Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:26:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Invest or not invest into crypto currency? here is the question  (Read 5380 times)
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:50:33 PM

@OP,

With all due respect, you sound like you know nothing about investing if you just want to own some because it'd be "cool."

My advice:

1) Don't even think about investing unless you have thoroughly researched your investment.  You should know how Bitcoin works both technically and theoretically, you should know the reputations of various btc exchanges and services, etc.  If you don't do this then you're gambling, pure and simple.

2) Think of investing as a job.  Hypothesize and create an investment plan or model and stick to a particular method.  If you create a plan but then change the plan because your emotions tell you to, then you're gambling.  Invest with your head, not your emotions.  If you're investing because you "feel" btc will go to $2000 (or, conversely, if you don't invest because you 'feel' it won't reach $2000) then you're making decisions irrationally.  It's okay to invest based on feelings as long as your feelings are supported by good reasons.

3) Don't expect to get rich, especially if you don't want to spend a lot of time informing yourself about recent news and other developments.  And please, don't invest more than you're willing to lose.

solid advice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinSeeker82 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:43:20 PM

So btc gains aren't enough for you?  Cheesy

You want to invest your btc? Let's have a look at the possible outcomes:

1. Btc goes to zero - you lose

2. Btc goes to the moon, you find the next Asicminer investment (highly, highly unlikely) - you're rich

3. Btc goes to zero, you find the next Asicminer investment - you still lose

4. Btc goes to the moon, you lose all your coins on an "investment" - you kill yourself

Now, if you just held those coins:

1. Btc goes to zero - you lose

2. Btc goes to the moon (much more likely at this point, imo, but there will always be risk) - you're rich

Take it from someone who learned the hard way and lost a bunch of coins on one of the many investment scams. This is a no-brainer. You want to invest in bitcoin? Just hold the damn coins. For the longest time!

And if you guys haven't done the math as to the future value of btc as it becomes adopted then what the fuck are you doing here?

i understand your point but u are missing few possibilities which you dont want to admit.

1. according to you Btc goes to zero - you lose = YEP
2. Btc goes to the moon (much more likely at this point, imo, but there will always be risk) - you're rich = YEP

Now my choice would be. Put btc into bank/firm =

2. Btc goes to the moon (much more likely at this point, imo, but there will always be risk) - you're rich = YEP

same story BUT

2. Btc goes to the moon = you get ur coins back AND investment %
3. btc stays the way it is / rates change / something else = you get your coins back + %

Now:
you buy and keep = no additional profit just u got what u got
u sell = can be loss can be profit depending on rate.

Now:
if you invest in firm/bank = u buy insurance or whatever that whatever happens u have ur coins back

next:
btc rate go down= u get ur coins back at ur deposit rate IF invested, if solo = screwed

or:
btc rate go up = u get mucho profit

Conclusion:
buy/sell solo = you make money or u die in loss
investment = you make money, u dont end up with 0 at worst senario
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:29:25 AM

Afaik there isn't such a thing that will offer you a deposit rate and even if you see one it will be probably a scam.
There is though one project from cyprus for a bitcoin bank that i don't think that it's active yet.
Im sure there is somewhere deposit rate service because at the moment the only thing that is missing is deposit rate service and if there would be one i think it would be very successful because people need one

No it wouldn't be successful at all because people in this community are burnt multiple times from services that hold their coins.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:39:36 AM

I don't know if I should even say this, considering OP's perception of risk seems to be pretty low, but doesn't Bitfinex let you loan BTC to users with interest? I've never used the service so I don't know how risk management would work there.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:54:03 AM

i cant tell you whether you should buy something or not. what i can say is that its very strange that you would be more willing to buy at 1200 and now that the price is cheaper you are less willing to buy in because the price is cheaper. thats very strange and very backward.

It shows that you are focusing on technicals rather than fundamentals and other information in this post indicates that you know very little about trading technicals. Unless you are a very experienced investor than you need to focus on fundamentals. Buy things that are fundamentally undervalued and hold as long as it takes until they become fairly valued. Also diversify because sometimes things wont pan out.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:29:22 AM

So btc gains aren't enough for you?  Cheesy

1. Btc goes to zero

2. Btc goes to the moon

3. bitcoin price stabilizes trades sideways

4. bitcoin price drops to (singles, double, low triples) and stabilizes there and trades sideways

5. bitcoin price raises to triples or higher and stabilizes there

6. the bitcoin economy continues to boom and bust with highs and lows all over the map

7. interest in bitcoin dwindles and becomes traded back and forth by a few hardcore hobbyists at a nominal price

There are a lot more possible outcomes than just 0 or "the moon".  I really wish people would stop spreading that nonsense.
coinSeeker82 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:56:54 PM

1. Btc goes to zero

2. Btc goes to the moon

4. bitcoin price drops to (singles, double, low triples) and stabilizes there and trades sideways

6. the bitcoin economy continues to boom and bust with highs and lows all over the map

7. interest in bitcoin dwindles and becomes traded back and forth by a few hardcore hobbyists at a nominal price

There are a lot more possible outcomes than just 0 or "the moon".  I really wish people would stop spreading that nonsense.

Yes there are and eventually investment services will take a part in this bitcoin
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:15:26 PM

The reason why it can't happen now, is today I loan a bitcoin, tomorrow that bitcoin could be half its value, or double its value... its just too high-risk, and thus there is a pretty big chance of losing money.

All good reasons, but how would you explain that I've been lending bitcoins out for the last year? Use bitfinex, easy, varying return percentages. And the best part is - you lend 1 bitcoin, you always get back 1 bitcoin plus interest, and it's value is... exactly 1 bitcoin! Never half or double of that.

i am satoshi
evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:44:13 PM

1. Btc goes to zero

2. Btc goes to the moon

Yes there are and eventually investment services will take a part in this bitcoin

And? Institutional investment doesn't prevent a single one of the outcomes I've mentioned.
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:10:38 PM

Many bitcoiners are wary of investments or other interest bearing services denominated in bitcoin. Historically, in bitcoin, many of these "investments" or "deposit services" have turned out to be scams or were "hacked", causing great losses for the investors.

As many have already said, bitcoin itself is already rather risky, do you really have anyway of assessing the risk of these bitcoin "investments"? Perhaps there will be more professional and legitimate services in the future, but as it stands now where would invest your coins?
coinSeeker82 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:15:39 PM

1. Btc goes to zero

2. Btc goes to the moon

And? Institutional investment doesn't prevent a single one of the outcomes I've mentioned.

There are 2 things.

1. Why people use banks? Why people invest in banks ?
2. In the world there are many pussies who better buy 2 btc and wait 50 years for profit than have ballz to trade, invest and do some serious business.

I get all your points what u people saying but get fucking ballz and stop cry about failing.. thing positive ..which u probably dont.. cuz in the whole world there are like 5% of people who have ballz to do crazy success or at least die in trying
evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:20:55 PM

There are 2 things.

1. Why people use banks? Why people invest in banks ?
2. In the world there are many pussies who better buy 2 btc and wait 50 years for profit than have ballz to trade, invest and do some serious business.

I get all your points what u people saying but get fucking ballz and stop cry about failing.. thing positive ..which u probably dont.. cuz in the whole world there are like 5% of people who have ballz to do crazy success or at least die in trying

No offense, but I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here.  Maybe you should gather your thoughts, and type them out in a way that doesnt read like a 12 year old texting his friends.
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:22:45 PM

This thread is so Shakespearian.   Can more share a soliloquy?

No matter where you go, there you are.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:36:10 PM

The reason why it can't happen now, is today I loan a bitcoin, tomorrow that bitcoin could be half its value, or double its value... its just too high-risk, and thus there is a pretty big chance of losing money.

All good reasons, but how would you explain that I've been lending bitcoins out for the last year? Use bitfinex, easy, varying return percentages. And the best part is - you lend 1 bitcoin, you always get back 1 bitcoin plus interest, and it's value is... exactly 1 bitcoin! Never half or double of that.

ok ,why would i lend my bitcoin to a an untrusted  third party to hold it for a year  or two
and then take it back with interest and i get back "exactly 1 bitcoin ! Never half or double of that."

why not just keep it myself and eliminate the third party risk ?
coinSeeker82 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:41:18 PM

ok ,why would i lend my bitcoin to a an untrusted  third party to hold it for a year  or two
and then take it back with interest and i get back "exactly 1 bitcoin ! Never half or double of that."

Who would want to put in for 1-2 years, im talking about months..
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:03:32 PM

I was interested in how bitcoin lending works. I got the 1-6% varying on top of the original 1BTC, remember? Smiley Of course there is a risk of the exchange running away, and I'd definitely never put anything larger than 10BTC there. But Mylon said that bitcoin loaning "can't happen now", I just pointed out that it in fact is happening, even if only on exchanges.

i am satoshi
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:56:22 PM

timescale is irrelavant ,they cud steal your coins 5 minutes or 5 years after you hand them over
the point i was making  is ,who do you trust enough to be your "bank " ?
i trust me !

RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 08:09:40 AM

A trader buying low and selling high will outperform a holder but he also invests a lot of time and nerves in the process.

Didn't you mean "spends nerves"? They do seem to grow back slowly, but sometimes it sure feels like they're being pruned at the roots! Cheesy

coinSeeker82 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:52:52 AM

timescale is irrelavant ,they cud steal your coins 5 minutes or 5 years after you hand them over
the point i was making  is ,who do you trust enough to be your "bank " ?
i trust me !

Yeah but no1 is investing into places such as freewebsite.hello.tk. I have not found any services yet and as I understand you guys havent either but im waiting for future to bring such service to existence.

I mean cmon people use btc-e & mtgox. And at least 1% from 100% gets scammed somehow, whether it is withdrawal problems or trading issues. At the moment companies are like that but lets get real and stop treating investment services like they were scam. because actually you are trusting mtgox and others. Why are u doing that? Because they are legit company, right? Well im taking the same here about legit investment company, so why not trust that?

Each time u use mtgox or any other exchange u are risking so i mean seriously... ?
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:01:39 PM

Yeah but no1 is investing into places such as freewebsite.hello.tk. I have not found any services yet and as I understand you guys havent either but im waiting for future to bring such service to existence.

I mean cmon people use btc-e & mtgox. And at least 1% from 100% gets scammed somehow, whether it is withdrawal problems or trading issues. At the moment companies are like that but lets get real and stop treating investment services like they were scam. because actually you are trusting mtgox and others. Why are u doing that? Because they are legit company, right? Well im taking the same here about legit investment company, so why not trust that?

Each time u use mtgox or any other exchange u are risking so i mean seriously... ?

Not to say something will happen with any particular company, but you should have a look at this thread. Bitcoin has had a rough history with services or investments that hold coins.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: