Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:10:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Miners for newbies  (Read 1905 times)
keeffy (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 02:47:07 PM

Hey guys, me and some friends are currently pooling a lot of $ to start accuring machines to start mining crypto currencies.
Researching everything is proving a real headache, one forum may say something is great, yet another site will say its a scam. We have already ordered a Neptune, but does anybody know anything about these Xtreme Miners, allegedly they will have 3 machines coming out in jan/feb? 2 of them look faster, cheaper, and use less power than the neptune, does anyone know what is the catch?
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
http://www.xtrememiners.net/#!products/cngp
any advice greatly appreciated.
franz2

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:10:46 PM

I'm afraid there is no best miner for newbies,

Better just buy bitcoins.
driver

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:18:18 PM

the " just buy bitcoins " reply seems to be just a way for miners to try and stop more people from getting in and making the difficulty rise faster .
 why do you not explain to all of us why " there is no best miner for newbies " Are all the miners out there only able to be plugged in to the wall by an experienced miner ? Is it like driving a truck over the road where you can not get a job doing unless you already have experience doing it ?
GBGglenn

Activity: 123

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:26:26 PM

http://bitcoindifficulty.com/

Take a look at that graph. That's the reason why i would also suggest you to buy instead of mine. Its simply to hard to get BTC with just mining if you don't got an amazing miningrig.
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:27:14 PM

xtrememiners.net - scam or not?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345612

Alvara80

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:43:18 PM

I recommend bitminter.com as an easy to use miner and pool to just jump into.

The reason not to mine and spend your money on btc's rather than mining hardware is straightforward. BTC price will in all likely hood only go up from here. With an occasional sell off dropping the price for a few days.
The reason to mine is a philosophical one if your not going to make much doing so. If a single entity gets more then 50% of the hashing power they effectively control the network. So you mining even a tiny bit helps keep that from not happening.

In my opinion. Everyone who owns and uses bitcoins, should have a miner running to support the network.
franz2

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:56:16 PM

In my opinion. Everyone who owns and uses bitcoins, should have a miner running to support the network.

In case you make mining by GPU it has almost no effect for the network. Just wasting of electricity...
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:00:22 PM

I have to agree, I running two USB block errupters not because these can pay off, but just to support the network a bit.

beatcoin007

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:02:12 PM

Not bad but also not good
lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:07:00 PM

The best thing for a newbe is to mine on new currencies.
With Bitcoin mining its impossible to make money at the moment, unless you have an uncle, which owns a hashing hardware company.

Litecoin mining is still available but will also be harder the next months, i guess. Maybe we have luck and there will be a nice BTC crash, so that LTC is falling as well. Then there will be maybe decreasing the difficulty there.
If that happens I expect LTC to raise again latest on the next BTC hype next year.

Best thing is, to buy yourself a nice computer with nice GPU(s) like R9 290x and mine currencies like NVC, PPC or YAC.
Septimus

Activity: 51

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:19:10 PM

I think people say to just stick with trading because there is a lot more to mining than there is to trading. In trading, you simply have to keep an eye on the market fluctuations, buying low and selling high. With mining, you have to keep an eye on the market and also speculate difficulty levels, estimate ROI, set up/maintain hardware, and hope the market stays in your favor for trading later on. You're a full time maintenance tech and stock trader once you purchase a rig or two.

Keep this in mind when deciding how quickly you can make the most money in this game.
bitbox

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:24:06 PM

Agree with you. One can mine some alt-cryptos with low-end CPU, while even using latest GPU for BTC mining can be just a waste of electricity due to BTC difficulty.
jones31

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:32:09 PM

the " just buy bitcoins " reply seems to be just a way for miners to try and stop more people from getting in and making the difficulty rise faster .
 why do you not explain to all of us why " there is no best miner for newbies " Are all the miners out there only able to be plugged in to the wall by an experienced miner ? Is it like driving a truck over the road where you can not get a job doing unless you already have experience doing it ?

When getting a miner you must be lucky , and i mean lucky for thr company not to:
-run away with the money , deliver after 6 months , deliver something that doesn't match the initial specs.
With bitcoins , you must just hope that the price won't go down. In which case , you're gonna be at a lose even if you own a miner.

So it's safer to go with bitcoins , looking on the profile of the current mining hardware manufacturers.
jones31

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:34:11 PM

Agree with you. One can mine some alt-cryptos with low-end CPU, while even using latest GPU for BTC mining can be just a waste of electricity due to BTC difficulty.

And with this , when all people go and mine that coin , the difficulty will rise and you're in the same predicament once more.
Then people will flock to another alt coin , leaving that coin unprotected , and....
Don't forget the cheapest miner on the market is now a botnet.
jamesstill

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:04:11 PM

I agree that a lot of newbies will be best off mining altcoins.   I've been mining quarkcoin with a 6 year old cpu and getting about 8 per day.  Not a lot, but still.   Also, mining worldcoin with my gpu.   Selling about half of what I mine for BTC and holding the rest.   Some alternate cryptocurrencies have seen gains much bigger than bitcoin.
smith7800

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:19:44 PM

You should mine some WTF coins.  Grin

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/  Free Distribution!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:41:04 PM

In most cases, newbies pay more for mining equipment than the equipment will ever mine. Most newbies buy equipment and start mining without even determining if they are going to make a profit. I have yet to see a newbie miner actually do the math and then ask an experienced miner to verify it.

The appropriate answer to the question, "should I mine bitcoins?" is no. If you post this question in a forum, then you don't have the knowledge or ability to mine profitably.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
cunixion

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 02:49:38 AM

The Neptune looks good at 12k USD now, the only thing is delivery in 4 to 8 months is too long, many things will happen in that time, such as: latest asic chips becoming more energy efficient, current mine technology becoming more mature and less expensive, new makers with good products, known  makers not being able to deliver.

With difficulty going up the hosting costs could become a problem, KNC charges 350 USD per month for the Jupiter, the fact that they haven't published energy consumption for the Neptune makes more probable it'll cost more to host it.
antgrinder

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:18:01 AM

get whatever is in your budget and do some research on what is more profitable to mine with the hardware you get
srilhblsfjhnlsfk

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:16:59 AM

I'd double check that good driver exist if you want a GPU. Some of the OpenCL stuff is a pain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: