Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:48:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Stephen Reed's Million Dollar Logistic Model  (Read 123171 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jyakulis

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:04:07 AM

Looks like a dogecoin analysis with real maths and stuff.

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
SlipperySlope (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:13:10 AM

My hypothesis is weakened a bit with this chart which shows transaction quantity relatively surpassing market cap in the summer of 2012, without a major new bubble.

That was Satoshi Dice running it's network transaction quantity "stress test" I think you'll find ...

I see now. For this reason and to filter out other non-economic transactions, Blockchain excludes the 100 most popular addresses when calculating the data series that I follow.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:23:35 AM

My hypothesis is weakened a bit with this chart which shows transaction quantity relatively surpassing market cap in the summer of 2012, without a major new bubble.

That was Satoshi Dice running it's network transaction quantity "stress test" I think you'll find ...

I see now. For this reason and to filter out other non-economic transactions, Blockchain excludes the 100 most popular addresses when calculating the data series that I follow.

yeah, that was the TXS data series I used ... didn't satoshi dice generate random addresses on demand?

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:49:38 PM

yeah, that was the TXS data series I used ... didn't satoshi dice generate random addresses on demand?

No they had a set of vanity addresses depicted the wager one wanted to take.
cuddaloreappu

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:08:07 PM

With this article claiming bitcoin transaction is increasing day by day but the price dropping every day, can we come to conclusion that metcalfe law does not have any relation with bitcoin price?

http://www.cio.com.au/article/556378/mobile-payments-grow-60-8-by-2015-capgemini/
SlipperySlope (OP)

Stephen Reed

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:00:21 PM

With this article claiming bitcoin transaction is increasing day by day but the price dropping every day, can we come to conclusion that metcalfe law does not have any relation with bitcoin price?

http://www.cio.com.au/article/556378/mobile-payments-grow-60-8-by-2015-capgemini/

I would accept that this observation weakens the Metcalfe Law hypothesis with regard to Bitcoin network effects. But as Peter_R has shown in his charts, there is considerable variability in the data series, although over time the correlation is significant.

I continue to wait for the 7-day smoothed number of transactions excluding the 100 most popular addresses to exceed 80000. That would be an all-time-high. And if bitcoin price is still depressed then that would be stronger evidence against the hypothesis.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:16:22 PM

Here's an observation, not sure if it is new to you or not...

(by the way, as I said before, your work is much appreciated Stephen. I've been critical about aspects of it before, and this comment won't be different,
but I think there's a good reason for someone to take the 'devil's advocate' role once in a while)

The observation is that, if we ignore the "spikes" into a higher range of transactions, one could argue there is an overall slowing down of adoption (as measure by transaction). The Metcalfe's law based price models wouldn't necessarily pick this up initially, because transactions *are* still rising, but it is (at least to me) conceivable that rate of growth is behind earlier expectations, and this reflects in the current price stagnation (as in: the markets pick up slower than expected adoption than the models do).

Here's the slow-down I have in mind, if viewed from the following point of view: Let's look at "transaction eras" only in terms of powers of 10, and only after the no. of transactions doesn't fall back into the previous order of magnitude.

Arbitrary definition? Maybe. Anyway, here's the transaction graph if parsed like that:

Any opinions on this?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
SlipperySlope (OP)

Stephen Reed

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:50:43 PM

The observation is that, if we ignore the "spikes" into a higher range of transactions, one could argue there is an overall slowing down of adoption (as measure by transaction). The Metcalfe's law based price models wouldn't necessarily pick this up initially, because transactions *are* still rising, but it is (at least to me) conceivable that rate of growth is behind earlier expectations, and this reflects in the current price stagnation (as in: the markets pick up slower than expected adoption than the models do).

Here's the slow-down I have in mind, if viewed from the following point of view: Let's look at "transaction eras" only in terms of powers of 10, and only after the no. of transactions doesn't fall back into the previous order of magnitude.

Any opinions on this?

As stated in the original post, my high price of $1 million is simply a guess. I could get a better fit on the logistic model with the data series to-date by assuming a high price of $2500. But that implies that we are near or have passed the adoption midpoint - which is hard to believe.

Alternatively, I am intrigued by the suggestion that the logistic model is a better fit to market capitalization data than to price data, because market cap takes into account the supply of bitcoin that meets the demand of the marginal new adopter.

I shall prepare another model using bitcoin market cap, but I would very much like to wait until the new year or a bubble, whichever occurs first because bubble peaks are easy to recognize and bottoms much more difficult. The right hand side of the model graph is hand fit to balance the central tendency and it is not clear yet where that region is for the bubble that peaked in November 2013.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:35:01 PM

Any opinions on this?

As stated in the original post, my high price of $1 million is simply a guess. I could get a better fit on the logistic model with the data series to-date by assuming a high price of $2500. But that implies that we are near or have passed the adoption midpoint - which is hard to believe.

Alternatively, I am intrigued by the suggestion that the logistic model is a better fit to market capitalization data than to price data, because market cap takes into account the supply of bitcoin that meets the demand of the marginal new adopter.

I shall prepare another model using bitcoin market cap, but I would very much like to wait until the new year or a bubble, whichever occurs first because bubble peaks are easy to recognize and bottoms much more difficult. The right hand side of the model graph is hand fit to balance the central tendency and it is not clear yet where that region is for the bubble that peaked in November 2013.

Good points. Would like to see the market cap model very much.

The point of my post (and graph) above was a slightly different one, though. Aimed more at Peter R.'s models, now that I think of it (since he is the one who uses 'no of tx' as a proxy for adoption in a Metcalfe based model).

What I had in mind is: if Bitcoin adoption is, against earlier optimistic assumptions, neither accurately captured by your logistic model nor by a constant exponent exponential growth model based on a constant rate of growth, then all the current models could be missing something that the market / price discovery (perhaps) is picking up already: adoption continues, but the growth rate of adoption declines over time.

Your model would "miss" it because the growth function is hardcoded into it (the S-shape), Peter R.'s model would "miss" it, for a while at least, because the coefficient that relates price/mcap and adoption proxy is a global value, and will take time to adjust to a lower value.

Do you see the point I'm (clumsily) trying to make here?

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
SlipperySlope (OP)

Stephen Reed

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:47:14 PM

The point of my post (and graph) above was a slightly different one, though. Aimed more at Peter R.'s models, now that I think of it (since he is the one who uses 'no of tx' as a proxy for adoption in a Metcalfe based model).

What I had in mind is: if Bitcoin adoption is, against earlier optimistic assumptions, neither accurately captured by your logistic model nor by a constant exponent exponential growth model based on a constant rate of growth, then all the current models could be missing something that the market / price discovery (perhaps) is picking up already: adoption continues, but the growth rate of adoption declines over time.

Your model would "miss" it because the growth function is hardcoded into it (the S-shape), Peter R.'s model would "miss" it, for a while at least, because the coefficient that relates price/mcap and adoption proxy is a global value, and will take time to adjust to a lower value.

Yes, and thank you for the helpful clarification.

Mathematically, the logistic model has the property of decreasing exponential growth, which is most obvious on a log graph as we near full adoption. It is only a falsifiable hypothesis that a logistic model can explain bitcoin prices. My reason for choosing this model was to fit the obvious constraint that exponential price growth must eventually end. Perhaps we are at that point now, but I believe not based upon the steady improvement in Bitcoin transactional infrastructure. http://www.bitcoinpulse.com/

There is at least one mathematical theory of price bubbles that could be used to elaborate this logistic model, but I hesitate to combine them for fear of unsound overfitting given the additional number of parameters whose values must be set. The bitcoin logistic model has only two parameters: the maximum price and the full adoption duration.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:39:25 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 10:55:18 PM by oda.krell

Yes, and thank you for the helpful clarification.

Mathematically, the logistic model has the property of decreasing exponential growth, which is most obvious on a log graph as we near full adoption. It is only a falsifiable hypothesis that a logistic model can explain bitcoin prices. My reason for choosing this model was to fit the obvious constraint that exponential price growth must eventually end. Perhaps we are at that point now, but I believe not based upon the steady improvement in Bitcoin transactional infrastructure. http://www.bitcoinpulse.com/

There is at least one mathematical theory of price bubbles that could be used to elaborate this logistic model, but I hesitate to combine them for fear of unsound overfitting given the additional number of parameters whose values must be set. The bitcoin logistic model has only two parameters: the maximum price and the full adoption duration.

Alright, playing around with my idea some more...

Extrapolating from the interpretation of the graph I posted above, we get something like: the first factor 10 increase takes 12 months, the second 18, the third 24 months, etc.

In other words, to apply n times the factor g increase of the starting value, we require n-th triangle number time steps.

Which leads to the formula:

f(0.5*(t^2+t)) = s*g^t

or equivalently:

f(t)=s*g^(0.5*(sqrt(8t+1)-1))

where s is the starting value and g the growth factor.

Now, where that one[1] falls in terms of functional growth, I'm not sure. Doesn't seem to fit the definition of exponential growth anymore, but doesn't just grow linearly either... At first I thought it would be another example of bounded growth (similar to your logistic function then), but plotting it, it very much looks like it is still exponentially growing (just as a slightly compressed looking curve, compared to "regular" exponential growth) ...

[1] O(c^sqrt(n))

Minor Miner
Legendary

Merit: 1013

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:46:47 PM

Wouldn't the number of transactions increase with difficulty (and network hashrate) just because people have to mine at pools and the pools are paying thousands of small miners with every block instead of hundreds?

SlipperySlope (OP)

Stephen Reed

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:09:27 AM

Wouldn't the number of transactions increase with difficulty (and network hashrate) just because people have to mine at pools and the pools are paying thousands of small miners with every block instead of hundreds?

I consider mining transactions to be economic, but of lesser importance than using bitcoin for purchases or earned income. I suppose that network difficulty is arguably unrelated to transaction volume, and that the correlation you observe is merely a coincidence. I could argue that vertically integrated industrial mining leads to fewer miners and thus fewer transactions required to pay them.

I suffered through a steep increase in mining difficulty the week in June-July 2010 when I first downloaded bitcoin and began CPU mining on my then-awesome quad core AMD server. Within a few hours I solved my first block, but the next one took a week and that was it for solo CPU mining. I learned of Bitcoin from the widely read Slashdot blog article, and that same article was also read by many system administrators who proceeded to install the software on the hundreds and thousands of computers that they managed. According to the Blockchain.info data series, the number of daily transactions back then was about 200-300 and did not match the sudden difficulty increase from 24 to 182 - a factor of 7.5x.

I will be speaking on a panel presentation on the subject of mining algorithms at the Hasher' United Conference in Las Vegas this month. I wonder what mining equipment vendors' answer will be to the question of the relative proportion of small miners vs large miners over time.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:15:23 AM

I consider mining transactions to be economic, but of lesser importance than using bitcoin for purchases or earned income. I suppose that network difficulty is arguably unrelated to transaction volume, and that the correlation you observe is merely a coincidence. I could argue that vertically integrated industrial mining leads to fewer miners and thus fewer transactions required to pay them.

I suffered through a steep increase in mining difficulty the week in June-July 2010 when I first downloaded bitcoin and began CPU mining on my quad core AMD server. Within a few hours I solved my first block, but the next one took a week and that was it for solo CPU mining. I learned of Bitcoin from the widely read Slashdot blog article, and that same article was also read by many system administrators who proceeded to install the software on the hundreds and thousands of computers that they managed. According to the Blockchain.info data series, the number of daily transactions back then was about 200-300 and did not match the sudden difficulty increase from 24 to 182 - a factor of 7.5x.

I am not suggesting it accounts for all transactions nor all of the transaction growth but If there are 100,000 miners (small miners), all mining to pools, that is a lot of transactions each day (just the pool sending the fractions to workers).  I would love to see someone be able to pull out all the sends that are just paying people their rewards and see what the amount of real transactions are.   Above someone was saying that the dice transactions were removed from their data, so it is likely not a herculean task to subtract out all the pool payouts too (or maybe the number is small and does not matter to the overall growth).   

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:51:04 AM

I suffered through a steep increase in mining difficulty the week in June-July 2010 when I first downloaded bitcoin and began CPU mining on my quad core AMD server. Within a few hours I solved my first block, but the next one took a week and that was it for solo CPU mining. I learned of Bitcoin from the widely read Slashdot blog article, and that same article was also read by many system administrators who proceeded to install the software on the hundreds and thousands of computers that they managed. According to the Blockchain.info data series, the number of daily transactions back then was about 200-300 and did not match the sudden difficulty increase from 24 to 182 - a factor of 7.5x.

I am not suggesting it accounts for all transactions nor all of the transaction growth but If there are 100,000 miners (small miners), all mining to pools, that is a lot of transactions each day (just the pool sending the fractions to workers).  I would love to see someone be able to pull out all the sends that are just paying people their rewards and see what the amount of real transactions are.   Above someone was saying that the dice transactions were removed from their data, so it is likely not a herculean task to subtract out all the pool payouts too (or maybe the number is small and does not matter to the overall growth).   

It would also be interesting to see, given the theory that everything is consolidating into massive mining farms. Payouts from mining pools to different addresses may decline with the trend toward mining centralization.
SlipperySlope (OP)

Stephen Reed

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:32:46 AM

Above someone was saying that the dice transactions were removed from their data, so it is likely not a herculean task to subtract out all the pool payouts too (or maybe the number is small and does not matter to the overall growth).  

When Satoshi Dice used dust transactions to indicate wager results, Blockchain.info developed the simple algorithm of discarding transactions that involved any of the 100 most popular addresses each day - Satoshi Dice of course being high on that list.

https://blockchain.info/popular-addresses

When I was mining for BTCGuild on my GPU rigs a couple of years ago, I suppose that the origin pool payer address was the same for each miner. It might be harder today if the pools are using unique payer addresses to enhance anonymity.  Looking over my daily payout last spring from LeaseRig.net, I do not see any address reuse.

Any miners on this thread know if their daily pool payouts originate from the same address from day to day?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:59:03 AM

Extrapolating from the interpretation of the graph I posted above, we get something like: the first factor 10 increase takes 12 months, the second 18, the third 24 months, etc.
Why are coinbase transactions included? In the first year many of the coins have not moved but the transaction speed is around 100.

Further, you can exclude first time coinbase output transactions (pool payouts) as a part of the base system and not part of the peer transactions.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:22:17 AM

Above someone was saying that the dice transactions were removed from their data, so it is likely not a herculean task to subtract out all the pool payouts too (or maybe the number is small and does not matter to the overall growth).  

When Satoshi Dice used dust transactions to indicate wager results, Blockchain.info developed the simple algorithm of discarding transactions that involved any of the 100 most popular addresses each day - Satoshi Dice of course being high on that list.

https://blockchain.info/popular-addresses

When I was mining for BTCGuild on my GPU rigs a couple of years ago, I suppose that the origin pool payer address was the same for each miner. It might be harder today if the pools are using unique payer addresses to enhance anonymity.  Looking over my daily payout last spring from LeaseRig.net, I do not see any address reuse.

Any miners on this thread know if their daily pool payouts originate from the same address from day to day?
it seems to be a different address each payment. 

cuddaloreappu

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:40:25 PM

When I read into metcalfe law it states

"Metcalfe's law states that the value of a telecommunications network is proportional to the square of the number of connected users of the system"

You were modelling with number of transaction previously , and have decided now to model with the market cap since you say
 "market cap takes into account the supply of bitcoin that meets the demand of the marginal new adopter".

Buy my basic question here is if every new user who is running a wallet represent the nodes in the network, then is not the number of users a better variable to run the model than no.of transactions or market cap? and this model fits with metcalfe law better than no.of transactions or market cap right!

It would be really difficult to accurately predict the number of users across globe using bitcoin but am I right in what I say?

So why not have a model like this?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:50:11 PM

Buy my basic question here is if every new user who is running a wallet represent the nodes in the network, then is not the number of users a better variable to run the model than no.of transactions or market cap? and this model fits with metcalfe law better than no.of transactions or market cap right!

It would be really difficult to accurately predict the number of users across globe using bitcoin but am I right in what I say?

So why not have a model like this?
Because it's false. New users don't install the full wallet and don't keep relay nodes online. There are not 2 million blockchain wallets out there for nothing. New users use Coinbase, Circle, exchanges, cold storage, mobile wallets, etc. None of these are network nodes.

My question remains. Why are coinbase transactions included? Why are first-moved-coins pool-payouts transactions included? These are not actual usage, they are the results of coin issuing.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: