Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:02:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why should I use Bitcoin instead of Paypal?  (Read 4319 times)
eatrader (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The Crypto Analyst

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:37:43 PM

I am considering writing an article of the advantages of Bitcoin over Paypal. Answering the question "Why should I use Bitcoin instead of Paypal?"  This will serve to help the undecided to take the plunge.

So, why should I use Bitcoin instead of Paypal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Interized

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Coolness: ∞

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:40:15 PM

Plenty of reasons just Google "PayPal sucks".

Gold isn't the answer.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:41:13 PM

Fees
AuroraHF

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:42:50 PM

Fees

This. I had a massive $10 fee for large payment of about $500 which is ridiculous. With Bitcoins I only need to pay like 10 cents if I'm generous. Not to mention there are no charge backs or limitations.

lmao
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:50:22 PM

Plenty of reasons just Google "PayPal sucks".

one reason is: PayPal sucks  Cheesy

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:51:56 PM

1. Low transaction fees
2. No charge-backs
3. No fraud
4. Anonymity
5. No need for adding CC / Bank account
6. No currency conversion fees
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:52:41 PM

Bitcoin appreciates.  PayPal doesn't even appreciate your business enough to stop making it theirs.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:54:48 PM

You thought you have money on your Paypal account? You don't, all you have is numbers, they can freely decide to freeze your funds, all you can do afterwards is to plead them again and again.

Also, it's important to point out, that Paypal personal account is beyond the reach of citizens of certain developed nations(like Japan) see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paypal#Japan , Paypal division in China is also forced to operate in a separate network, in short, all these services branded collectively as Paypal hardly interact with each other, unlike the seamless payment network that is Bitcoin, the purported global accesibility of Paypal is just an illusion.

Finally, Paypal doesn't even offer an escrowing service! Shocking, isn't it?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
lucaso

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:55:04 PM

To be honest I don't think Bitcoin currently is alternative/replacement for Paypal. Both solutions are about cash, but they are slightly different.

First: Paypal is all about local currencies and e-commerce. In e-commerce area bitcoin is light years behind Paypal.
Please note here that Paypal is a layer on top of standard Banking Systems (Credit/Debit cards, Wire transfers), not a standalone solution. In this case Bitcoin as a protocol is Banking System alternative not Paypal itself. For solution like paypal we will need to wait for something built on top of Bitcoin.

Second: Bitcoin is all about independence and full control. Paypal is all about fast cash flow.

We need to remember and take into consideration that currently Bitcoin popularity and value is based on its potential to grow, so "cash/value" in bitcoin circulation is just "investment" of its users. To be honest this "grow potential" is also one of biggest problems of Bitcoin, as it is worthless in context of e-commerce (I assume this would be a major application of bitcoin) as a value tends to change 10 - 30% in one day. So when you are selling shoes for Bitcoin its a bit risky, because tomorrow you can have 30% less "value" in your pocket. Who will take so much risk (SilkRoad clones are excluded) when safer solutions are used (i.e. Paypal)?
eatrader (OP)

The Crypto Analyst

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 12:55:39 PM

Wow.  Keep em coming.  Any real world examples are appreciated as well. I just moved to definately writing the article and will update this thread when I do.
Interized

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:57:08 PM

PayPal doesn't actually have any of the money and becoming a global ponzi scam as more and more people fall victim, but they all say "well eBay.." NO! eBay is shit too they even attacked craigslist for taking away massive amount of business.

PayPal has become evil, literally.  

Gold isn't the answer.
areebmajeed

Activity: 686

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:58:32 PM

Freedom, Availability
FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:06:40 PM

With Bitcoin:

Escrow is optional, and there is competition between escrow services, providing different levels of service.
Currency Exchange is optional, with a choice of exchanges.

If it weren't for ebay, I would not use Paypal.

eatrader (OP)

The Crypto Analyst

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 01:08:55 PM

Fees

This. I had a massive $10 fee for large payment of about $500 which is ridiculous. With Bitcoins I only need to pay like 10 cents if I'm generous. Not to mention there are no charge backs or limitations.

This is interesting.  I have stood that micro transactions are not feasible on Paypal because of minimums. I know u can do "friend" trade but when the world starts using bitcoin to reward for the smallest transactions, Paypal wont be able to compete.
lucaso

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:11:20 PM

PayPal doesn't actually have any of the money and becoming a global ponzi scam as more and more people fall victim, but they all say "well eBay.." NO! eBay is shit too they even attacked craigslist for taking away massive amount of business.

You are wrong here, Paypal have this money, as they are part of a transaction. When you send money from Bank to Paypal, they are part of banking transaction between you, so by law they are obligated to have this money. Paypal is also regulated and audited, so at this "ponzi scam" you are just wrong, of course they can fraud all of that money, but risk is rather small (not bigger than fraud in your bank). I can understand that many bitcoiners are haters of Paypal mentality and business, but such interpretation of Paypal operations is just incorrect.
eatrader (OP)

The Crypto Analyst

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 01:13:38 PM

You thought you have money on your Paypal account? You don't, all you have is numbers, they can freely decide to freeze your funds, all you can do afterwards is to plead them again and again.

Also, it's important to point out, that Paypal personal account is beyond the reach of citizens of certain developed nations(like Japan) see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paypal#Japan , Paypal division in China is also forced to operate in a separate network, in short, all these services branded collectively as Paypal hardly interact with each other, unlike the seamless payment network that is Bitcoin, the purported global accesibility of Paypal is just an illusion.

Finally, Paypal doesn't even offer an escrowing service! Shocking, isn't it?

Without a doubt that is shocking.
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:15:03 PM

here are some reasons why paypall sucks:
-fees
-third party involved
-people can request the money back
-not anonymous
eatrader (OP)

The Crypto Analyst

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 01:15:07 PM

You are wrong here, Paypal have this money, as they are part of a transaction. When you send money from Bank to Paypal, they are part of banking transaction between you, so by law they are obligated to have this money. Paypal is also regulated and audited, so at this "ponzi scam" you are just wrong, of course they can fraud all of that money, but risk is rather small (not bigger than fraud in your bank). I can understand that many bitcoiners are haters of Paypal mentality and business, but such interpretation of Paypal operations is just incorrect.

Do you prefer Paypal?
eatrader (OP)

The Crypto Analyst

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 01:17:26 PM

here are some reasons why paypall sucks:
-fees
-third party involved
-people can request the money back
-not anonymous

Why do I read stories about sellers in a bitcoin transaction being at such risk.  Arent some of these transactions using escrow services?
Interized

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:17:37 PM

Do you prefer Paypal?

I only use PayPal if the business I'm involved in has a bunch of PayPal users.

Otherwise BTC is here to replace banks, currency, and extra (extra) medians for exchange such as PayPal.

Gold isn't the answer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: