Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:14:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Millions invested in Coinbase. Now what?  (Read 2942 times)
natd (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:18:03 PM

Coinbase got 20mil+ investment today. What  does that mean for BTC?

In search of light in cryptocurrency.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:28:53 PM

"We are averaging 10,000 new customer sign-ups a day..." http://blog.coinbase.com/

In the past I'd be thinking 'if I were an accredited investor I'd be able to get some shares in their IPO someday'... instead I can just buy a Bitcoin today! I'll be using Coinbase this weekend for some holiday shopping. Plan on replacing whatever Bitcoins I spend with a purchase of Bitcoins as soon as I spend them.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:30:40 PM

Not much, just VCs like to invest in new technologies.

dan123

Activity: 55
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 10:51:34 PM

Actually it does have a lot of meaning.  Highly paid people big name VC firms hire to evaluate new technology like it.  This is much better than some blogger or financial writer giving their opinion on why bitcoin will or won't work.
natd (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:57:00 PM

I'm  scared to death to get BTCs and their price going down before exchanging them.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:25:54 PM

Actually it does have a lot of meaning.  Highly paid people big name VC firms hire to evaluate new technology like it.  This is much better than some blogger or financial writer giving their opinion on why bitcoin will or won't work.

Napster raised around $100 million from VCs in 2000, closed a year later...

Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:05:30 AM

I'm  scared to death to get BTCs and their price going down before exchanging them.

I'm scared to death of not getting BTCs before their price goes up.
natd (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:13:25 AM

You've got a point. While ago I bought BTC @ $10. When it got to $110 i sold it all Sad

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:20:44 AM

They believed that they could make a deal with the record labels that would be a massive boon for both parties.  They failed to consider how spiteful, unimaginative and self-destructive the music industry is.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:40:00 AM

If you are always holding 1 bitcoin and replace back to 1 as soon as you spend it, what's there to be scared about?
natd (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:07:57 AM

If you are always holding 1 bitcoin and replace back to 1 as soon as you spend it, what's there to be scared about?

I have to buy more  real merchandise to resell *in dollars*. I don't trade BTC, I sell computers.

dan123

Activity: 55
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:52:17 AM

I'm not saying bitcoin is 100% going to succeed. What I'm saying is there are 1000s of articles out there and people giving opinions on why bitcoins will or won't make it.  The research by big time VCs are going to be much better than the average blogger, "Oh bitcoins are like tulips" article.  It does help the cred when VCs fund it.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:35:37 AM

VC firms take punts all the time. Some pay off, some don't. My question is what  Coinbase needs $25M for? Comfy chairs?  Smiley
kdrop22

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:58:57 AM

VC firms take punts all the time. Some pay off, some don't. My question is what  Coinbase needs $25M for? Comfy chairs?  Smiley

They are probably using it to :
a) Gain regulatory approval in all 50 states
b) Invest in a Sales team(similar to Bitpay) to increase merchant adoption
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 10:47:21 AM

You've got a point. While ago I bought BTC @ $10. When it got to $110 i sold it all Sad
You multiplied your investment by 10, I wouldn't worry about it. I learned about btc when the price was $100 and sold all at $300. Then bought back again around 500  Grin

natd (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 11:00:10 AM

You multiplied your investment by 10, I wouldn't worry about it. I learned about btc when the price was $100 and sold all at $300. Then bought back again around 500  Grin

It's just a wild ride... lol

Behemot

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 11:24:34 AM

If they need investement, they are doing something wrong. With curent trade volume, BTC-E is making something around 10 mio. monthly on fees.

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 11:41:35 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2013, 12:29:36 PM by deisik

If they will be able to sell bitcoins not only to people with the accounts in U.S. banks as it is now but also to banks in other countries as well as fully employ other payment methods (e.g. payment cards), then this will surely have a positive effect on bitcoin. Though I don't really know if the investment they got could actually help them change anything in this respect...

natd (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 11:49:42 AM

If they will be able to sell bitcoins not only to people with the accounts in U.S. banks only as it is now but also to banks in other countries as well as fully employ other payment methods (e.g. payment cards), then this will surely have a positive effect on bitcoin. Though I don't really know if the investment they got could actually help them change anything in this respect...

Why is that? Not enough? How much more would they need, in your opinion?

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 12:20:31 PM

If they will be able to sell bitcoins not only to people with the accounts in U.S. banks only as it is now but also to banks in other countries as well as fully employ other payment methods (e.g. payment cards), then this will surely have a positive effect on bitcoin. Though I don't really know if the investment they got could actually help them change anything in this respect...

Why is that? Not enough? How much more would they need, in your opinion?

I was referring to possible legal problems they might inflict upon themselves from authorities (money laundering, terrorism financing and all that shit). So it is not actually a question of how much...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: