Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:39:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading $300 for your BTC. I am paying premium!  (Read 4183 times)
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:05:13 AM

The only reason I can think of why you didn't get it yet is because of transaction fees or lack thereof. Maybe the person is waiting to make sure you don't reverse the transactoin. Maybe they are waiting to transfer the money out of their paypal account before they send you the bitcoins.

Other than that I can't think of any reason why you haven't had it show up yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thefatcat (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:08:31 AM

indio007, she said she already sent the BTC.  Only reason I haven't contacted paypal (besides being advised) is she was kind, articulate, and bright.  I didn't think she was a scammer, but the lack of BTC says otherwise.

Hopefully there's a reason for all this and no harm is done.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:49:19 AM

You may get your PP account/funds frozen for 180 if you notify PP. I will never understand why people continue to  risk using PP for BTC transactions. Good luck to you nonetheless.

Can you explain why PP for BTC is frowned upon?  I do appreciate you taking time to respond to this situation, but could you elaborate?  PP would freeze my account for 180 days because I tried to buy bitcoin?

PP does not permit buying/selling BTC or other virtual currency as reported by several members a few months back after several $5k+ accounts were frozen for 180. I have not verified this in the recent PP terms but I recall 8 - 10 cases of this over last few months.

Aside from PP prohibiting virtual currency transactions, then you have to deal with chargebacks when selling BTC for PP and/or any potential reversals by the sourcing financial institutions.

That is why there is a big fat warning stickied on the marketplace subforums not to transact via PP.

Also, if the BTC seller indeed sent 25 BTC it would show up on the network in a few seconds (3 - 10) after sent. It would be included in the next block at earliest and could be included several blocks later but typically my sends land on the next block (with no tx fee). Once included in a block it will be visible in Block Explorer. If a send is not yet in a block it can often show at Bitcoin Charts. If after 15 minutes or so it is in neither it 1) likely has not been sent or 2) sender not connected.
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:26:57 PM

She sent me an email asking if I received the BTC.  she said she sent the email through her phone cuz her internet it out or something.  Anyways, I told her no I didn't and there's no history of her sending it.

Told her to hop on the forum and send the BTC.  Hopefully works out.

thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 07:11:34 PM

When can I contact paypal and you guys consider it OKAY, so I don't appear to be a scammer?  She hasn't posted in this thread since she said she sent the BTC.  She said her internet is down and is sending emails via cell phone. 

And when she told me to send the money she said to put "for Bitcoin, the virtual currency" in the description, which I responded saying no, I shouldn't because paypal doesnt like BTC.  She insisted I put that in the description which further leads me to think I have been scammed.

Input is greatly appreciated.
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 07:26:08 PM

I would reverse it while I still could. If the bitcoin ever arrive, simply send them back.
ffuentes

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 07:32:17 PM

A scammer would use PayPal to receive money?

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 07:55:37 PM

ffuentes, I have sent money via paypal before and was unable to get it back.  It's quite possible.  If she sends the BTC I will send back the money.  But it's obvious this is bullshit.

EDIT: not to mention yesterday, before I sent the money, she was responding to my emails literally within 30 seconds.  It's been hours since she has responded, and does it not seem a little odd that she hasn't posted on this forum since she said she sent the BTC?  Trust me, I really do want the BTC but I am not going to stand by and watch $300 of my money go to some scamming *sshole.
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 08:24:58 PM

I contacted paypal and claimed fraud.  one of the $100 i sent was as a personal gift, so they can't get that back.  The other two 100's are under investigation.  I can't chargeback because I used moneypak to fund the paypal account.

Looks like I have been scammed and I'll be surprised if I get any money back at all, since I am at her mercy.

Let me be a lesson to anyone new to BTC, don't rush into buying BTC without a trusted source, and if things seem fishy, just back out.  I should have known something was up when she (or he for that matter) insisted I type bitcoin in the description.  I should have known something was wrong when she wouldn't send me BTC for each $100 I sent.  Yet I went along with it anyway (mostly to avoid being labeled a scammer).  Now I am out of $300 I needed for BTC for my move across the country. 

Scammers are pieces of shit.  She was quite polite and kind but apparently all kinds of people will f*ck you over when they're anonymous.
shaun5000

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 08:27:23 PM

Why don't you just buy from an exchange, say www.cavirtex.com or mtgox.com, if you order a large enough amount Mtgox will wire you the money and cavirtex can do a email money transfer via canadian banks. That is the most reliable way to ensure a smooth bitcoin transaction.
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 08:30:21 PM

I wanted to do moneypak because I had such great success with "trader steve".  It was so quick and fast.  Money wire takes days, and time was not on my side (I am moving by tuesday).  I learned a $300 lesson, and it sucks.

I will use Mt. Gox when I have the money again.  For now I gotta lick my wounds and figure out how to get some $ or BTC before I move.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 08:31:29 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you need the coins for?  It seemed like it was pretty urgent.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
ffuentes

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 08:47:03 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you need the coins for?  It seemed like it was pretty urgent.

+1 Why?

May be Raeldi will run with $100 dollars or maybe she appears now in this same thread claiming innocence.

My bitcoin address
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 08:51:46 PM

I am moving across country for a new job.  (going from east coast to west coast).  I start in 10 days.  It's a nice computer engineering job, so  this $300 won't matter down the road, but right now I just graduated from college and am very VERY broke.

I have addison's disease and need to take cortisol  to keep healthy and it's not cheap.  I was going to purchase cortisol using Tor and have it shipped to my Arizona location, so when I arrive I won't have to deal with finding a new doctor, making an appointment, and gettting my medication while juggling my new job.  I contacted my dick-head doctor from Florida and he said he will NOT send a script up here to Atlanta, GA (staying here with my twin brother before I move).

So my options are drive 12 hours out of the way to get cortisol from my mother (same disease) or doctor, which adds 24 straight hours of driving to this already long trip, which sucks.  I can try to get my mom to mail me some cortisol, but she's afraid of the law.  Or try to make some $$ and go to a doctor here in Georgia, but it's already Friday, and I doubt I'd be able to find a doctor to pencil me in for Monday.

Obviously money was already an issue so it looks like I either drive to get the cortisol, or I go without it for a few days until I can get an appointment in Arizona.  Granted, not taking my cortisol doesn't mean I will die.  I have done it before and actually didn't feel bad other than shaky.  But it CAN be potentially fatal.  

Sorry for the rant, just having anxiety about it all and pissed at myself for letting my money go and putting myself in a situation that's going to cost me 24 straight hours of driving.  I know, could be worse.  But losing 24 hours of my time and $300 really sucks.
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 08:55:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you need the coins for?  It seemed like it was pretty urgent.

+1 Why?

May be Raeldi will run with $100 dollars or maybe she appears now in this same thread claiming innocence.

She may claim innocence, but how do you claim to have sent BTC, when it never was sent?  Trust me, I really REALLY want this to work out, and I didn't want to have to contact paypal as of yet, but all signs point to SCAM.  If anyone of you were in my position, I think you would have done the same.  But in the grand scheme it's a waste, if I do get my money, it'll only be $200 and it won't be until my job.  

EDIT:  Also, I have been watching her activity.  She's been on this site multiple time TODAY and hasn't said anything via email OR this thread.  Does that not scream "RED FLAG"?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 09:04:32 PM

If she had sent it there would be a public record of receipt if you check the receiving address on www.blockexplorer.com . I am still willing to supply you with that BTC we discussed, in fact possibly a bit more than stated. PM me if you are still interested.
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:10:27 PM

Message sent TECSHARE.  I am very nervous about attempting to get more BTC but apparently people can vouch for you, yes?  I can spend, at most, $300 more to get BTC.  I have enough money rationed for gasoline.  the $300 I can spend was reserved for motel / hotel stays along the way, but I'd much rather having the peace of mind knowing my meds are secured and waiting for me. 

Let me know.
jboss

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:32:52 PM

sounds like you got rolled.

how many bitcoins did you need to get yourself cross country?
ffuentes

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 09:35:32 PM

Message sent TECSHARE.  I am very nervous about attempting to get more BTC but apparently people can vouch for you, yes?  I can spend, at most, $300 more to get BTC.  I have enough money rationed for gasoline.  the $300 I can spend was reserved for motel / hotel stays along the way, but I'd much rather having the peace of mind knowing my meds are secured and waiting for me. 

Let me know.

But why are you talking about spend in buy BTCs as something so important. If you want it, buy it in Mtgox or CampBX or something.

All of this looks strange.

My bitcoin address
thefatcat (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:54:38 PM

I need about 25 BTC.  TECSHARE said he will assist me.

Ffuentes, this is my first time with BTC.  I needed the BTC asap so I can order the meds and have them waiting for me.  Even a day without cortisol is dangerous.  My understanding is mtgox takes days, as apposed to minutes if I trade with someone like TECSHARE.  I am risking cash for speedy BTC... And lost
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: