to that of the BTC. I don't think it'll every happen. May be it could go up to about 1/4th of BTC's market cap, at which point, the LTCs will be worth 1/16th that of a BTC.

cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:20:51 AM

Litecoin...

Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:56:57 AM

Both.

Bitcoin because it is the market leader, most widely accepted, with multi-million dollars of investment behind it.

Litecoin because it has the most decentralized network on standard PC parts, most fair coin distribution, and most likely to survive a government targeted attack.

I wouldn't bother with any other cryptos.

MANofthePEOPLE

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 10:10:18 PM

First of all BTC is the original Cryptocirrency and other coins such as LTC and TRC were created after BTC became popular, in order to gain from the Bitcoin's popularity.

Secondly, there are very few shops / stores which accept LTC as a mode of payment.

Also, don't forget that the total number of BTCs which can be ever created is around 21 million, while that figure stands at 84 million in the case of LTC.

Ok, thanks for the response!
Nandie

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 03:47:42 AM

And that 84M LTC vs. 21M BTC is the main reason that Litecoins should settle down near 1/4 of Bitcoin's final value. 

For that the total value (or market cap) of LTC should become equal to that of the BTC. I don't think it'll every happen. May be it could go up to about 1/4th of BTC's market cap, at which point, the LTCs will be worth 1/16th that of a BTC.

I doubt that 1:4 total market cap.
LTC's adoption level and publicity are not comparable with BTC.
raspcoin

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:11:54 AM

And that 84M LTC vs. 21M BTC is the main reason that Litecoins should settle down near 1/4 of Bitcoin's final value.  Each has advantages over the other.  For example, many new people are getting into digital currency with Litecoin because you can still run a 7950 profitably--for now.  There are also some other technical issues that will be resolved at some unknown point in the future.

The stock market has gold, silver, and treasury notes as tools to be adroitly employed during bear market.  They serve as a kind of island or lifeboat during rough times like the market that we're in.  The crypto exchanges don't have such a currency/tool now, but some of us are working on that.

With availability comes demand, hence Bitcoin should be worth more right now. As for the mining advantage, if this really were relevant, Primecoin would be more significant than it is.

Sammyx

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:17:00 AM

hi!!
its time  to invest in ltc
GroinCoin

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:21:41 AM

To make things even more interesting, now there is a crypto called Quark.  Has anyone got any input about the Quark?  It is said to be easily mined on any computer.

I heard a bunch of people calling it a scam. mostly on reddit but im pretty sure I read a few people say that on this board too. then again its #5 on coinmarketcap and im new to all of this so I guess these could have been people shilling for some other obscure coin?
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:27:28 AM

If btc's value drops to 0 then ltc's value will drop to 0 as well. The difference right now is that if bitcoin doubles in value litecoin has a small chance to lets say triple its value because some people consider bitcoin expensive and altcoins cheap. It 's a bet so if you feel like speculating you may want to try litecoin.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: