Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:21:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction from Summer 2010  (Read 1381 times)
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 07:29:31 PM

Does anyone have a email address for smoketoomuch, he helped me setup my computer, you can pm it to me. I can see them, but I cannot respond to them yet. Newbe account. Can't remember the name I used on here in 2010.

Okay, now I am here.
I do not remember setting anything up for you or helping you with anything. When did that supposedly happen?

Also, I am still unsure of what exactly you are trying to achieve. You do not have a wallet, an address, a transaction ID or anything else that is narrowing down what you are trying to find. Is this correct?

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Oldnewbie (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 09:47:20 PM

Okay, now I am here.
I do not remember setting anything up for you or helping you with anything.

Remember yet, you spent 2-3 hours on the phone with me.  Need to know more about the wallet encryption.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 12:04:00 PM

I did not talk to you on the phone for several hours, and this I know for a fact. You've been accusing me of maybe not being the real SmokeTooMuch in PMs, but I think you are just confusing me with someone else.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Oldnewbie (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2018, 04:12:49 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2018, 04:59:30 AM by Oldnewbie

I did not talk to you on the phone for several hours, and this I know for a fact. You've been accusing me of maybe not being the real SmokeTooMuch in PMs, but I think you are just confusing me with someone else.
I think there was only one smoketoomuch that tried to auction 10000 bitcoins, when that failed, you set up a waffle also, I sent you money and you had me use a service that I had to verify my identity to send money, I think you had to use your real identity also, because there was a real name on the bank statement. You didn't send the full 10000 bitcoins when you said I won, but you sent the amount of coins, that you were saying they were worth then. Who ever was smoketoomuch called me on Skype and helped me setup the computer it was really slow, funny part is the coins are still there.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:37:27 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

I think there was only one smoketoomuch that tried to auction 10000 bitcoins
Yep, that's me.

when that failed, you set up a waffle also
I did not.

I sent you money
Since I didn't set a up a raffle or anything like it, you did not sent me money, at least not for a raffle ticket.

I think you had to use your real identity also, because there was a real name on the bank statement.
I did some over-the-counter trades back then, so if we actually traded (not that raffle ticket nonsense) this might actually be possible.

You didn't send the full 10000 bitcoins when you said I won
I certainly didn't.

but you sent the amount of coins, that you were saying they were worth then.
The only incident of this happining was the BitDNS/NameCoin Bounty, where I pledged to donate 1000 BTC initially, but actually ended up donating only 292 BTC (which back then was roughly around 6000 EUR). It wasn't a very nice thing to do back then, but I apologized and from the few guys that actually pulled through with their pledge, I was one of the biggest donators. Vinced actually promised to share around 30% of the donations with the rest of the BitDNS team, but last I checked they were still in his addresses.
This whole thing is actually something I wanted to talk about for a long time, but it seems off-topic, so I will probably not do this here.
Link to the BitDNS bounty thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2072.0

Who ever was smoketoomuch called me on Skype and helped me setup the computer it was really slow, funny part is the coins are still there.
I know I can't prove this, but this account still has the same ownership as when it was registered in 2009. And I do not remember calling anyone on Skype for such a thing (especially because my English skills back then weren't exactly in a great shape).

I'm still not sure what it is that you are trying to achieve, but either you are some kind of scammer, or one of our memories is failing us. I'm a friendly person, so I assume the latter.
If there's still anything I can help you with please let me know.

Oldnewbie (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 04:04:59 AM

I know I can't prove this, but this account still has the same ownership as when it was registered in 2009. And I do not remember calling anyone on Skype for such a thing (especially because my English skills back then weren't exactly in a great shape).

I'm still not sure what it is that you are trying to achieve, but either you are some kind of scammer, or one of our memories is failing us. I'm a friendly person, so I assume the latter.
If there's still anything I can help you with please let me know.

I don't think we need to get into a pissing contest over how I got the coins from you. ( I don't think it is necessary to put out private information just to prove a point).
I don't understand how I could be trying to scam you for anything. All I need from you is to look at your wallet from that time period and tell me how to decrypt my encrypted key, since there were changes that was made to the encrypted wallet before it was released. And there are network changes since then . If you look at your transactions from back then, you might remember.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 01:22:43 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2018, 01:03:21 AM by SmokeTooMuch
Merited by LoyceV (3), vapourminer (1), HCP (1), xtraelv (1)

I don't think we need to get into a pissing contest over how I got the coins from you.
If you want help from me about events that didn't happen, there's clearly a need to get the information straight.

I don't understand how I could be trying to scam you for anything.
You seem to constantly shift your goal posts. You either have no real clue what you are looking for (or at least fail to express that clearly) or you are trying portray yourself as a victim in hope someone will refund your coins (scammer tactic).
I personally want to beleive you just don't know what you are doing and I want to help you with that by clarifying some things.

All I need from you is to look at your wallet from that time period and tell me how to decrypt my encrypted key, since there were changes that was made to the encrypted wallet before it was released. And there are network changes since then . If you look at your transactions from back then, you might remember.
You don't even remember your old username or anything that would lead me to be able to identfy a transaction as sent to you. Give me precise information and I might dig up my old wallets and look them through.

Information I was able to gather so far:
Taken from here:
  • You used a Linux live environment. When the timeframe (Summer 2010) is correct, your wallet had to be an old version Bitcoin Core (former Bitcoin QT). Electrum and Armory were the first alternative wallets I remember, and both of them did not show up before 2012.
  • You tried mounting the filesystem of the hard drive in question, but did not post the error message.
  • You did not post your results of "sudo fdisk -l" on the drive in question.
  • You claimed you were able to find wallet file signatures by searching for hex values of wallet types that such an old Bitcoin QT client just could not have used, but did not explain how you were doing this.
  • You claimed you entered a 12 word seed to generate the wallet, but again, back then this BIP wasn't even proposed, let alone implemented (Bitcoin QT did not have hierarchical deterministic wallets back then). You did not mention whether you still have that seed somewhere.
  • You said "the drive doesn't have a partition that is bootable. It looks to me like a antivirus program might have gotten a hold of it and encrypted it" which is just all around bullshit (source). You don't need to boot it. Usually there's no AV involved in Linux systems and even when they don't mess up your bootloader or whatever. It's hard to comprehend how this sentence can even come from a Bitcoin user, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt, since you might just not be that tech savvy.

Taken from here:
  • You are asking for the encryption type of Bitcoin QT 0.2.0 wallets. Bitcoin QT didn't have encryption until 0.4.0, though. That doesn't prevent you from claiming you know the passphrase.
  • You're claiming that it did have encryption of a single private key, but not the whole wallet, which just was never implemented anywhere. One could still give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just not technically educated enough to know the details of wallet encryption.

Regarding this:

Regarding this:
  • Now you're saying your wallet didn't have the keypool feature implemented yet, which was implemented way before the seed feature you were talking about using before.
  • If it wasn't a hierarchical deterministic wallet (= seed), you either had the private keys of your "lost" coins in them or not, there's no way to generate new keys in a deterministic way, that's why your phrase "The wallet that I used was before they done the 100 keys, that's why I would like to make more in case change is sent to them" doesn't make sense to me. maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

You then want to acquire copies of blockchain files here and here which doesn't help your problem at all. Either the network agrees that a transaction has happened and it is included in the blockchain (and therefore observable via a wallet or blockchain explorer) or it agrees that it didn't happen (e.g. orphaned block and tx never re-included in block (which is highly unlikely)) and in this case you just plain and simple never received the coins and your whole effort to regain them is futile.

Now to the thread we are currently in:

Can anyone explain what would happen if I created a wallet in 2010 and someone sent coins to the wallet address, gave me a tx number that I stuck in and hit receive, shut the wallet down and left Bitcoin demon running ( It probably didn't sync with the network) and went to work. When I got home the power had been off and the computer was off, I never had it back online since then.  I looked on the block chain at old addresses and don't see that amount around the time it happened.
Ignoring that the workflow you described is false (you don't enter TX IDs and you don't need to hit receive to receive coins, just to generate an invoice), if someone sent Bitcoins to an address that corresponds to a private key which is contained in that wallet, opening this wallet will give you access to the coins, no matter if your client has been online or offline. If you can't see that transaction on a fully synced client or via an block explorer for the Bitcoin network, you are not able to use these coins as they do not exist. This is what the others have been trying to tell you.

No, not trolling LoyceV. I haven't found my wallet yet, I bought coins from someone and would like to know how things worked back then so I can try and find them on the drives. I have reasons why I couldn't get to the drives I have. But I read different things on here about how it worked back then. I didn't post everything together because they are different things that I'm trying to find out about. Would a transaction be still in there address on the block chain until I sync my wallet.
Here you are claiming you haven't found your wallet yet. If this is true, all the statements regarding the decryption via pywallet have to be false. Please make up your mind.

A few questions for you:
  • What is your mother language? I feel like it isn't English and maybe some information is lost by translation. If it is German we might be able to remove translation errors from the conversation. If not, maybe someone else is able to talk to you in your native tonge.
  • Someone already brought up the X-Y-problem. Could you please clarify what you are actually trying to achieve in one or two sentences? I've read your whole post history and you are constantly switching between the things you want from the community.
  • Have you found your wallet.dat file?
  • What is it you remember about the "password"? Was it actually a seed (12 word phrase) or an unlock key for an ecrypted wallet?

Please stop posting confilcting information and try to form explicit sentences that arent subject to (mis-)interpretation.

EDIT: Be aware, after some further PM correspondence, it's seeming more and more likely Oldnewbie is trying to scam someone. I'm not 100% sure yet, but the things he claimed did never happen (and cannot have happened, encryption and wallet seeds were not around during that time).

Oldnewbie (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2018, 10:25:20 PM

No wallet seeds, what I thought were wallet seeds was for seed for pgp encryption.  Smoketoomuch I never said anything about seeds to you.  I just can't believe that someone else could have used your account back then to setup a transaction. That sounds like bullshit to me.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16557

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2019, 04:20:56 PM

Is there a way technically to reconnect an orphan block with the chain?
No.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀