Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:45:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Motherboard designed for mining, and better riser cables in this thread.  (Read 63276 times)
GTX-DoX

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:54:45 PM

Well... If I go with powered risers whats the point of buying H81 Btc Pro if it's not for using its molex connectors on board. I can just buy cheaper one and go with powered molexes... It would be the same thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:02:56 PM

Well... If I go with powered risers whats the point of buying H81 Btc Pro if it's not for using its molex connectors on board. I can just buy cheaper one and go with powered molexes... It would be the same thing.

And it would actually be worth something when you went to sell it in a few months/years.

That board is a gimmick for noobs, as pointed out previously.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
jackkiej

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:09:49 PM

And it would actually be worth something when you went to sell it in a few months/years.

hah, the exact same reason why I ain't buying it, the resale value will decrease a lot.
GTX-DoX

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:27:39 PM

What's your recommendation on Best Buy Mining board out there ?
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:47:37 PM

What's your recommendation on Best Buy Mining board out there ?

I honestly don't know the current market, but I bought a whole bunch of z77a-gd45's for $75 bucks ea. over black Friday. You can still find them occasionally, for $75-100. The GD65 is another good one, though a bit more expensive.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Praeconium

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:18:30 PM

If one was to buy USD risers, would it resolve shorting pins and powered/not powered issue?
radi324

Activity: 196

Muniti creator

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 07:08:36 PM

My card isn't being detected by the PC when on a USB powered riser. Any reason for this? Is there a setting which needs to be changed from BIOS?

[MUN] Muniti - Malta's National Cryptocurrency - http://www.muniticoin.com/

Bitcointalk thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=545886.0
ssateneth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:31:55 AM

Not necessarily. The retail price of that motherboard is 69 bucks, which is much cheaper than other 6 gpu capable boards. It's not required to plug in the molexes on the motherboard since they only supplement the existing 12v power from the ATX connector.

andydabeast

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:19:51 PM

RANDOM QUESTION so why does the pro BTC board use intel? AMD cpu's so much cheaper. It also seems that most 5+ gpu boards people use are intel. Are the AMD ones like UD7 not as good?

make your BTC grow!
https://btc-arbs.com/referral/andydabeast
sharing is caring! LTC- Ld9dvgz5UfSpNXKNXHe766huw2dxi9iTWL
repairguy

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:31:18 PM

RANDOM QUESTION so why does the pro BTC board use intel? AMD cpu's so much cheaper. It also seems that most 5+ gpu boards people use are intel. Are the AMD ones like UD7 not as good?

Just because a motherboard has 6 slots does not mean that you can use them all at the same time.  There are also some motherboards that are finicky or require little tricks to make them work right with all of the slots occupied and the manufactures can provide almost no support or information on the topic.  I would guess that the majority of the community uses intel boards because at one point in time one person said "hey this board works great" and it happened to be an intel board, so then everyone bought that board rather than buying one and taking a gamble/swearing at it for days before you get it to function if you can get it to work at all.

Some of them don't like risers, some of them don't like usb risers but are ok with regular risers.  Some of them will only work if you use risers in certain slots. Some of them need presence pins jumped.  Lot of pain in the ass variables when you can just get a board that you know will work.

I have ran 6gpu amd boards and all but one I worked with was a pain in the ass.  and the good one is discontinued and cant be found anymore.
dbbit

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:32:18 AM

I have a riser question.

I'm using a Asus P8P67 WS REVOLUTION motherboard which has 4 PCIx16 and 3 PCIx1 slots.

I have GPU's directly on the MB in the x16 slots, and I'm using risers to get additional GPU's into the x1 slots. This all works, but is a big mess. I'd like to use risers even from the x16 slots so I can build a separate case.

So I just tried the x16 to x1 risers (+molex) that I'm currently using from the x1 slots. HOWEVER, those risers don't work from the x16 slots - ONLY from the x1. The cards just vanish from the O/S.

Do I need to use x16 - x16 risers (or an otherwise special type of riser) to rise a card from a x16 slot?

Preferably I'd just like to USB 3 risers for all the cards, if possible?
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:43:30 AM

I have a riser question.

I'm using a Asus P8P67 WS REVOLUTION motherboard which has 4 PCIx16 and 3 PCIx1 slots.

I have GPU's directly on the MB in the x16 slots, and I'm using risers to get additional GPU's into the x1 slots. This all works, but is a big mess. I'd like to use risers even from the x16 slots so I can build a separate case.

So I just tried the x16 to x1 risers (+molex) that I'm currently using from the x1 slots. HOWEVER, those risers don't work from the x16 slots - ONLY from the x1. The cards just vanish from the O/S.

Do I need to use x16 - x16 risers (or an otherwise special type of riser) to rise a card from a x16 slot?

Preferably I'd just like to USB 3 risers for all the cards, if possible?

Just use USB risers, like in my sig Smiley
The risers you are using don't have the presence pin shorted, so they don't register in the 16x slots.
CoinBreader

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:26:05 PM

I read about fried Asrock Pro BTC boards when people used them with powered risers but also heard claims that without powered risers only 2-3 cards would work.

I'm planning on building a rig with an Asrock Pro BTC mobo in mind with 5 cards, but with 2-3 types of video cards, with different power consumptions. So what would be the safest route to take?

Always use powered risers and if you don't understand what I just wrote, let me put it a different way..............................

ALWAYS FREAKING USE POWERED RISERS!

There!

Get it?

Got it?

Good!

My $.02.

Wink

Big thanks to LostDutchman saved me from a lot of headache's!
cheers! Smiley
coincowboy

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:16:12 PM

So how are people's testing with this board going?  Anyone put it through the ringers with 7990s or 4-6 290's or 290x's?  I really want to know how this board handles the higher powered boards with powered risers or even without.  My initial experiences with this board seem to indicate its not giving enough power over the 1x slots, even with powered risers.  Please feel free to prove me wrong.

My config:
Windows 8.1
XFX 7990 reference design
Powered riser in 1x slot = Display Driver stopped and has recovered problems
with card by itself in 16x slot = stable until you try to add another card - then Display Driver issues again.

I'm utterly disappointed with this board.  Maybe you have the information to make me happier?  LOL
RickJamesBTC

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:50:49 PM

So how are people's testing with this board going?  Anyone put it through the ringers with 7990s or 4-6 290's or 290x's?  I really want to know how this board handles the higher powered boards with powered risers or even without.  My initial experiences with this board seem to indicate its not giving enough power over the 1x slots, even with powered risers.  Please feel free to prove me wrong.

My config:
Windows 8.1
XFX 7990 reference design
Powered riser in 1x slot = Display Driver stopped and has recovered problems
with card by itself in 16x slot = stable until you try to add another card - then Display Driver issues again.

I'm utterly disappointed with this board.  Maybe you have the information to make me happier?  LOL

If you're going to post it in multiple threads, at least post the same info. You are wrong about power, that isn't how it works. These motherboards work fine, I've had zero issues with them.
nvandertill

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:35:15 AM

I've found a super easy way to short the 1x presence pins. Take a 68 ohm resister (same thing you use to make dummy plugs) and use that to short the 2 slots in the bus. No more trying to cut down wires. No more bending before they fully insert. It works instantly. Hope I save someone here countless hours.
xdotcommer

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:45:51 PM

Having issues with Asrock H81 BTC and 6 280x Tri-X Saphire  USB 3 Powered Rizers on Linux  (Debian, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 14.04)
ADL SDK 2.9/2.8 and Catalyst 13.2 and 14.1

The issue is consistant on all boards Xorg hangs @100% at startup without seeing login screen(usually black screen). This causes "cgminer -n" to hang at startup.

If all cards but 1 or 2 cards are removed the boot is fine and I can mine no problem.

Detailed investigation on reddit where many other people are having the same issues.
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1xpir6/ubuntu_and_xorg_at_100_and_cgminer_n_hangs_6_cards/

RickJamesBTC

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:51:52 PM

Having issues with Asrock H81 BTC and 6 280x Tri-X Saphire  USB 3 Powered Rizers on Linux  (Debian, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 14.04)
ADL SDK 2.9/2.8 and Catalyst 13.2 and 14.1

The issue is consistant on all boards Xorg hangs @100% at startup without seeing login screen(usually black screen). This causes "cgminer -n" to hang at startup.

If all cards but 1 or 2 cards are removed the boot is fine and I can mine no problem.

Detailed investigation on reddit where many other people are having the same issues.
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1xpir6/ubuntu_and_xorg_at_100_and_cgminer_n_hangs_6_cards/

I've got no issues with them, using ubuntu 13.10 and the last beta drivers. Haven't tried the ones released a few days ago, is there a changelog? Can you boot up with the one card plugged in and try the following

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot now

plug the rest of your cards in, should boot this time

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
sudo reboot now

after reset
export DISPLAY=:0
xhost +
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --odgt

That's what I go through whenever I change cards, add cards, etc. I've had some other systems hang up hard that needed this as well.
xdotcommer

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:03:54 PM

When XORG hangs I can still SSH into the box but I followed your steps for re initializing the card and no luck.

Xorg still at 100% and cgmine -n hangs.

http://imgur.com/TfuF3zy
RickJamesBTC

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:04:56 PM

Did it ever work?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: