Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 06:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt / bitcoind version 0.8.6 released  (Read 34096 times)
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:32:06 AM

Is there any chance for future releases that the upload bandwidth used by bitcoind could have a throttle option?
There is a Linux script in contrib/qos that allows throttling the outgoing bandwidth for connections on the Bitcoin network.
For other operating systems, there are likely similar ways to throttle certain applications/ports.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 07:51:12 AM

Yay I can finally combine my smaller amounts of BTC!

bitmagi

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 04:12:39 PM

What is the secret to validating the download with the signature?  I am used to verifying files having a download file say file.tar.gz and then a file.tar.gz.asc and running:
Code:
gpg --verify file.tar.gz.asc 
after importing the authors public key.  However with bitcoin-qt the signature file SHA256SUMS.asc seems to have signature data for all the different versions of bitcoin-qt.  When I import Gavin Andresen's public key and run:
Code:
gpg --verify SHA256SUMS.asc 
I get "Good signature" no matter what.  For instance if I completely delete bitcoin-0.8.6-linux.tar.gz I still get "Good signature"  if I create a blank file called bitcoin-0.8.6-linux.tar.gz I still get "Good signature".  It's as if it isn't actually verifying against the bitcoin-0.8.6-linux.tar.gz file.  What am I doing wrong?
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 05:46:17 PM

I've looked around and can't find an answer regarding transaction fees paid by qt client.  It seems like sometimes it asks for a trnasaction fee and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it says it's going to be one fee and then it's less when I confirm I want to do it.  Finally I have heard you can do slower transactions for less fee but I can't find how to do this.  Thanks

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 09:24:04 AM

What is the secret to validating the download with the signature? 
First, you check that the downloaded file match the SHA-256 checksum in SHA256SUMS.asc
Code:
shasum -a 256 bitcoin-0.8.6-linux.tar.gz

Then you check that SHA256SUMS.asc itself has not been tampered with
Code:
gpg --verify SHA256SUMS.asc
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:46:25 AM

When will come to the Ubuntu repository ?

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
rocket888

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:26:56 PM

I just want to thank all of you for helping me with these issues. I am very new to this and I feel like the posters here are very helpful! Keep it up!!!
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:55:43 PM

So I downloaded this for use with OSX 10.9.

I added the app to the Applications folder after verifying the sig. As a shortcut, I copied accross the 'blocks' and 'chainstate' folders from a VM I had running bitcoind on Ubuntu 13.04.

I then opened the Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.6, which 'hung' at the "Opening wallet" splashscreen, for about 24 hours. Luckily I could see in the console debug.log that it was just verifying the blocks, but to go from ~160,000 (where it started) to ~274,000 (where we are now) took 24hours using >700% CPU on an 8 core i7 (Ivy Bridge). Not sure if this is normal behaviour/speed as normally I sync from the network most of the blocks...? I woudl appreciate if anyone would like to comment on this time taken...

It then proceeded to work as expected. I have closed and re-opened the app with no corruption, but have not yet powered the computer off (after safe shutdown) to see if I can then re-open without levelDB corruption.

Will update when I do this, but so far, thanks for this release!

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:56:40 PM

I've looked around and can't find an answer regarding transaction fees paid by qt client.  It seems like sometimes it asks for a trnasaction fee and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it says it's going to be one fee and then it's less when I confirm I want to do it.  Finally I have heard you can do slower transactions for less fee but I can't find how to do this.  Thanks

This may not be entirely accurate for this latest release of Bitcoin-Qt (as it only just came out!) but will explain fees pretty nicely for ya!

http://bitcoinfees.com/

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 05:21:58 PM

but to go from ~160,000 (where it started) to ~274,000 (where we are now) took 24hours using >700% CPU on an 8 core i7 (Ivy Bridge). Not sure if this is normal behaviour/speed as normally I sync from the network most of the blocks...? I woudl appreciate if anyone would like to comment on this time taken...
This is why a new checkpoint would have been nice with this release, full transaction signatures are only verified for transactions in blocks after the checkpoint. I would think that is an unusual amount of CPU time though.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 08:15:03 PM

When will come to the Ubuntu repository ?

Never. The Bitcoin devs specifically asked package managers not to.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:44:48 AM

Never. The Bitcoin devs specifically asked package managers not to.
Correct. It would be great to have the latest version in the package repositories but that's not how it works. Due to stable release policies and such they never keep it up to date.

Use the PPA, at least we have that under control ourselves. https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/bitcoin

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
aamarket

Activity: 259

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 05:50:17 PM

thanks to all!
bitcoind seems to be running fine on rk3188 ARM with latest p2pool, compilation failed with Fedora 19x64,will try later.
great work !

IMPORTANT:http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0,Tips welcome BTC:1AAMARKETmJvfjDwEFmhyYYwfre7ZFVseP  RIC:RGnX6LcJrsVEuYeySDDxkmH7AjRqoprcKt
buzybit

Activity: 275

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 10:49:47 PM

thank you !
just updated with your steps
everything went fine!!
welldone! Smiley
cjp

Activity: 210
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:39:17 PM

This is a maintenance release to fix a critical bug; we urge all users to upgrade.

Looking at the release notes, I don't understand which of the changes fixes a critical bug. Is this one of the OS X specific changes, or is it about a bug that affects all platforms? What is the impact of the bug?

Donate to: 1KNgGhVJx4yKupWicMenyg6SLoS68nA6S8
http://cornwarecjp.github.io/amiko-pay/
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 04:20:24 PM

This is a maintenance release to fix a critical bug; we urge all users to upgrade.
Looking at the release notes, I don't understand which of the changes fixes a critical bug. Is this one of the OS X specific changes, or is it about a bug that affects all platforms? What is the impact of the bug?
The blockchain getting corrupted and the program crashing when you start it or when you send money are kind of annoying...
This whole thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=337294.0

Release notes

+- Default block size increase for miners

+  (see https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/7670433#086-accept-into-block)

+- Remove the all-outputs-must-be-greater-than-CENT-to-qualify-as-free rule for relaying

+  (see https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/7670433#086-relaying)

+- Lower maximum size for free transaction creation

+  (see https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/7670433#086-wallet)

+- OSX block chain database corruption fixes

+  - Update leveldb to 1.13

+  - Use fcntl with `F_FULLSYNC` instead of fsync on OSX

+  - Use native Darwin memory barriers

+  - Replace use of mmap in leveldb for improved reliability (only on OSX)

+- Fix nodes forwarding transactions with empty vins and getting banned

+- Network code performance and robustness improvements

+- Additional debug.log logging for diagnosis of network problems, log timestamps by default

+- Fix Bitcoin-Qt startup crash when clicking dock icon on OSX

+- Fix memory leaks in CKey::SetCompactSignature() and Key::SignCompact()

+- Fix rare GUI crash on send

+- Various small GUI, documentation and build fixes
cjp

Activity: 210
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 05:06:40 PM

The blockchain getting corrupted and the program crashing when you start it or when you send money are kind of annoying...
This whole thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=337294.0

OK, so just to be sure: if I understand correctly,
  • This bug certainly affects OS X users, and possibly (but probably not) users of other platforms.
  • The impact of the bug is that your local copy of the block chain gets corrupted, causing program crashes and generally making it impossible to use the software
  • The bug does not lead to a wallet corruption, and it does not allow hackers to do nasty things, such as bitcoin theft or gaining access to your computer

I wanted to know this, because I follow certain procedures when upgrading to a new version, and this will take some time. Since I've been using 0.8.5 without problems on an non-OS X platform for a while, I think I can safely continue to do so, until I've finished the upgrade to 0.8.6.

Donate to: 1KNgGhVJx4yKupWicMenyg6SLoS68nA6S8
http://cornwarecjp.github.io/amiko-pay/
wumpus (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:51:37 PM

There are a few sort-of critical bugs fixed. Transmitting empty transactions and getting banned is ugly. The rare crash-on-send in the GUI can also be quite nasty.

The OSX bug does not affect any other platforms.

socky

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:17:38 PM

Nice! Good fixes.
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:34:42 AM

anyone have build instructions?

$ git pull

$ make -f makefile.unix
make: makefile.unix: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `makefile.unix'.  Stop.

$ echo 'WTF?!!!'
WTF?!!!

$ ./configure
-su: ./configure: No such file or directory

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: