Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:21:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The most convincing information about Bitcoin to bring in friends  (Read 3583 times)
afro25 (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

So you've talked to your friends and mentioned Bitcoin a couple of times, but for the most part they're just confused and in the 'It's a scam'/'You're on another of your money making schemes that never work again' frame of mind...

What do you say to (try to) convince them that it's not just some short term waste of time/money?

I'm always looking out for this kind of thing, which is why i got into it, but my friends aren't the type that would look at bitcoin at first glance and think 'This has real potential', they're more of the 'This is fail...'.

What's the most convincing information you have that doesn't sound as though it's just been pulled out of your ass?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 02:49:54 AM

Try giving them Bitcoins for free :)

amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:04:12 AM

What's the most convincing information you have that doesn't sound as though it's just been pulled out of your ass?

It's the world's first digital cash, which allows people to send million of dollars worth of bitcoin to the other side of the planet instantaneously without having to open a bank account. This creates huge opportunities that will lead to greater adoption of it.

Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:20:28 AM

Wait until you hear them complain about some aspect of the banking system, PayPal, transaction fees, government, etc., and then say "check out bitcoin, it solves a lot of those problems." Then send them to http://www.BitcoinTraining.com for more info.
Electrongolf

Activity: 139

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:34:40 AM

What do you say to (try to) convince them that it's not just some short term waste of time/money?

This is the million dollar question. I have found people don't care about the idea of digital money. It's not sexy.

BTC is a great thing, but there is no specific use (outside of trading) that appeals to regular people. I know you can buy cool stuff, but you can also buy stuff with cash.

The best way to convince someone to use BTC is not to even mention it. Mention the product or service that needs BTC to work.

Example:
"Hey, have you seen service "X"? You should check it out"

*X needs BTC to function.

Bitcoin Harbor

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:42:00 AM

Bitcoins are basically digital cash.  This means several things: 1) you can buy things online without giving out tons of personal information, credit card numbers or access to bank accounts to third parties whose security may or may not be reliable, 2) you can accept them as a small business without paying exorbitant credit card fees, Paypal fees, or other third party charges, 3) they are an international currency, so perfect for the internet. As a real economy grows up around them they will be easy to trade with anyone online, allowing you to avoid unfavorable exchange rates or other inconveniences with exchanging currencies.  

Basically I assume that most people who are skeptical about Bitcoins are more interested in answers to the question "why is there a need?" than "what are they?"  A lot of Bitcoin descriptions are too tech heavy.  For Bitcoin PR to really take off, we need to spend more time talking about how they can benefit the average consumer or small business.  
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 04:49:03 AM

This is the million dollar question. I have found people don't care about the idea of digital money. It's not sexy.

BTC is a great thing, but there is no specific use (outside of trading) that appeals to regular people. I know you can buy cool stuff, but you can also buy stuff with cash.

The best way to convince someone to use BTC is not to even mention it. Mention the product or service that needs BTC to work.

Example:
"Hey, have you seen service "X"? You should check it out"

*X needs BTC to function.

That's exactly why I chose to sell premium coffee exclusively for BTC. I'm hoping everyone who's purchased some shares it with their family and friends, and when they ask, "Where did you get this wonderful coffee?" it will open the door to an enlightening discussion about the joys of a decentralized, peer-to-peer currency.

Still around.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:50:08 AM

You sound like you are trying to recruit people for your MLM.
I don't think this is necessary for bitcoins.
Personally, I would tell people about it, then leave it alone.
If they care to ask about it more sometime, they will.
 Cool

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:53:38 AM

Try giving them Bitcoins for free Smiley

Thats actually the worst idea ever.  I gave my sister and my friend one bit coin for free and they lost them.  Never give your bitcoins away for free hoping to get someone excited about it.  Make them pay you.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:57:06 AM

Have them turn on any television news channel.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 04:57:34 AM

You sound like you are trying to recruit people for your MLM.
I don't think this is necessary for bitcoins.
Personally, I would tell people about it, then leave it alone.
If they care to ask about it more sometime, they will.
 Cool

+1

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 05:22:39 AM

I mentioned bitcoins to a friend to take on as a hobby in response to "what should I take on as a hobby". After I briefly stated "bitcoins!" they replied with "whats that?" this is my response

It is a currency that is limited in amount, just like gold. Its digital so you can send it across the web so there is only a 10 minute wait time(instead of 2-3 days with regular banks). The transactions are tiny so you get more of what you pay for and it is distributed by everyone. Kind of cool huh?

Excellent hook Wink

Edit: oh yeah then at the end of the quote i posted a link to www.WeUseCoins.com
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 05:34:45 AM

speaking soley for myself,

i wouldnt try to bring on friends at this point....BTC is, IMO, still waaaaay to risky to try to convince friends and family to sink their hard earned cash into...ive had a couple of friends ask about it (they caught me staring at the charts) and ive explained it to them in round about terms, but thats as far as it goes.

there are better investments for loved ones to put their cash into IMO...i just dont feel safe at this point reccomending BTC to anyone who hasnt done thier due dilligence in research and/or is naive or unaware of the extreme risk involved with investing in BTC....

that said, if someone does do the research and decides to invest, i certainly wouldnt discourage them...but for now, im not trying to bring new people on until BTC's growing pains have settled out a bit.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 05:54:48 AM

speaking soley for myself,

i wouldnt try to bring on friends at this point....BTC is, IMO, still waaaaay to risky to try to convince friends and family to sink their hard earned cash into...ive had a couple of friends ask about it (they caught me staring at the charts) and ive explained it to them in round about terms, but thats as far as it goes.

there are better investments for loved ones to put their cash into IMO...i just dont feel safe at this point reccomending BTC to anyone who hasnt done thier due dilligence in research and/or is naive or unaware of the extreme risk involved with investing in BTC....

that said, if someone does do the research and decides to invest, i certainly wouldnt discourage them...but for now, im not trying to bring new people on until BTC's growing pains have settled out a bit.

That is a very good point, I've never thought over overly convincing a family member or a friend to have the urge to invest in to it. especially with out knowning the possible consequences of it all
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 05:57:06 AM

It is certainly a difficult task because money isn't useful or a positive force in the world to begin with. Everyone I've tried to evangelize BTC to has been burned by Mybitcoin or plagued with false virus warnings.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 07:40:12 AM

Why do you need to bring in your friends? Would it help validate your interest in bitcoins?

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 08:51:05 AM

Or you could just tell them that it's money for smart people and that they wouldn't be interested.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 09:18:05 AM

Show them the Money Masters video.   Wink

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 10:25:19 AM

Show them the Money Masters video.   Wink

And then the Zeitgeist documentaries.

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 11:12:09 AM

Quote from: bitrebel on Today at 09:18:05 am
Show them the Money Masters video.   

And then the Zeitgeist documentaries.

And perhaps the Money As Debt series.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: