Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:38:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! struggling to make 6 gpu R9 290 rig to run on windows 7 (SOLVED)  (Read 33605 times)
ollebolls

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:32:53 PM

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

I am having exact same problem, need Windows 8 maybe? Does it work?

I have no experience at all with Linux and there are no easy step by step guides to follow Sad

If you are using 6 of any 200 series cards you have to use linux. The beta drivers you have to use for R9 cards don't support more than 4, even in windows 8. It is a driver limitation, not hardware, as 6 work perfectly fine in linux.

R9 cards won't mine on anything but the 13.11 beta drivers, it's not possible to use modified 79xx series drivers to get 6 working in windows (yet, give it time...)

Five card r9 290x rig running in windows 8.1 is good just had to switch pci latency over

That was posted a long time ago, and you still won't get 6 in wondows.

I can run 3x Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x , 1x Sapphire 280x Toxic, and 1x 7950 in Windows 8.1 just fine, but in Windows 7 I get Code 43 on the 7950 (if I put another 280x in there I still get the Code 43) no matter what I do.  13.11 beta, 13.12 both work in Windows 8.1, but in Windows 7 I can only get 4 cards going.  Fucking sucks.  AMD needs to work this shit out.  And of course, in Win 8.1 my GPU mapping is so screwed up I don't even want to waste my time trying to fix it.

Hey

I noticed that there is an issue running 7950/290 with 280X card in the same rig. The issue lies with the gpu threads setting. Basically both the 7950 and the 290 prefers 1 thread but the 280x prefers 2. Running 290 with 7950 works great, with just different settings on the intensity, shaders and everything else but running with a 280X in the same rig is not something that I would recommend. You can run multiple instances of cgminer on the same rig, but I dont really recommend that either...

I would put the 290 and the 7950 in one rig, and sell the 280X or swap it with another 7950 or a 290 to get a more stable rig.
Also, if you are not using riser cables that are shielded, that could also be an issue with EMI between the cards. You can buy aluminium tape to shield the cables and make sure the cables don't physically touch each other.

Also, remember that the 290 is a quite new card so it requires later versions of drivers, that can also be an issue if you run on older set of drivers, as some other guide sometimes suggest. I.e you have to run this version, with this version of sdk etc. I think that is just bullshit. AMD releases new drivers for a reason, not to make the cards perform worse.

I prefer using the newest drivers, since I have seen they provide the most stable configuration. I run both on Ubuntu and Windows 7 without any issues, but I have heard people having issues with more cards due to EMI or bad riser cables.

I had a really strange issue with one rig, where two of the 290 cards worked fine but the third didnt, and it stopped after a while. I then switched to 1X->16X powered risers, and connected two of the cards to the 1X and one to the 16X and the problem dissappeared.

Check my guide out in the previous post, if you fancy trying Ubuntu and want to run it on a USB stick instead of on a HDD and Windows.

nvandertill

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:52:10 PM

Anyone tried bamt 1.3 for the r9 290s yet? Apparently they implemented a load of fixes to get shit up and running with the r9s. Check it out.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:02:33 PM

Anyone tried bamt 1.3 for the r9 290s yet? Apparently they implemented a load of fixes to get shit up and running with the r9s. Check it out.

Not yet, but I will give it a try tomorrow when a lot more of my 290's show up  Cheesy

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
cryptmebro

Activity: 786
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:12:48 PM

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

I am having exact same problem, need Windows 8 maybe? Does it work?

I have no experience at all with Linux and there are no easy step by step guides to follow Sad

If you are using 6 of any 200 series cards you have to use linux. The beta drivers you have to use for R9 cards don't support more than 4, even in windows 8. It is a driver limitation, not hardware, as 6 work perfectly fine in linux.

R9 cards won't mine on anything but the 13.11 beta drivers, it's not possible to use modified 79xx series drivers to get 6 working in windows (yet, give it time...)

Five card r9 290x rig running in windows 8.1 is good just had to switch pci latency over

That was posted a long time ago, and you still won't get 6 in wondows.

I can run 3x Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x , 1x Sapphire 280x Toxic, and 1x 7950 in Windows 8.1 just fine, but in Windows 7 I get Code 43 on the 7950 (if I put another 280x in there I still get the Code 43) no matter what I do.  13.11 beta, 13.12 both work in Windows 8.1, but in Windows 7 I can only get 4 cards going.  Fucking sucks.  AMD needs to work this shit out.  And of course, in Win 8.1 my GPU mapping is so screwed up I don't even want to waste my time trying to fix it.

Hey

I noticed that there is an issue running 7950/290 with 280X card in the same rig. The issue lies with the gpu threads setting. Basically both the 7950 and the 290 prefers 1 thread but the 280x prefers 2. Running 290 with 7950 works great, with just different settings on the intensity, shaders and everything else but running with a 280X in the same rig is not something that I would recommend. You can run multiple instances of cgminer on the same rig, but I dont really recommend that either...

I would put the 290 and the 7950 in one rig, and sell the 280X or swap it with another 7950 or a 290 to get a more stable rig.
Also, if you are not using riser cables that are shielded, that could also be an issue with EMI between the cards. You can buy aluminium tape to shield the cables and make sure the cables don't physically touch each other.

Also, remember that the 290 is a quite new card so it requires later versions of drivers, that can also be an issue if you run on older set of drivers, as some other guide sometimes suggest. I.e you have to run this version, with this version of sdk etc. I think that is just bullshit. AMD releases new drivers for a reason, not to make the cards perform worse.

I prefer using the newest drivers, since I have seen they provide the most stable configuration. I run both on Ubuntu and Windows 7 without any issues, but I have heard people having issues with more cards due to EMI or bad riser cables.

I had a really strange issue with one rig, where two of the 290 cards worked fine but the third didnt, and it stopped after a while. I then switched to 1X->16X powered risers, and connected two of the cards to the 1X and one to the 16X and the problem dissappeared.

Check my guide out in the previous post, if you fancy trying Ubuntu and want to run it on a USB stick instead of on a HDD and Windows.

Thanks for your reply.

I can run 3 290's and one 280x on the same machine by using the "--device=" command, so that isn't an issue for me.  The issue lies with windows itself.  CGminer won't even recognize the 5th card because windows won't assign it resources.  Windows would only show 4 until I did the trick where you short the pci slot.  I have tried different types of 16x-16x risers and 1x-16x powered risers in different slots and different cards.  I always seem to get the Code 43 in device manager.  Currently, the 7950 has the Code 43.  When I swapped the 7950 out for another 280x from my other system, the 280x picked Code 43, while the original 280x still worked fine.  

It has to be a driver issue because I see people running 6 and 7 cards, and I'm through trying to figure it out.  Everything works fine in windows 8.1 except for my gpu mapping, it's all fucked up so I don't use Win 8.  Not dealing with that.  Hopefully a driver update from AMD will fix the Code 43 in win 7.  I want to call and see if I can speak to someone at AMD who know what's going on, but I don't know if that would get me anywhere.  Over to Linux for now.
cryptmebro

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:14:01 PM

Not yet, but I will give it a try tomorrow when a lot more of my 290's show up  Cheesy

I've tried 2 different USB sticks and can't get them to boot BAMT.  Tried 2 different machines too.  Went through bios boot order as well.
nvandertill

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:16:01 PM

Not yet, but I will give it a try tomorrow when a lot more of my 290's show up  Cheesy

I've tried 2 different USB sticks and can't get them to boot BAMT.  Tried 2 different machines too.  Went through bios boot order as well.

Are they Gigabyte? Gigabyte and BAMT don't play nice I've found.

I hate Gigabyte. I'd rather buy ASRock than Gigabyte.
cryptmebro

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:57:41 PM

ocz and some other brand
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:18:19 PM

It has to be a driver issue because I see people running 6 and 7 cards, and I'm through trying to figure it out.  Everything works fine in windows 8.1 except for my gpu mapping, it's all fucked up so I don't use Win 8.  Not dealing with that.  Hopefully a driver update from AMD will fix the Code 43 in win 7.  I want to call and see if I can speak to someone at AMD who know what's going on, but I don't know if that would get me anywhere.  Over to Linux for now.

I would not count on AMD to release drivers for windows 7 that allow you to run 6 cards. It's not going to happen, not straight from AMD. Why would they? There's really no support for gaming cards, that is the reason the firepro series exists and why they cost so much more for so little relative power, all the $$$ is in drivers and support.

If anything, someone will figure out how to modify the drivers. Right now, Linux will do what you want though.

Also, I don't think nvandertill was asking about the USB thumb drive, but the manuf. of the 290 cards themselves.

Quit jacking with BAMT and go straight to Saucy Salamander!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
cryptmebro

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:24:36 PM

Yeah i have salamander ready to go on a usb stick,  just need to find the time.   Cards are all sapphire.  It boots straight to windows when i put the bamt stick in.  even when i disable the hdd it wont boot,  its like theres nothing on the usb stick at all.
ollebolls

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:39:55 PM

Yeah i have salamander ready to go on a usb stick,  just need to find the time.   Cards are all sapphire.  It boots straight to windows when i put the bamt stick in.  even when i disable the hdd it wont boot,  its like theres nothing on the usb stick at all.

As the previous post said, forget BAMT and go with Ubuntu, there is a link I posted some posts back which contain all you need to set it up on a usb stick.
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:49:02 PM

How did you make the USB drive?

On my MSI boards, to get things going quickly, I unplug the hard drive and plug in the USB disk. Since the bios is set to boot from HDD that no longer exists it boots straight to UEFI bios. Then, I can go to boot settings and select the USB stick by name. It will show us as verbatum, or store and go, or sandisk cruiser etc...

Then, I set that USB as primary, save the bios changes and shut down instead of restarting. Then I just plug the sata drive back in and fire up, worked fine.

Depending on your hardware you may need to change some settings. Common ones are "full/partial USB initilization" usually by fast boot options. Legacy boot options are another option, though you should be able to get UEFI to work. Finally, try other USB ports or even the USB 2.0 headers. You can't boot from USB 3.0 ports on the MSI, apparently, for an example.

Good luck!

cryptmebro

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:17:28 PM

How did you make the USB drive?

On my MSI boards, to get things going quickly, I unplug the hard drive and plug in the USB disk. Since the bios is set to boot from HDD that no longer exists it boots straight to UEFI bios. Then, I can go to boot settings and select the USB stick by name. It will show us as verbatum, or store and go, or sandisk cruiser etc...

Then, I set that USB as primary, save the bios changes and shut down instead of restarting. Then I just plug the sata drive back in and fire up, worked fine.

Depending on your hardware you may need to change some settings. Common ones are "full/partial USB initilization" usually by fast boot options. Legacy boot options are another option, though you should be able to get UEFI to work. Finally, try other USB ports or even the USB 2.0 headers. You can't boot from USB 3.0 ports on the MSI, apparently, for an example.

Good luck!

I can get ubuntu to boot from usb no problem.  I have also gone through bios and selected the usb stick with bamt manully.    I used win32 diskimager and the litecoinr9_1.3.img from the litecointalk forums.   I'm stumped.
liquidsmoke

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:24:27 PM

I'm having the same issues as you with the strange stuck resolution of 640x480 in the adapter settings in windows.

How did you solve this?
Morbid (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:45:41 AM

I'm having the same issues as you with the strange stuck resolution of 640x480 in the adapter settings in windows.

How did you solve this?

i used hdmi to vga adaptor with resistors. you can buy on ebay for about BTC0.0125.
1337chaos

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:25:56 AM

Derp  Grin

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab357/pontiacg5_2010/IMG_20140116_180454_zps49fd0e61.jpg?t=1389917161

Absolutely perfect. No modded cgminer, no modded drivers, no modded anything. Fan speed, clock speeds, and temp display works flawless...

Super easy. Install 13.10, "saucy salamander" then install beta 13.11 drivers released 1/8/13. Then, install cgminer 3.7.2 and go to town.

Haven't "tuned" the cards at all yet. I want 5MH/s from this one rig  Wink

.05btc bounty!!!

So, do you think this is the case even for four? {290x} I'm downloaded Ubuntu now...

I'm having a problem keeping 1 stable with win7, nonetheless four or six.

I have:
Four Sapphire r9 290x cards
GA 990FXA-UD5 [mobo]
AMD FX 4130 4-core 3.8GHz
12GB RAM
1500w Enermax
Four 16 x 16 pci extenders [not powered]
(optical, WD 350gb hdd, Windows 7)

pics of my rig here: https://imgur.com/a/uKm87

Also, this is my first rig and may be missing something obvious to others.
All drivers are installed plus win 7
In the bios, I didn't really do anything. It was already set to boot pcie 1
Not sure what else to do in bios.

When trying just one card:
- I have to try multiple slots multiple times.
- Each time, either windows is scrambled, gets frozen at startup, looks 8-bit and distorted, or no signal, no beep
- when it gets going and looks perfect (1 out of 20 starts), it eventually crashes
- When i try other slots (like the x16 ones), it doesn't even beep once, or does the 1 long, 3 short beeps (gpu code).
- Once I got windows up with 2 cards, but one had an error 43
- I've tried to download the updated catalyst, but as it's installing, when the screen goes black a few times, it eventually never comes back.
- Tried uninstalling the drivers and restarting and installing, but trying to start windows without this driver and using this card is damn near impossible. Did it once though.
- Sometimes windows is going, but the monitor stops and says no signal, but the pc sounds no diff than a second ago...like it's still running win7
- If I try to start with two cards in any slot combo, i get the 1 long, 3 short beeps

.05btc bounty to the one that get's me up and running.

If you don't see it listed above, assume I haven't done it..even if basic

Thanks!!

This is what I did, and two cards are running fully maxed out.

To start-

1. Install the Ubuntu

2. Update Ubuntu fully

3. Download the latest AMD Beta drivers for Linux, and download the fixed CGminer from http://www.ohmpie.com/mining-on-an-r9-290-in-linux/  Do not download anything else.

4. Extract the AMD drivers to your home directory, and extract the Cgminer.

5. I renamed the CGminer folder to just cgminer so it is easier to type in command prompt.

Install AMD drivers-

1. Open up terminal, and check to see if you extracted the AMD drivers to the right spot by typing

ls

2. Once you see the driver file type

sudo chmod +x ./name of your AMD driver

3. To install the drivers type

sudo ./name of your AMD driver

4. Once the installer is finished reboot the PC

Set up CGminer-

1. Open up terminal, and install CGMiner required files.

sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config libtool libncurses5-dev

2. Change to cgminer folder

cd cgminer

3. Export your display settings

export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

4. Check to see if CGminer detects all GPUs, and you can see the temps etc...

./cgminer -n

5. If all your GPUs show up you can go ahead and start mining. I started at a I of 9 to check stability of system

./cgminer --scrypt -o pool address -u workername -p password -I 9

6. If CGminer does not detect all GPUs type

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all -f --initial

Then restart PC

7. Export your display settings again, and retry

./cgminer -n

If all GPUs are detected start mining!

Lastly I recommend that you save a conf file using CGMiner, and you can edit your settings from that file instead of typing a huge command list every time you want to start mining.

For instance I have one set up with all my overclocking settings so I can just ./cgminer -c r9290 and CGminer loads up all my favorite settings.

Refer to the README files in CGminer if get stuck on the CGminer parts.

I've followed this guide, been working at it all day. I've tried the 13.11 beta 9.95 and the 13.12 drivers, did everything perfectly, it's showing all 4 of my 290's in the cgminer devices list when I do ./cgminer -n but as soon as I try to actually mine, the screen goes black and I have to reboot. What driver are you using? What settings are you using? I just cannot get it to do anything.
Morbid (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:36:56 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2016, 04:32:04 PM by Morbid

gonna try this as soon as i get some free time dammit!

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11761.0
scutzi128

Activity: 476
Merit: 283

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 08:20:37 PM

Hey I have 3 machines running windows 8.1 and 6 gpus. 2 of them using 290s and one using 7950s. You may have to presence short your riser or pcie slot (I had to on my z77-ud3h but not my z77 mpower) but as long as you can see the cards in device manager you should be able to get them to work using one of the following methods. For the 290s the key is that you don't use the AMD drivers, use windows update and let that install the drivers for you. For the 7950s I had to use thetechpowerups 13.1 AMD drivers. Also for the 290s I am using 4 nonpowered 1x-16x risers and 2 powered 16x risers and for the 7950s I am using 6 nonpowered 1x-16x risers.
Morbid (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:27:47 AM

Hey I have 3 machines running windows 8.1 and 6 gpus. 2 of them using 290s and one using 7950s. You may have to presence short your riser or pcie slot (I had to on my z77-ud3h but not my z77 mpower) but as long as you can see the cards in device manager you should be able to get them to work using one of the following methods. For the 290s the key is that you don't use the AMD drivers, use windows update and let that install the drivers for you. For the 7950s I had to use thetechpowerups 13.1 AMD drivers. Also for the 290s I am using 4 nonpowered 1x-16x risers and 2 powered 16x risers and for the 7950s I am using 6 nonpowered 1x-16x risers.

thanks for the windows drivers tip. will try that. very tight on spare time recently so im still mining with 5 cards. i know lame.
cryptmebro

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 04:05:00 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2014, 04:51:25 PM by cryptmebro

My issue with Windows 8 is cgminer's gpu mapping.  It's so screwed up I don't think I could possibly fix it with the mapping option within cgminer.   Also, --gpu-reorder doesn't fix it either.  I've reinstalled windows, tried different versions of cgminer, and tried different drivers from amd.  Has anyone else had this issue?  
Morbid (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:45:15 AM

gonna try this as soon as i get some free time dammit!

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11761.120

i can confirm that this method worked for me. now hashing at 4.8Mhps with all 6 cards! thanks to all involved!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: