Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:50:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OPEN] BM1380 Worldwide Chip Groupbuy  (Read 7327 times)
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:57:16 PM

Isn't the point of a group buy to pool our funds to get X price and we all enjoy the savings?  Why is there such a markup on chips?

We would want to contribute purchased chips to a final implementation in usb/blade form, but why the heck would there be a (as of prices right now) $2.70 surcharge per chip over the published price for folks getting 1-9 ($2.25 next level, $1.80 next level)?  Shouldn't the added charge be when we have talk of actually manufacturing it into something?
I thought the point was to get enough money together to allow us to have access to the chips; otherwise we're SOL.  25% markups for small quantities is minimal, especially given the risk inherent to group buys.  Look up your average $9 MCU on Digikey, and you'll see them marked up 60% for the privilege of small quantity orders.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MSP430F169IPMR/296-17009-1-ND/656846

Say everyone who buys does so at the 250 chip level, exactly 250 chips.  OP says he is getting 1k, so that makes 9k chips in 250 chip bundles.  At the "group buy" prices, that means each chip buyer is spending an extra $339 to OP, in other words OP makes over $10k for running a "group buy".  That's bullshit. 
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:08:04 PM

Isn't the point of a group buy to pool our funds to get X price and we all enjoy the savings?  Why is there such a markup on chips?

We would want to contribute purchased chips to a final implementation in usb/blade form, but why the heck would there be a (as of prices right now) $2.70 surcharge per chip over the published price for folks getting 1-9 ($2.25 next level, $1.80 next level)?  Shouldn't the added charge be when we have talk of actually manufacturing it into something?
I thought the point was to get enough money together to allow us to have access to the chips; otherwise we're SOL.  25% markups for small quantities is minimal, especially given the risk inherent to group buys.  Look up your average $9 MCU on Digikey, and you'll see them marked up 60% for the privilege of small quantity orders.

Say everyone who buys does so at the 250 chip level, exactly 250 chips.  OP says he is getting 1k, so that makes 9k chips in 250 chip bundles.  At the "group buy" prices, that means each chip buyer is spending an extra $339 to OP, in other words OP makes over $10k for running a "group buy".  That's bullshit. 
In your example, he makes $12k for being willing to put down $90k... so 13% profit.  Yeah, that's a good deal for everyone involved.  We're now able to buy chips in small quantities, and he gets reimbursed for the time, effort, and risk involved in running a group buy of this magnitude.  If you want to risk the $90k and offer a lower price per unit, make your own group buy.  Maybe we'll all move there.
Cheshyr

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:13:13 PM

You can count me in for at least 10 chips, and I'm considering between 50 and 100.  I'll be designing my own system.

Thank you. We will try to support you as much as we can.
It's appreciated; thanks.  Looking forward to the github update.
reactor

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

In your example, he makes $12k for being willing to put down $90k... so 13% profit.  Yeah, that's a good deal for everyone involved.  We're now able to buy chips in small quantities, and he gets reimbursed for the time, effort, and risk involved in running a group buy of this magnitude.  If you want to risk the $90k and offer a lower price per unit, make your own group buy.  Maybe we'll all move there.

Group buy = pool funds to make purchase, you risk amount equal to what you put in.  He wants 1000 chips, so his investment is 1000 chips at Bitmain's price (9.99BTC).  Extra for shipping/handling per order makes sense, extra per chip is greedy and in this case on a giant magnitude.
Cheshyr

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:30:10 PM

Group buy = pool funds to make purchase, you risk amount equal to what you put in.  He wants 1000 chips, so his investment is 1000 chips at Bitmain's price (9.99BTC).  Extra for shipping/handling per order makes sense, extra per chip is greedy and in this case on a giant magnitude.
Unless you're the one paying the actual bill; then your risk is greater, and your investment is greater.  Best case scenario, he only has to cover shipping, tax, and spends hours managing the group buy.  Worst case can get downright ugly.

Either way, it sounds like you're not interested in this group buy, and you're not going to set up your own group buy, so... good luck finding chips I guess. 
reactor

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:35:09 PM

Unless you're the one paying the actual bill; then your risk is greater, and your investment is greater.  Best case scenario, he only has to cover shipping, tax, and spends hours managing the group buy.  Worst case can get downright ugly.

Either way, it sounds like you're not interested in this group buy, and you're not going to set up your own group buy, so... good luck finding chips I guess. 

We're interested and have the money - but not with that chip markup.  It is absurd.  Waiting to see if OP revises that, otherwise we'll just invest directly in Bitmain hardware and not pay middleman greed.
driksson

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:22:28 PM

i dont get this really.. they should sell in stock even for this.. 6 weeks lead time, 1 month production and delivery of miner. will it be profitable?
you would get a successfull groupbuy done very fast if it was done with in stock chips..
its really a bit wierd, since they started selling their miners a long time ago, one would think they have stock of 10k chips already to start selling.. i mean they didnt have a 6-7 week leadtime for their miners.
sf2

Activity: 273

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:02:05 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 12:31:10 AM by sf2

Smiley
incognitoworker

Activity: 736
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:25:55 PM

Interested in finish made racks... :-)
Must be asembled since i cant!

Quotient- Closed loop economy enviroment experiment
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1195335.0
Beastlymac (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:30:38 AM

Yes they will all be completely assembled.

Message me if you have any problems
incognitoworker

Activity: 736

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:02:54 AM

Most def interested.
How will price end up compared to the antminer? 180ghs @ 4ish btc

Regards

Quotient- Closed loop economy enviroment experiment
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1195335.0
Beastlymac (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:33:08 AM

Most def interested.
How will price end up compared to the antminer? 180ghs @ 4ish btc

Regards
Currently not sure. We are awaiting the information to be released by bitmain so we can get a quote from the fab.

vs3

Activity: 622

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:22:53 AM

I think I already see another incarnation of the NanoFury coming ... Smiley

Beastlymac (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:28:15 AM

I think I already see another incarnation of the NanoFury coming ... Smiley

That sounds like a great idea Smiley

sf2

Activity: 273

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:00:37 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 12:30:59 AM by sf2

Smiley
vs3

Activity: 622

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 09:31:26 AM

At this stage a dual chip USB hashing 3.2gh under 2.5w would be the niche. Double the hashing with just adding another low cost $10 chip.

That should be possible. On the other hand - my NanoFury devices were rated for around 2GH at 2.5W and with just a minor (software) adjustment can easily do 2.4-2.6GH even though they'll use more than 2.5W in that case ... So, guess how many people are running them at the stock 2GH Smiley

But either way - a dual-chip hasher "starting" at 3GH/s @ 2.5W should be a nice add-on. And of course we will have to design the whole thing to easily go over 4GH - just because it can (and because it's almost a given that people will try to push it there anyways)

Beastlymac (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:16:27 AM

Would everyone be interested in this?

Bitmain, i send you a PM about the chips, can you please take 2 minute and answer?

Thanks and PM answered.

Updated with a newly added policy, Paying extra 10% can accelerate the lead time to 4 weeks.

We have already made the documents we think is completed for building a miner with our chip. We will send to some community member to review for two or three days, and we can know whether there is something that will make other EE confused or hard to understand. Then we release all the documents to the public.

Cheshyr

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:44:16 AM

Bitmain, i send you a PM about the chips, can you please take 2 minute and answer?

Thanks and PM answered.

Updated with a newly added policy, Paying extra 10% can accelerate the lead time to 4 weeks.

We have already made the documents we think is completed for building a miner with our chip. We will send to some community member to review for two or three days, and we can know whether there is something that will make other EE confused or hard to understand. Then we release all the documents to the public.
My initial response is yes, but if the extra money prevents us from getting enough interest to make the buy in the first place...  10k chip is a lot of interest to gather, and I've only seen about 2k initial interest in this thread.  :-(
Beastlymac (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:43:07 PM

Thanks and PM answered.

My initial response is yes, but if the extra money prevents us from getting enough interest to make the buy in the first place...  10k chip is a lot of interest to gather, and I've only seen about 2k initial interest in this thread.  :-(
We have around 7k interest in chips so far.

madpoet

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:50:38 PM

I probably would but I still need to know about the actual miner designs/costs.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: