Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:11:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So which alt coins seem legitimate/solid?  (Read 5439 times)
this1dude

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:51:15 AM

Most promising with a strong community behind it and active DEV is StableCoin IMO

Best PPLNS pools for Worldcoin & Earthcoin: https://wdc.bettercoin.org  & https://eac.bettercoin.org

LTC: LSitcdX2t8DzeHsaFKceUouSMonx1aJRE7

"Greetings computer, I'm here to fix your user problem!" --
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 6548

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:43:48 AM

Nxt - Do you like 100% premine? Is one person owning the entirety of a currency something that appeals to you? Also did they fix PoS or is it forced to be centralized along with being 100% premine? Nxt is the USD of cryptocurrencies.

Nxt is not "mined" so it cannot be "premined". It's a different concept of crypto currency, and the launch was pretty transparent. Time will tell if it succeeds or not, but it doesn't look like a scam. I have some "play Nxt" but am not really invested in it. What I don't like about Nxt that they haven't released the source code until now, we'll see if they do that on January 3.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
t3a

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:45:17 AM

Nxt - Do you like 100% premine? Is one person owning the entirety of a currency something that appeals to you? Also did they fix PoS or is it forced to be centralized along with being 100% premine? Nxt is the USD of cryptocurrencies.

Nxt is not "mined" so it cannot be "premined". It's a different concept of crypto currency, and the launch was pretty transparent. Time will tell if it succeeds or not, but it doesn't look like a scam. I have some "play Nxt" but am not really invested in it. What I don't like about Nxt that they haven't released the source code until now, we'll see if they do that on January 3.

It is 100% premined. That's why it isn't mined, because there aren't any more to be mined, only transaction fees to earn.

Advertise here for 10btc/day
Reece523

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:01:17 AM

OP: What is your definition of survive?

So long as Cryptsy is prepared to increase the number of decimal digits should the need arise, I would imagine there will be people out there who will be prepared to pay 0.0000000000001 BTC/LTC/altcoin for some new cryptocurrency well into the foreseeable future.

Whether we like it or not, the ROI on some of these altcoins puts bitcoin to shame. You'd have to hold bitcoin for months to make the kind of ROI many of these altcoins have made since mid-November. It's a lot easier for a coin worth one hundredth of a cent to increase tenfold then for bitcoin to go from a 12B to a 120B market cap.

If one is going to invest in altcoins, why not spread the risk around? Sure, you won't end up with the same kind of ROI you could have ended up with had you gone all-in in the right altcoin but the chances of timing that one perfectly are pretty slim. I think a healthy bitcoin balance is a great part of a balanced cryptocurrency investing strategy. Bitcoins are much less volatile plus having them handy allows one to capitalize on favourable situations that arise (e.g. some pool miner wholesaling his altcoins which can be immediately resold for a profit).
t3a

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:09:18 AM

I would imagine there will be people out there who will be prepared to pay 0.0000000000001 BTC/LTC/altcoin for some new cryptocurrency well into the foreseeable future.
Partially true except for one thing: Bitcoin can only be divided into 0.000000001 units (a satoshi).
Whether we like it or not, the ROI on some of these altcoins puts bitcoin to shame. You'd have to hold bitcoin for months to make the kind of ROI many of these altcoins have made since mid-November. It's a lot easier for a coin worth one hundredth of a cent to increase tenfold then for bitcoin to go from a 12B to a 120B market cap.
Many are pump and dumps.

If one is going to invest in altcoins, why not spread the risk around? Sure, you won't end up with the same kind of ROI you could have ended up with had you gone all-in in the right altcoin but the chances of timing that one perfectly are pretty slim.
Look in the sticky at all of the failed altcoins. Investing carelessly in dozens of altcoins will leave you with a majority (the pump and dumps) that fail, and a few that are still being pumped, and one or two that have actual improvements over Bitcoin and survive.

raspcoin

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:43:50 AM

Quark - Clone of Bitcoin with 6 different hashing algorithms. Leads fools into believing it is ASIC proof, but really it is just temporarily a botnet-miners friend.

ANC, MEC, BTB, GRC are some good ones.

ANC - Bitcoin already can connect through Tor. Coin Control is a good idea, but it isn't a protocol modification and doesn't require a new currency.
MEC - Probably made by an art student. All that it looks like was changed was the block rewards (doubled) and a flashy website was made for it.
BTB - PPC except "super rare" (in other words the creator has no idea how economics works)
GRC - LTC except centralized. You're better off donating your processing power to BOINC and mining LTC at the same time than supporting this centralized scamcoin.

Really? It's centralized? The only thing "centralized" about it is  that it has to get its research projects from a third-party source. Unless you can find someone who makes a coin that generates its own scientific research algorithms, good luck at finding a distributed computing research coin that isn't "centralized". No one is controlling the coin, all BOINC does is measure the reward you receive based on your contribution to BOINC.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is not Primecoin decentralized? Another cryptocoin to watch in this space is Curecoin, but I do not know much about it.

hypostatization

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:15:10 AM

Most promising with a strong community behind it and active DEV is StableCoin IMO

Agreed. It is incredible to see how far the coin has come in such a short span of time. International emphasis---beyond China---is a foundational element of its community vision. I have lost track of all the ongoing and completed translation work. Since November 27th the coin has risen roughly 100x in value (from .00035 to .0000035). Its market capitalization leaves major room for growth. At $1 USD per SBC, based on current supply, this coin would not yet even be among the top 10 market caps. I can easily see this becoming a $3 - 5 coin. Its dev certainly seems to be on track for making making that happen.

I would also not be surprised to see WorldCoin pass Namecoin before January. It almost seems certain. Having the dedicated USD to WDC exchange will be a major lift; the beta launches this month. I expect most of my USD deposit will pass through WDC before hitting alt markets; I hate waiting for slow BTC confirmations; soon, there shall no longer be need.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
waldocarter

Activity: 378

The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:19:34 AM

"IMO" as in your paid-for sock puppet opinion?
We already know you get paid to pump coins, we had enough evidence with your BSS story.

t3a

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:59:24 AM

Quark - Clone of Bitcoin with 6 different hashing algorithms. Leads fools into believing it is ASIC proof, but really it is just temporarily a botnet-miners friend.

ANC, MEC, BTB, GRC are some good ones.

ANC - Bitcoin already can connect through Tor. Coin Control is a good idea, but it isn't a protocol modification and doesn't require a new currency.
MEC - Probably made by an art student. All that it looks like was changed was the block rewards (doubled) and a flashy website was made for it.
BTB - PPC except "super rare" (in other words the creator has no idea how economics works)
GRC - LTC except centralized. You're better off donating your processing power to BOINC and mining LTC at the same time than supporting this centralized scamcoin.

Really? It's centralized? The only thing "centralized" about it is  that it has to get its research projects from a third-party source. Unless you can find someone who makes a coin that generates its own scientific research algorithms, good luck at finding a distributed computing research coin that isn't "centralized". No one is controlling the coin, all BOINC does is measure the reward you receive based on your contribution to BOINC.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is not Primecoin decentralized? Another cryptocoin to watch in this space is Curecoin, but I do not know much about it.

Primecoin is decentralized because you can do a proof of work without another entity vouching for you. There may be scientific applications for large primes, but I've never heard of any.

A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

Solid dev isn't a feature.

..Anything actually changing the currency? Or is it something that can be applied to any currency.

..Good feature, but creating a new currency isn't required for this...

LOL, sure some of these things could be implemented in BTC or LTC, but the haven't because their devs have not created it, whether by being complacent or unable to.  That's why a solid dev is a KEY feature.  They come up with the ideas and implement them into their coins.  BTC or LTC could then steal the idea but do you think they will be able to implement and maintain a feature as well as these guys that create it, I think not.
kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:14:24 PM

+1
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 10:15:28 PM

..Anything actually changing the currency? Or is it something that can be applied to any currency.

LOL, sure some of these things could be implemented in BTC or LTC, but the haven't because their devs have not created it, whether by being complacent or unable to.  That's why a solid dev is a KEY feature.  They come up with the ideas and implement them into their coins.  BTC or LTC could then steal the idea but do you think they will be able to implement and maintain a feature as well as these guys that create it, I think not.
Hilarious. Did you just call the bitcoin development team incompetent?

Your head is so far up kimoto's ass, how have you not died of suffocation yet?

raybtc

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:20:34 PM

Freicoin (FRC) is a viable option to BTC. I mined it for 2 months with 6.6GH from 20 usb miners. I ended up with .6 BTC in 2 months from trading it on cryptsy. IF I would have mined BTC I never would have come close to half that. FRC is a very good alternative coin to BTC.
cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:39:57 PM

If you are looking for a "different" coin take a look at Datacoin. It's a primecoin fork with just one modification, it adds a 128k data field to every transaction so you can store (small amounts of ) data into the blockchain, so far it's an interesting experiment since the coin itself have's a purpose, you pay fee's to store data into the blockchain. The possibilities/usages of this coin are endless and the killer app could be around the corner. Moreover it's one of the few coins that can peacefully coexist with BTC.
The coin is very new, but as I said, a very interesting experiment.
t3a

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 10:48:08 PM

If you are looking for a "different" coin take a look at Datacoin. It's a primecoin fork with just one modification, it adds a 128k data field to every transaction so you can store (small amounts of ) data into the blockchain, so far it's an interesting experiment since the coin itself have's a purpose, you pay fee's to store data into the blockchain. The possibilities/usages of this coin are endless and the killer app could be around the corner. Moreover it's one of the few coins that can peacefully coexist with BTC.

So after 8 million transactions it takes up a terrabyte? There must be something I'm missing because a DDoS attack or just a harddrive filling attack seems very feasible.

A L I E N
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:14:37 PM

LOL, don't put words in my mouth Stableboy.  Go back to you premined/centralized mixer scam.
t3a

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:22:22 PM

LOL, sure some of these things could be implemented in BTC or LTC, but the haven't because their devs have not created it, whether by being complacent or unable to.  That's why a solid dev is a KEY feature.  They come up with the ideas and implement them into their coins.  BTC or LTC could then steal the idea but do you think they will be able to implement and maintain a feature as well as these guys that create it, I think not.

LOL, don't put words in my mouth Stableboy.  Go back to you premined/centralized mixer scam.

See ad hominem.

A L I E N
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:34:14 PM

Nearly all of the comments of yours that I stumble upon in this forum are immature crap. Most of the times in connection with MEC. If that's Megacoin promotion, good night. Never really had a bad image of Megacoin until you came around with your low level attitude

Yeah, I know you're a big Stablecoin fan and I think its a scam.  No one can prove what the "mixer" does or does not do, can they?
A L I E N
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 11:35:53 PM

See ad hominem.

I agree, that's exactly what Hazard did..
cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:25:01 AM

So after 8 million transactions it takes up a terrabyte? There must be something I'm missing because a DDoS attack or just a harddrive filling attack seems very feasible.

The maximum capacity of the network is approximately 520 Gb per (coin) year, that's deterministic, you can't do a "hard drive filling" attack as you called it. The maximum capacity of a block is 1 Mb, if this attack worked then transaction spamming (which worked at some point for Bitcoin) would also work, but measures where taken to avoid this kind of attacks a while ago for Bitcoin.
DDoS attack against a P2P currency ? Good luck. And that also applies to any crypto, not to mention it doesn't make much sense for the attacker.
And BTW, I am not saying this cryptocurrency is invulnerable, just saying that it's a very interesting experiment, and that's what the OP was asking for AFAIK.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: