Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:35:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Bitcoin's next catalyst for growth ?  (Read 3912 times)
Mjbmonetarymetals (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:47:44 PM

Well go on then in one line what's next on the horizon that will take Bitcoin over the $3000 mark.

Integration into PayPal, EBay, western union or positive regulation somewhere in the world or just plain old adoption in general. It'll just be interesting what comes to mind try and do so before reading everyone else's ideas then it's everyones individual golden-brainfart.

This is mine ok it's a long shot -

Switzerland switching its currency from the Swiss franc to Bitcoin  Grin

Bitrated user: Mick.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SlyFoxy12

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:02:49 PM

I think it'll be the integration of more bitcoin merchants, not even big ones just a much wider adoption, I don't think we'll see any major announcements for at least the next year sadly.
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:04:39 PM

I think it will be a very easy to use wallet that is phone based, and a lot of merchants accepting it for payment.  Ease of use is fundamental.

TheJacob

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:13:30 PM

What was its last catalyst for "growth"?

Mostly just rampant speculation. Hopefully someone will find/create a use for bitcoins that doesn't exist yet. I don't think a widespread adoption of bitcoin by merchants is very likely to happen anytime soon.

Exchanges that aren't awful would probably help.
Mjbmonetarymetals (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:26:41 PM

What was its last catalyst for "growth"?

Mostly just rampant speculation. Hopefully someone will find/create a use for bitcoins that doesn't exist yet. I don't think a widespread adoption of bitcoin by merchants is very likely to happen anytime soon.

Exchanges that aren't awful would probably help.

Well china is/was the last catalyst for growth from $200, I would call this adoption rather than speculation alone, there's still enormous scope for growth yet across the globe

As Bitcoin increases in value more and more online retailers will naturally want to tap into this group of Bitcoin holders ... Speaking of which -  shameless plug "imore" now accepts Bitcoin supporting such as these will help speed up Bitcoin adoption.

http://www.imore.com/imore-store-now-accepting-bitcoin

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:55:35 PM

the next mayor catalyst for growth will probably be a large supermarket chain accepting bitcoins

TheJacob

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:08:23 PM

Well china is/was the last catalyst for growth from $200, I would call this adoption rather than speculation alone, there's still enormous scope for growth yet across the globe

How much of that growth in china is due to actual usage though? I know there are some uses in china, but most of the volume in china is investment/speculation is it not?

XBBlade

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:07:29 PM

Haha Switzerland won't do that ever. Their financial position in their country is amazing. I mean salary compared to other european countries!! Insane.

But I think implementing it in amazon would be great for Bitcoin!
Mjbmonetarymetals (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:34:22 PM

How much of that growth in china is due to actual usage though? I know there are some uses in china, but most of the volume in china is investment/speculation is it not?

Even the way they are regulating it as commodity rather than currency in china a "saving culture" gives a nod to its potential as a store of value rather than simply a payment vehicle.

I say its spans all 3 nicely currency, commodity and payment system hence the approach of holding a good portion while spending some in Bitcoin accepting stores means Bitcoin's purchasing power will continue to rise over time.

Mylon

Activity: 140

Mining FTW

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:42:33 PM

Yea this is a long shot...

However I believe the next one is this if it works out: http://www.coindesk.com/swiss-lawmakers-bitcoin-foreign-currency/

So yea, we can go up to 3k on the Chinese rally thats still going on, and then the Swiss will take us to 10k Smiley

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:56:23 AM

Well go on then in one line what's next on the horizon that will take Bitcoin over the $3000 mark.

Integration into PayPal, EBay, western union or positive regulation somewhere in the world or just plain old adoption in general. It'll just be interesting what comes to mind try and do so before reading everyone else's ideas then it's everyones individual golden-brainfart.

That's a very long shot. Like a sniper hitting from 100 miles away Smiley

But a good question .....

1) More countries defining the legality of bitcoin
2) Many more bitcoin ATM machines around the globe (look how successful the first one wass)
3) Better wallets (hardware)
4) Less websites stealing peoples bitcoins (people need to learn not to store their bitcoins on websites run by god knows who)
5) Organic growth
6) Various financial crises in 2014
7) New potential uses for bitcoin actually getting implemented
Cool Integration by a big payment provider
9) Education of the "masses" about the benefits of bitcoin
10) Can't think of a 10th off hand Smiley
qwerty555

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:14:56 AM

If we are talking about rapid growth apart from what has already been stated

- any top 3 major social network site and/or payment site like FB or Paypal accepting bitcoin will spur demand and use dramatically.

I would expect that is a when not if scenario.

niniyo

Activity: 118

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:56:40 AM

- Widely available, easy to use, highly secure hardware wallets (after a few generations of trezor etc).
- ATMs deployed worldwide
- Clearer policy on Bitcoin from governments (which seems to be developing at a rapid pace).
- Continued merchant adoption so that BTC-to-fiat becomes less of an appealing exit strategy for bitcoin holders
- Increased transactions-per-second on the blockchain and some confidence that we will maintain low tx fees in the short/medium term
- Further endorsement by pop culture (starting to happen with Simpsons, Snoop Dogg, Mel B)
- Time: bitcoin is just so young.. you can count the number of days it has been over $1000.  It needs to spend some serious time at these valuations to help build confidence in its value.
- Exchanges: These need to keep getting better, and need to appear in more regions.  Something like Buttercoin would be nice..

The ultimate catalyst, if it happens, will be hyperinflation and the collapse of paper money.  But, bitcoin needs to first be ready for it first.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:00:55 AM

Reduction of barriers to entry. More atms. Brick and mortars in every town selling bitcoin.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:16:47 AM

lowering of transaction fees

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:31:21 AM

If we are talking about rapid growth apart from what has already been stated

- any top 3 major social network site and/or payment site like FB or Paypal accepting bitcoin will spur demand and use dramatically.

I would expect that is a when not if scenario.

I don't believe FB or PayPal will integrate bitcoin unless they have absolutely no financial choice. They will attempt to destroy it first. Only if that fails will they "partner up". Expect a long fight, certainly not going to happen in 2014
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:44:45 AM

the next mayor catalyst for growth will probably be a large supermarket chain accepting bitcoins

+1

something like walmart, tesco. or 711 where you can get items for general living/lifestyle, thats when bitcoin will become an everyday use currency

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:49:21 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2013, 09:13:33 AM by railzand

poor figures reported by western union

Scotland adopts bitcoin

greenlion

Activity: 667

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:53:32 AM

Argentina is the next big adoption scenario, because right now there is a huge demand for capital flight.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:07:54 AM

I agree about the supermarket chain, or 7-11. I'm sure as bitcoin goes more mainstream in 2014 one supermarket chain will give it a go, they are all desperate to give people a reason to shop at their place instead of Tesco or Walmart.

What about charities? People really trust (some) charities. It would be great if the biggest ones would start accepting bitcoin donations. I can't do my Xmas shopping with bitcoins, but I would certainly like to donate some coinage at christmas to a worthy cause.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: