Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:36:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Backing" - what does this actually MEAN?  (Read 8530 times)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:59:00 AM

Why do you guys have such difficulty with the term backing? As I said: The goal of backing is to ensure, that the media of exchange will retain its purchasing power. There is nothing more to discuss, unless you hold the opinion, that the goal of backing is something different.

Why do you have such difficulty with the term 'definition'?
I am not interested in the GOAL of backing. So don't keep telling me what the GOAL of backing is.
I am interested in the DEFINITION of backing. And no, not A definition or YOUR definition, THE definition. And if you want to keep telling me what the definition is, you'd better be prepared to support that. with. a. link!

Anyway, since I've already scooted off to the various dictionaries google provides, there's no need to belabour the point. And the metadiscussion is interesting, it just ain't answering the question I asked. I had been under the impression that the word was a term of art in economics, in the same way that "force" is a very specific term of art in physics, notwithstanding the careless use it may have in the real world.

It is well defined, at least in the branch of economics called austrian. But that branch is not the main, and the whole area is infested with politics and newspeak. We need to have the discussion from time to time, and there will be no consensus.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 10:02:32 AM

Why do you guys have such difficulty with the term backing? As I said: The goal of backing is to ensure, that the media of exchange will retain its purchasing power. There is nothing more to discuss, unless you hold the opinion, that the goal of backing is something different.

Why do you have such difficulty with the term 'definition'?
I am not interested in the GOAL of backing. So don't keep telling me what the GOAL of backing is.
I am interested in the DEFINITION of backing. And no, not A definition or YOUR definition, THE definition. And if you want to keep telling me what the definition is, you'd better be prepared to support that. with. a. link!

Anyway, since I've already scooted off to the various dictionaries google provides, there's no need to belabour the point. And the metadiscussion is interesting, it just ain't answering the question I asked. I had been under the impression that the word was a term of art in economics, in the same way that "force" is a very specific term of art in physics, notwithstanding the careless use it may have in the real world.

I think you chose the wrong place to search for the definition. And I suppose as well that even if you went to some distinguished economists and their works on money theory, you would still find many different understandings and definitions of what backing actually is...

I have expressed my understanding of the term and am quite happy with it, so what are you waiting for?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  

Jump to: