Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:12:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "China does NOT allow goods/services to be sold/paid for by bitcoin" CEO of btcc  (Read 4227 times)
yomofo (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:17:31 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2013, 04:55:44 PM by yomofo

"but essentially if bitcoin is not a currency in China and china as a state only recognizes one single currency which is the RMB. therefore all merchants, stores and services can only accept the RMB. since bitcoin is not a currency and not a recognized currency so it's actually a logical conclusion that china for now will not allow goods and services to be sold and paid for by bitcoin" Bobby Lee (CEO of BTC China)"
http://youtu.be/rBgQFzyg8pk?t=21m57s

Audience: Goods/services can not be sold in bitcoin. Im wondering if most investors in china are they expecting that to change?
Bobby Lee: So that’s not going to change anytime soon. The government has made it clear that goods/services can not be priced in btc and can not be sold and paid for in btc. So that’s the current stance. All companies under the china law will follow that.
http://youtu.be/rBgQFzyg8pk?t=43m37s

Audience: Can you clarify as whether all merchants are not allowed to accept btc or is it only for existing financial institutions?
Bobby Lee: it’s both. Financial institutions can’t touch it and goods/services are not allowed to be sold or priced in btc. Two different points and they both apply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgQFzyg8pk&feature=youtu.be&t=45m17s

that's an official statement from Bobby Lee of BTC China.  2 follow up questions from the audience answered by Bobby Lee.  This clarifies the future of btc in China's economy.

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 04:20:35 PM

So you're not allowed to trade commodities in China basically?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:33:47 PM

Yep, that's how it is in china right now

But who knows how this will play out in the future

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:34:15 PM

If China can't manipulate it, what's the point?

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
svetbg

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 04:45:50 PM

It actually did not affect the BTC price as several days ago.
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:20:22 PM

I guess Chinese sellers can still use payment gateways that instantly convert bitcoins into RMB and then settle it to merchant's account. Of course prices will be in national currency.

Given that Chinese individuals are free to buy bitcoins and hold them as investment, they are also free to buy any goods for BTC through described above payment platforms.
yomofo (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 05:26:17 PM

I guess Chinese sellers can still use payment gateways that instantly convert bitcoins into RMB and then settle it to merchant's account. Of course prices will be in national currency.

Given that Chinese individuals are free to buy bitcoins and hold them as investment, they are also free to buy any goods for BTC through described above payment platforms.

actually if you listen through the video (i didnt quote it), it removes many bitcoin business models from china.  the government is very clear that they do not want goods/services exchanged for bitcoin.  they are aware of teh bartering rules but i would assume they deliberately omitted mentioning that it's ok to barter.  in China, you don't do things that the government frowns upon, they will put you in prison or execute you.  look up shadow banking in china.

here's some commentary by a chinese citizen that i quoted for a reddit post.  

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1sgjxw/post_by_a_chinese_citizen_on_how_the_china_rally/

Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

actually if you listen through the video (i didnt quote it), it removes many bitcoin business models from china.  the government is very clear that they do not want goods/services exchanged for bitcoin.  they are aware of teh bartering rules but i would assume they deliberately omitted mentioning that it's ok to barter.  in China, you don't do things that the government frowns upon, they will put you in prison or execute you.  look up shadow banking in china.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1sgjxw/post_by_a_chinese_citizen_on_how_the_china_rally/

I thank you for posting this information.

It really shatters (assuming this is true) the myths thus far presented on this forum and elsewhere.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 11:40:28 PM

It appears that the power is highly centralized in chinese government, but in fact the internal conflict is always very strong (Just look at the BoXiLai case)

So far, the attitude towards bitcoin from chinese official organizations are conflicting. On one hand, the official television and media have many possitive reports throughout the year; on the other hand, the banks always give negative view. This can be interpreted as two factions with different interest: Some of the officials want to use bitcoin to move their huge amount of assets to oversea, while banking officials worried about the financial order of their system

Now banking officials started to make resistance for bitcoin, you can imagine, this will affect the other faction which is not satisfied with banking regulations for a long time

So, this other faction might actively searching for other ways to make bitcoin legal, and by doing so they could greatly weaken the power of banking officials in china

Like anywhere in the world, central banks hold too much power, these kind of power is always dangerous from a political point of view, anyone want to have that power, if they see a chance

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:28:35 PM

yeah not good at all but that may change someday. also: even when its not officially allowed, you can do it...

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:34:17 PM

Currently the Bitcoin network simply couldn't cope with huge numbers of transactions (no more than around 7 per second at max. as things stand currently) so I don't think that this will really matter until Bitcoin can actually handle 100's (or better yet 1000's) of txs per second and even though there are some new and interesting ideas being proposed to improve its throughput I think we are probably still at least a couple of years away from it being really "ready".

Letting people use it legally as a store of value (or a stock) is a good enough first step IMO.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 02:27:14 PM

Impressive, this will be very interesting to keep an eye on for the next few years.

China's power is too centralized, a decentralized system like Bitcoin or any number of systems we are building could seriously fragment China's perceived social homogeneity; There are a lot of different ethnic groups, languages, that comprise the Chinese Identity, but are censored from public channels. In essence they hide their diversity possibly to control the population. The combined capabilities is controlled by a central channel limiting change, our system has many heads, arms, eyes, minds, all working independently with a shared goal, independent of the concerted effort, each pod of our internet swarm can react instantly to any change in environment... moving a giant like China is a monolithic task, it will be very interesting to watch the global dynamics develop.

Not a big deal I guess in relation to the price of Bitcoin, Bitcoin will do what it does regardless, speed up transactions, move money faster, allow new innovative businesses to emerge; China will have to play catch up to the rest of the world for once.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:53:00 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2013, 08:47:31 PM by AnonyMint

Bobby Lee said nothing about the conversion of BTC to RMB then handing the RMB to merchant. And he said the demographics are 90% college educated and long-term investment, not for currency, so the following is irrelevant short and medium-term. He said we are developing the ecosystem with customers who are engineers.

The regulation did state that payment companies couldn't work with Bitcoin. The second speaker in your linked video said he expects such regulation to loosen as China loosens their overall RMB currency controls.

In theory merchants can accept RMB and the Bitcoin can be converted at the time of purchase same as for Bitpay. However, we must consider whether such a Bitpay for China would be an exchange or payment service. If you convert your BTC to RMB, then send the RMB as a payment, it seems like two separate functions and could be handled by two different companies interopting in real-time.

So you have an account at BTC China and an account at a payment provider. You link them and set them to interopt in real-time. Problem solved. Regulation adhered to. It is possible that your payment provider won't let you fund directly from an exchange, so your exchange pays the payment provider via a financial instruction, but there is no the reason the two of them can't do the accounting in real-time. Let's say instead the regulation require the customer to withdraw the money to a financial institution in the customer's name, then fund the payment provider. There is still no reason the accounting couldn't be done in real-time, assuming the customer has a balance in his/her account at the financial institution or the payment provider, the transaction could be paid out of that and then exchanged BTC could replish that balance. Or the payment provider can delay payment to the merchant and/or offer chargebacks.

Orthogonally, I am not clear whether barter trade is illegal in China. The statements at the links provided in this thread seem to think barter trade is illegal in China, but they have cited no laws of evidence that is so. Rather it seems there are massive underground economies in China, such as the Shadow banking.

Note that China did ban the use of virtual gaming currencies such as Q Coins for bartering for real goods. But they did not ban people from selling their virtual coins and obtaining RMB. China wants to make sure it knows about and can control all movement of currency. Thus China should not have a problem with converting virtual currencies to RMB and then sending the RMB as payment.

China actually legalized Bitcoin trading as a commodity.

The shorts are trying to talk down the price, so they buy in cheaper, but they don't appear to have the chart on their side.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 09:46:59 PM

All of the analysis thus far and including my prior post, is myopic and ignores the ecosystem networking effects.

The Chinese will own 10s or 100s of $billions perhaps even $trillions of value stored in BTC. Do you really think the market is not going to respond and try to market something to that huge capital base?

For example, the Chinese could go on vacation abroad and spend their BTC.

Or they could buy and sell abroad over the internet, e.g. such as for their homes abroad or running business virtually abroad. Especially they become wealthy investing in BTC.

Also the anonymous altcoin comes along, they leverage their BTC into that.

China is desperate to grow the consumer share of their economy because as http://pettis.com has pointed out, their economy will collapse if they don't. Do you really think they will allow all that consumer business to go abroad? No. The wall is coming down. China is transforming.

Etc.....

China can't put the free market use of Bitcoin back in the bag.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
yomofo (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:42:27 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 04:31:47 AM by yomofo

All of the analysis thus far and including my prior post, is myopic and ignores the ecosystem networking effects.

The Chinese will own 10s or 100s of $billions perhaps even $trillions of value stored in BTC. Do you really think the market is not going to respond and try to market something to that huge capital base?

Or they could buy and sell abroad over the internet, e.g. such as for their homes abroad or running business virtually abroad. Especially they become wealthy investing in BTC.

China is desperate to grow the consumer share of their economy because as http://pettis.com has pointed out, their economy will collapse if they don't. Do you really think they will allow all that consumer business to go abroad? No. The wall is coming down. China is transforming.

Etc.....

and your analysis is wrong this time.

http://tech.sina.com.cn/it/2013-12-17/01139011174.shtml#483253-tsina-1-18627-1cf60a7c37a7bc296a2ba7aba0120190

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1t15hy/this_is_much_worse_than_dec_5_conformation_and/

3. People's Bank of China banned all the third party payment company doing business related to bitcoin, including bitcoin exchange platforms.
For those who is currently doing, they are required to completely cut off bitcoin related business by the Chinese new year, which is at the end of Jan 2014.

After Dec 5, small merchants or online shop owner could still accept bitcoin as payment and comfortably convert them to rmb through exchange like btcchina. In the future , this is going to be much harder and completely illegal after the Chinese new year. Basically, bitcoin is dead in China for the most part. People can only use it as speculative investment and store of value, but it is going to very hard for them to realize their potential profit legally in the future.

my personal prediction on the future of the btc economy in China made on Dec 9, 2013.

My personal opinion is that China is in not going to have a robust bitcoin economy anywhere in the medium or long term future.

China currently has a $50k USD restrictions on the amount of money its citizens can take out of the country. Bitcoin with its anonymous nature can easily by pass these restrictions. yeah i know there's AML/ KYC rules set up for BTCchina now but i know that if btc becomes a widely circulated "commodity" in exchange for services and goods that it will be easier to launder and hide illicit gains in bitcoin than it would be to hide them yuan. http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2011/11/11/getting-cash-money-rmb-out-of-china.html
if citizens in China start using btc as a "commodity" in exchange for services and goods that would threaten the stability of the chinese yuan. it certainly would not raise the value of the yuan. i don't see how the chinese govt would encourage this to happen.

the Chinese banks are banned from offering services/goods in bitcoin. that was NOT a good sign. it certainly wont make it easier to start bitcoin related businesses in china. Baidu/China Telecom's immediate removal of btc as a payment option following the offical govt announcement was NOT a good sign. i don't know how anybody can spin those actions as a positive for bitcoin.
i also don't believe that bitcoin is booming in China because it's citizens believe in it as an alternative currency. I believe the price skyrocketed due to greed and pure speculation. take a look at the 2010 China Garlic Bubble where in a few months the price of garlic rose 40-50x due to pure speculation, price manipulation and hoarding. Sound familiar to bitcoin in China? http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121125739

Plenty of redditors have claimed that China would be supportive of btc because it would devalue the US dollar and raise it's own yuan in value for foreign trade. that's highly unlikely since the Yuan is already the #2 most used currency for foreign trade in the world. China is about to start direct trade with the UK in yuan/pounds. the daily global trade in Chinese Yuan is over $120 billion which is 10x the market cap of bitcoin.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-03/yuan-passes-euro-to-be-second-most-used-trade-finance-currency.html
China is a quasi-totalitarian regime that has no qualms about crushing any form of rebellion (labour camps for journalists, tiananmen square, human rights violations, highest # of executions in the world). Bitcoin by its very nature is designed to give the power back to its people, its users. China's entire recent history is about controlling it's people.

tldr: bitcoin gives freedom and power to the Chinese citizens, the chinese government is realizes this and will move to prevent China from ever having a robust btc economy where btc will be widely traded for services/goods. Chinese citizens have a history of participating in mass speculative bubbles without caring about the fundamental value.

Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:23:09 PM

If the rumors are indeed true, then this is problematic. Not so much because China is all but out, but also because this same thing can (and may) happen in Europe and the US.

If banks are forbidden to transfer money out to exchanges or transfer money from exchanges, the price of Bitcoin will drop in the teens.

But, hey, Bitcoin has always been a non-establishment system. We do not need banks.

lindatess

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:59:47 PM

Yeah, I read about the Garlic Bubble a few years ago. There was also an iodine bubble in China when Fukashima collapsed.

AnonyMint

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:33:54 AM

You are not factoring in the network effects that will accumulate from just a small amount of Bitcoin activity in China, because that will still be $10s or $100s of billions of market scale.

This will overpower anything the government can contend with. We will build real anonymity and sidestep the government's power.

Etc.....

and your analysis is wrong this time.

http://tech.sina.com.cn/it/2013-12-17/01139011174.shtml#483253-tsina-1-18627-1cf60a7c37a7bc296a2ba7aba0120190

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1t15hy/this_is_much_worse_than_dec_5_conformation_and/

3. People's Bank of China banned all the third party payment company doing business related to bitcoin, including bitcoin exchange platforms.
For those who is currently doing, they are required to completely cut off bitcoin related business by the Chinese new year, which is at the end of Jan 2014.

After Dec 5, small merchants or online shop owner could still accept bitcoin as payment and comfortably convert them to rmb through exchange like btcchina. In the future , this is going to be much harder and completely illegal after the Chinese new year. Basically, bitcoin is dead in China for the most part. People can only use it as speculative investment and store of value, but it is going to very hard for them to realize their potential profit legally in the future.

my personal prediction on the future of the btc economy in China made on Dec 9, 2013.

My personal opinion is that China is in not going to have a robust bitcoin economy anywhere in the medium or long term future.

China currently has a $50k USD restrictions on the amount of money its citizens can take out of the country. Bitcoin with its anonymous nature can easily by pass these restrictions. yeah i know there's AML/ KYC rules set up for BTCchina now but i know that if btc becomes a widely circulated "commodity" in exchange for services and goods that it will be easier to launder and hide illicit gains in bitcoin than it would be to hide them yuan. http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2011/11/11/getting-cash-money-rmb-out-of-china.html
if citizens in China start using btc as a "commodity" in exchange for services and goods that would threaten the stability of the chinese yuan. it certainly would not raise the value of the yuan. i don't see how the chinese govt would encourage this to happen.

the Chinese banks are banned from offering services/goods in bitcoin. that was NOT a good sign. it certainly wont make it easier to start bitcoin related businesses in china. Baidu/China Telecom's immediate removal of btc as a payment option following the offical govt announcement was NOT a good sign. i don't know how anybody can spin those actions as a positive for bitcoin.
i also don't believe that bitcoin is booming in China because it's citizens believe in it as an alternative currency. I believe the price skyrocketed due to greed and pure speculation. take a look at the 2010 China Garlic Bubble where in a few months the price of garlic rose 40-50x due to pure speculation, price manipulation and hoarding. Sound familiar to bitcoin in China? http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121125739

Plenty of redditors have claimed that China would be supportive of btc because it would devalue the US dollar and raise it's own yuan in value for foreign trade. that's highly unlikely since the Yuan is already the #2 most used currency for foreign trade in the world. China is about to start direct trade with the UK in yuan/pounds. the daily global trade in Chinese Yuan is over $120 billion which is 10x the market cap of bitcoin.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-03/yuan-passes-euro-to-be-second-most-used-trade-finance-currency.html
China is a quasi-totalitarian regime that has no qualms about crushing any form of rebellion (labour camps for journalists, tiananmen square, human rights violations, highest # of executions in the world). Bitcoin by its very nature is designed to give the power back to its people, its users. China's entire recent history is about controlling it's people.

tldr: bitcoin gives freedom and power to the Chinese citizens, the chinese government is realizes this and will move to prevent China from ever having a robust btc economy where btc will be widely traded for services/goods. Chinese citizens have a history of participating in mass speculative bubbles without caring about the fundamental value.

AnonyMint

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:34:26 AM

We will build real anonymity and sidestep the government's power.

More on that:

It isn't FUD.  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

It's real, alipay and the other payment providers and financial institutions are not allowed to deal with the bitcoin exchanges anymore.

I told you guys the legal document was open for interpretation.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358368.0;all

Financial institutions deal with currency, and the Chinese government wants to keep it that way.

Bitcoin Exchanges and related companies deal with Bitcoin, and the Chinese government wants to proceed this way.

It's only clarification of separation between THESE businesses, not Bitcoin in general.

Agreed. A big part of the motivation is probably to stem potential capital flight out of China via bitcoin. Not there was likely much of that going on, but the gov probably wants to get out ahead of matters. Which means eliminating layers of financial intermediaries that could obscure identity (hence why "payment processors" might not be allowed to interact with bitcoin exchanges, but banks are ok).

All in all, it will probably indeed dampen the mania to some degree, but it's by no means as hostile as many are making it out to be.

Bingo!

Good to see you all are starting to understand finally.

For the record, we can fully expect governments everywhere to demand the equivalent of AML/KYC, which is more or less what this China action likely amounts to (though more rigidly). That AML/KYC status-quo permeates the global financial system; not just the US.

Yes and they will collect capital gains and/or VAT taxes on Bitcoin appreciation as an investment even if you are trying to use it as a currency (medium-of-exchange), thus it can not be a currency.

But developers of altcoins will rise to the opportunity and create truly anonymous coins. Anoncoin isn't it. Bitcoin isn't it. I will soon publish a whitepaper to explain why.

In short, you need to understand that Chaum mix-nets (e.g. Tor) are vulnerable to timing attacks, and even honeypotting given only 3 hops. They NSA and spy agencies in each country are likely still able to track your identity much of the time. And VPNs are likely all controlled/backdoored/hacked/rooted by the NSA. And exchanging through mixers and altcoins does not obscure your IP address no matter how many times you do it. Also even across these proxies, your identity is tracked in other ways such as browser plugins trojans, cookies, patterns of internet uses such as favored search terms, facbook et al tracking the way you type, etc..

Even if you are one of the lucky few who manages to keep your anonymity assured by careful mix of the above methods, the point is the majority will not. And thus it is very simple for the government to make your anonymous coins practically unspendable and useless. The government simply sends a tax bill and put criminal liability for all activity on a coin since mining until present, until those non-anonymous coins holders (or former holders) can provide the identity of whom they bought from and sold to.

Thus all users will become afraid and only accept coins and sell coins from those who provide their complete identity. Thus only a coin with widespread assured anonymity would be able to become a currency and remain immune to government control.

So clearly you can see that you never will have anonymity with Bitcoin nor any current altcoins. Thus Bitcoin and the current altcoins can never be currencies (unless the governments take them over somehow and make them legal tender), and the government will essentially control them.

Note one means anonymity I proposed thus far are a new way to do physical crypto-coins.

stompix
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 6291

Blackjack.fun

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:42:25 AM

Can somebody tell me , are merchants banned from using Bitpay also?
Because they are not selling their products for Bitcoins , they are selling them for $.
It's the same as accepting a foreign credit card with a different currency , isn't it?

Ups , I missed the "priced in BTC| part.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████