Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:16:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling on localbitcoins.com  (Read 585 times)
dolligan (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:26:07 PM

Hoping I don't have to do it any time soon, but if I need to get some emergency cash out of my coins, localbitcoins.com seems best suited to me - used it for buying a few times and everything has gone very smoothly.
Just wondering how long it takes generally to find a buyer - there seem to be sellers lining up all the time, is it generally a case that you can find someone fairly swiftly if you need to cash out a small amount?
Also do they ask for any id or verification at any point of the selling process?
coreli

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:21:58 AM

They don't ask for any id however be very careful trading on localbitcoins. I've done a number of trades there and the number one type of fraud is stolen bank funds. So the lesson here is to wait at least 7 days after the bank deposit before releasing escrow.

This is of course only if you trade with someone who accepts bank transfer.

Good luck,

dolligan (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 12:44:10 AM

Really? I find that surprising as all of the traders I've bought from on there have released the escrow fairly promptly after I paid them.
How do you mean stolen bank funds? The transfer is non-refundable I think, with standard (uk) bank transfers.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:24:38 AM

Is there any problem with selling larger amounts (say, for 5000€) in person over localbitcoins?

Experiences anybody?
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 03:30:44 AM

Only a problem if you don't meet past armed personnel and metal detectors...

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:56:48 AM

They don't ask for any id however be very careful trading on localbitcoins. I've done a number of trades there and the number one type of fraud is stolen bank funds. So the lesson here is to wait at least 7 days after the bank deposit before releasing escrow.

Good luck,

Explain please.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:10:27 AM

Just wondering how long it takes generally to find a buyer - there seem to be sellers lining up all the time, is it generally a case that you can find someone fairly swiftly if you need to cash out a small amount?
It depends on your reputation and feedback levels.

I don't have any trouble selling any quantity I want, but that's only because I've been build my reputation there since February.
coreli

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:52:16 AM

Good luck,

Explain please.
Sure. Generally people attempting this scam will set their buy prices a fair bit higher than everyone else. I have easily seen anywhere between 25 - 35% the market rate. Here is an example of such a user, https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/Jacopdunn88/feedback
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:12:22 AM

If you worried about stolen money ask Buyer to contact you over phone, and always sell only small amount to new buyers. There is a limit option, you can use that. You can also ask some sort of I'd proof from buyer if amount is large.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: