Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:24:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 200,000 people apply to be first to live on Mars  (Read 7525 times)
dissident

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:32:28 PM

Tempting but we are not technologically advanced enough yet. If the government does possess anti-gravity technology, they are keeping quiet about it. The ability to set up a sustainable base on the planet that could be used to sustain life I just don't see it happening at this point.. we need a faster way to get there first.

Also having to put up with the same 4 people forever when I don't even like to socialize... what if there's 3 guys and only one woman? Just a recipe for disaster.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:36:50 PM

Tempting but we are not technologically advanced enough yet. If the government does possess anti-gravity technology, they are keeping quiet about it. The ability to set up a sustainable base on the planet that could be used to sustain life I just don't see it happening at this point.. we need a faster way to get there first.

Also having to put up with the same 4 people forever when I don't even like to socialize... what if there's 3 guys and only one woman? Just a recipe for disaster.

It is you lucky day. One of the guy for the Mars mission will be PabloAngela
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=403562.0
tompa555

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:37:05 PM

Are they going to live on Mars or in some technical space house which is going to be placed on Mars ?
as far as i know life on Mars is only possible in sc-fi movies Wink 

♔ PrimeDice.com | The Best Way To Roll ! | Free BTC Faucet | Instant Play & Chat  [Thread] @PrimeDice
Donations are more than welcome: BTC: 19KKRcKJsFVTCzspXvhTYULrAecB7cvJDy DODGE: DP4etPsqasN1y8pkbh8HNiococh7izgEQy
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:53:53 PM

Are they going to live on Mars or in some technical space house which is going to be placed on Mars ?
as far as i know life on Mars is only possible in sc-fi movies Wink 

Based on what we know of technology right now, the first Martian colonists will not survive for long. Even though you could create perfect space housing bubbles, radiation levels is pretty high over there.
But this is the case for any crazy ideas no one believes in. Early adopters are always mocked. With bitcoin you may lose your fiat money, but with those folks, they are willing to make the ultimate bet.

As much as I am amused 200 000 people are "dying" to go to Mars with a one way ticket, I am also very respectful of their decision based on their own life. Ultimate Anarchism I would say.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:38:30 AM

Have some spare bitcoins you’d like to give away but don’t know how? The Mars One Foundation – the private operation hoping to launch a manned mission to mars (a human settlement) — is now accepting bitcoins using BitPay for a  number of perks on Indiegogo, a crowdsourcing platform.

Bitcoin contributions can earn the contributor anything from a mission backstage pass for the equivalent of $10 USD, all the way to being a Mars One benefactor and receiving a VIP tour for the equivalent of $25,000 USD.

But will the project even lift off? With 18 days remaining, the Mars One foundation needs to raise up to $400,000 on Indiegogo, and so far have accrued $143,197. Still, $400,000 seems like a tiny budget for an interplanetary mission — though Mars One says this funding is for the “first major step” of the mission, which entails a lander and satellite mission in four years.

http://newsbtc.com/2014/01/08/mars-one-foundation-accepting-bitcoin-private-manned-mission-mars/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this article is about bitcoin so someone should post about it on the "main bitcoin" forum.
yntro

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:15:27 PM

Why you  would you even live on Mars? Cheesy
we've got a perfectly good Earth right here  Grin

we might use Mars for some mining or stuff but just to live there hmm
it has more disadvantages then advantages I think  Undecided

Go Earth Cheesy

Same here. But I think in future mars could be better place to live in.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:08:54 AM

Just a fancy death sentance

San Miguel de Gualdape
Panfilo de Narvaez
Pensacola
Fort San Juan
Lost Colony of Roanoke

come to mind

If they ever made this happen (which I very much doubt) whoever went would get the honor of being at the top of such a list for Mars.

If I had terminal cancer I would consider going

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:02:03 AM

Just a fancy death sentance

San Miguel de Gualdape
Panfilo de Narvaez
Pensacola
Fort San Juan
Lost Colony of Roanoke

come to mind

If they ever made this happen (which I very much doubt) whoever went would get the honor of being at the top of such a list for Mars.

If I had terminal cancer I would consider going

You forgot James Cook on that list. Maybe he ended up being beef stew for some islanders but that did not stop people from exploring.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:04:08 AM

We have most of the technology.  IMO the hardest part will be raising the money.  Mars One is planning on airing a reality show where they pick the astronauts, so they should be able to get advertising dollars from that.

Overall they have a good plan and I think it is doable.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:10:40 AM

Mars One could be beat by SpaceX...

Elon Musk, the founder and CEO of the private spaceflight company SpaceX, has announced an ambitious plan to colonize Mars by shuttling 80,000 pioneers to the Red Planet at a cost of $500,000 a trip. The first phase of the program, which is contingent on the development of reusable rocket that can take off and land vertically, would start off modestly with only a handful of explorers leaving Earth at a time. But in short order, the self-sustaining population could grow into something far greater.

The announcement was made by the billionaire Musk to an audience at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London on November 16. He was there to talk about his business plans and to receive the Society's gold medal for helping to advance the commercial space industry.

http://io9.com/5963349/spacex-founder-unveils-plan-to-send-80000-people-to-mars
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:16:50 AM

Mars One could be beat by SpaceX...

Elon Musk, the founder and CEO of the private spaceflight company SpaceX, has announced an ambitious plan to colonize Mars by shuttling 80,000 pioneers to the Red Planet at a cost of $500,000 a trip. The first phase of the program, which is contingent on the development of reusable rocket that can take off and land vertically, would start off modestly with only a handful of explorers leaving Earth at a time. But in short order, the self-sustaining population could grow into something far greater.

The announcement was made by the billionaire Musk to an audience at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London on November 16. He was there to talk about his business plans and to receive the Society's gold medal for helping to advance the commercial space industry.

http://io9.com/5963349/spacex-founder-unveils-plan-to-send-80000-people-to-mars

Now, if they could send a house building 3d printer like Contour Crafting and modify it to use local resources, it would speed things up considerably and remove the need to send in living areas or construction materials in the same quantity as a colony would otherwise need. Smiley
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:33:45 AM

We have most of the technology.  IMO the hardest part will be raising the money.  Mars One is planning on airing a reality show where they pick the astronauts, so they should be able to get advertising dollars from that.

Overall they have a good plan and I think it is doable.

Oh, so they are making a reality show out of it? I take it just the audition process to pick them, and not actually following them on-board and shit?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 11:48:05 AM

I signed up.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:05:06 PM

I signed up.

Really?  Grin What made you do it? And did you get selected to the next stage, the 1058 candidates they chose?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 11:15:26 PM

Oh, so they are making a reality show out of it? I take it just the audition process to pick them, and not actually following them on-board and shit?

That is the plan, yes.  Everything is television and monetized.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:51:42 PM

I signed up.

Make sure to share your video with us...
Ceballos

Activity: 621
Merit: 288

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:14:38 AM

Go MarsCoins  Grin

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

██████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:14:33 PM

Why you  would you even live on Mars? Cheesy
we've got a perfectly good Earth right here  Grin

it has more disadvantages then advantages I think  Undecided

Go Earth Cheesy

In about 100 years or so there would be no place to live on earth,living on mars means preparing for the future.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:54:02 PM

Why you  would you even live on Mars? Cheesy
we've got a perfectly good Earth right here  Grin

it has more disadvantages then advantages I think  Undecided

Go Earth Cheesy

In about 100 years or so there would be no place to live on earth,living on mars means preparing for the future.

In 50 years or so Planned Parenthood will be part of the United Nations Security Council for population control to keep this scenario from happening...
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:14:52 AM

I signed up.

Really?  Grin What made you do it? And did you get selected to the next stage, the 1058 candidates they chose?

I figured I was a good candidate for it.

I currently work in Afghanistan living in something the size of half of a truck trailer so I have some experience with living in harsh/confined spaces. My wife passed away last year and we never had any children so I will only be leaving behind family that I hardly ever see anyway.

I have some experience with comms so I could be of some use with the satellite communications and the computer systems.

I also have little confidence in the way the US is headed so I don't plan on returning anyway.

And I would love to be involved in something as historical as being one of the first people on a planet.

I was not chosen however. Perhaps because I would be around 50 by the time the flight was ready and they likely want young people who would be more physically fit.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: