Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcion ATM [video]  (Read 3335 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:31:56 PM

Maybe you could just license + buy one and set it up outside your front door then? Wink

I'm more concerned about:
User interface
and
Physical security

If someone rips open a bitcoin ATM, they cannot jsut steal the money inside, they can also rob the bank (as the ATM will either have a bitcoind node running or at least some credencials to a remote node).

Bitcoin ATMs need built-in guns if people get too touchy-feely.  And a face of Samuel L. Jackon yellin "Nuh Uhhhhh Mothafucka"
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:33:53 PM

Maybe you could just license + buy one and set it up outside your front door then? Wink

User interface
and
Physical security

If someone rips open a bitcoin ATM, they cannot jsut steal the money inside, they can also rob the bank (as the ATM will either have a bitcoind node running or at least some credencials to a remote node).

Bitcoin ATMs need built-in guns if people get too touchy-feely.  And a face of Samuel L. Jackon yellin "Nuh Uhhhhh Mothafucka"

Maybe it can have a sensor that detects movement, and if it does it just shoots the bitcoins to another wallet offline.  It also has 2 stun gun probes that shoot out and take care of the attacker.
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:42:22 PM

I'm not trying to argue that this wouldn't be a favorable endeavor for anyone. I think it's a great idea.

I would just hate for these to cause a flood of users and drain the ATM's account similar to how the bitcoin faucet ended up.

Huh

If you're talking about a flood of users withdrawing cash from it to the point of total depletion on a daily basis (unlikely to happen), that is a direct mark of success to the owner and a sign to put MORE cash into it the next day. Hardly a negative sign.

If you're talking about the internal Bitcoin wallet being depleted, as another user has mentioned, the owner could just send in some Bitcoins automatically if that ever happened.

Don't worry.  Smiley

You seem to be completely disregarding the fact that the owner of the ATM's would have to *purchase* the bitcoins himself. He, unlike traditional ATM's, does not have unlimited funds to throw around.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 08:55:35 PM

I'm not trying to argue that this wouldn't be a favorable endeavor for anyone. I think it's a great idea.

I would just hate for these to cause a flood of users and drain the ATM's account similar to how the bitcoin faucet ended up.

Huh

If you're talking about a flood of users withdrawing cash from it to the point of total depletion on a daily basis (unlikely to happen), that is a direct mark of success to the owner and a sign to put MORE cash into it the next day. Hardly a negative sign.

If you're talking about the internal Bitcoin wallet being depleted, as another user has mentioned, the owner could just send in some Bitcoins automatically if that ever happened.

Don't worry.  Smiley

You seem to be completely disregarding the fact that the owner of the ATM's would have to *purchase* the bitcoins himself. He, unlike traditional ATM's, does not have unlimited funds to throw around.

He has enough funds to buy 250 ATMs
DownloadCoin.com

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 09:21:45 PM

Really exciting stuff, I wonder who funded this...
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 10:18:12 PM

User interface
and
Physical security

It could also be using nothing more than a web gateway API to a trading site that simply pairs keys together, meaning that there is limited damage anyone could do even with total access to the ATM. (Depends on if we're talking deposits or withdrawals)
With total access, you'd get the API key for the exchange site or the backend which means you could fake arbitrarily large deposits/withdrawals.

A real ATM hands the customer a "secret" in form of a credit card + PIN. Here the backend has to trust the ATM 100% that everything it signs is correct.

With a real ATM, you can crack it open and get out some cash - with this ATM you can crack it open, get some cash AND tell the "bank" that you just deposited 1 million USD which should be converted to BTC and sent to your adress of 1banditABCD1234...
Yes, there might be sanity checks etc. but in essence that's my main concern here.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 11:51:57 PM

I hope they're paying close attention to security. ATMs have a long history of being insecure.

Consider this bit of entertainment.
https://media.defcon.org/dc-18/video/DEF%20CON%2018%20Hacking%20Conference%20Presentation%20By%20-%20Barnaby%20Jack%20-%20Jackpotting%20Automated%20Teller%20Machines%20Redux%20-%20Video.m4v

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 12:21:01 AM

If you have a business (store owner) keep the ATM inside the store, wouldn't insurance cover it?

USD/EUR/CAD...etc can be stolen (and insured) but Bitcoins can be password secured.
They can setup the ATM where as soon as the transaction is complete, the users information is whipped.
Almost like a SESSION.

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 01:43:14 AM

User interface
and
Physical security

Maybe it can have a sensor that detects movement, and if it does it just shoots the bitcoins to another wallet offline.  It also has 2 stun gun probes that shoot out and take care of the attacker.

ATM provider would have the private keys to each ATM wallet, so the machine could erase itself upon tamper. How about a mechanically triggered weight that smashes the hd platters? Smiley

NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 01:45:03 AM

User interface
and
Physical security

ATM provider would have the private keys to each ATM wallet, so the machine could erase itself upon tamper. How about a mechanically triggered weight that smashes the hd platters? Smiley
Soak the currency in fuel...

On Tamper...light the currency on fire and shoot the BTC to an offline wallet...

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 02:34:13 AM

User interface
and
Physical security

Buy an ATM yourself (or steal one), check the triggers and mess with every other ATM out there. Roll Eyes

Also I hope there is no HDD inside this thing! ROMs are much better suited for this stuff.

Still noone came up with a viable solution how to prevent someone stealing an ATM, grapping the RAM contents and faking cash deposits.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Andre Jensen (World Bitcoin Exchange)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 12:34:40 PM

i like this idea.
ysoliman

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:26:54 PM

This will revolutionize Bitcoin.
This is an Epic.Win.

Imagine being in a world where you could walk up to a machine and buy "Bitbills".
It would make transferring real money to BTC so much easier and user friendly.

P.S - Use a vending machine stocked with these: http://bitbills.com/

maltaethiron

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

These ATMs should give out half-coin increments in coined bits  Wink  lol
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: