Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:26:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Probability Calculation and market predictions.  (Read 17087 times)
ranger (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:34:07 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here. I just started mining with HD6870 using the OpenCL miner. I'm doing about 210Mhash/sec, which according to the probability calculator (http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php) means that on average I should generate a block about every 8 days.

Instead, I have generated 3 blocks in about 4 days. This can mean two things: 1. I'm extremely lucky, or 2. the rate calculator is not quite right.

This discovery has got me thinking, if Bitcoins can be generated this quickly by just a single PC, doesn't that make the bitcoin market very unstable and likely to collapse? The more people learn about bitcoins, the more will be generated. Supply will increase, the value will go down. I'm talking about the bitcoin/USD exchange rate here, which seems rather volatile. I've read a lot of posts here on the forum by people who support bitcoin with all their heart (as do I!), who are predicting the exchange rate to soar the coming year. That seems rather impossible to me, considering how fast the coins are going to be generated from now on. I realize the system balances itself by increasing the difficulty factor, but the next devaluation is still 90000 blocks away, and who knows what that will do to the market.

Any thoughts?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:36:08 PM

I seem to remember that the difficulty adjusts every 2016 blocks, not ever 90k+ blocks. The frequent adjustments of the difficulty should be enough to stop what you are saying could happen.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:38:11 PM

You were just lucky with your generated blocks. Generations are highly variable. When you have a long dry spell without a block (which you will), just look back and remember that there were good times too.

As theGECK said, the generation difficulty factor adjusts every 2016 blocks (every couple of weeks). The adjustment in 90,000 blocks will be to the payout rate, from 50 to 25 BTC per block, which is a tapering-off so that generation of new coins will eventually stop.
ranger (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:42:26 PM

Since we're on the topic, another question: how is the difficulty level managed? Is it just coded into the clients so they know to increase the difficulty level by themselves? What if a client doesn't increase their difficulty and calculates an easy block instead? Will the network reject it?

Also, I'm wondering just how lucky I was, since that's basically 3 blocks after another being generated in less than average time. If the chance of finding a block with my calculation rate in 2days were 10%, then the chance of finding 3 blocks this quickly would be less than 0.1%. Quite strange if you ask me.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:45:43 PM

Since we're on the topic, another question: how is the difficulty level managed? Is it just coded into the clients so they know to increase the difficulty level by themselves? What if a client doesn't increase their difficulty and calculates an easy block instead? Will the network reject it?
The difficulty is determined by the network by analyzing how long it took to generate 2016 blocks. The ideal is 14 days, so if it takes shorter than this, and it usually does, the difficulty will rise accordingly.
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:48:51 PM

the chance of finding 3 blocks this quickly would be less than 0.1%
If there are a thousand people generating, someone's likely to have a 0.1% experience. This was your turn. Don't worry, you're unlikely to find the next three so quickly.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:49:27 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here. I just started mining with HD6870 using the OpenCL miner. I'm doing about 210Mhash/sec, which according to the probability calculator (http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php) means that on average I should generate a block about every 8 days.

Instead, I have generated 3 blocks in about 4 days. This can mean two things: 1. I'm extremely lucky, or 2. the rate calculator is not quite right.

You were lucky.  In 3-4 days, my 1000 Mhash/sec generated no blocks.

It's a lottery.

Over time you should see the statistical average, but right now your sample size is tiny.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 07:49:50 PM

Also, I'm wondering just how lucky I was, since that's basically 3 blocks after another being generated in less than average time. If the chance of finding a block with my calculation rate in 2days were 10%, then the chance of finding 3 blocks this quickly would be less than 0.1%. Quite strange if you ask me.

You were lucky but not that lucky. The probability is described by Poisson distribution. The probability of getting at least 3 blocks when only 0.5 were expected on average is 1.4%
http://stattrek.com/Tables/Poisson.aspx

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
ranger (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 08:45:25 PM

That's pretty interesting. So I'm less lucky than I thought, and the calculation was correct. That's good news then, since it's not entirely unlikely for me to expect a similar result in the future Wink

I tried to summarize what I know about bitcoins and bitcoin mining on my blog. Would welcome some feedback: http://rheide.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/thoughts-on-bitcoin-mining/
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 08:51:38 PM

You wrote in the article that "eventually everyone will hit the jackpot". I think it's important not to raise people's expectations too high. Already, you need a GPU to have a reliable chance of generating blocks. And the difficulty is likely to keep rising. Many of those who are generating with a CPU will never generate a block.
ranger (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 11:49:08 PM

You wrote in the article that "eventually everyone will hit the jackpot". I think it's important not to raise people's expectations too high. Already, you need a GPU to have a reliable chance of generating blocks. And the difficulty is likely to keep rising. Many of those who are generating with a CPU will never generate a block.

Thanks. I added a note about it.
ranger (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 12:03:03 AM

Also, one more question. The wiki here (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Target) says that 'the network' decides the next target for each round. Who is 'the network'? Am I correct in understanding that each client analyzes the past block chain and then decides for itself what the next target will be? I feel there's still a gap in my understanding between the network acknowledging what constitutes a 'winning' hash and that hash actually being converted into tangible (well..) bitcoins.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 04:58:02 AM

Also, one more question. The wiki here (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Target) says that 'the network' decides the next target for each round. Who is 'the network'? Am I correct in understanding that each client analyzes the past block chain and then decides for itself what the next target will be? I feel there's still a gap in my understanding between the network acknowledging what constitutes a 'winning' hash and that hash actually being converted into tangible (well..) bitcoins.

Yes, that is exactly true, but only on certain block numbers where that is allowed - once every 2016 blocks.  If you are the miner that mines one of those blocks, your calculation of difficulty is the one that sticks.  It is saved in the block itself, and everybody uses it for the next 2016 blocks.

What converts the block into bitcoins is... each miner is constantly attempting to hash a block of all the most recent transactions, plus an acknowledgment of the latest block, plus a brand new transaction that gives 50 new btc to himself.  So every miner is trying to hash a different "version" of the most recent block...one that pays himself the reward.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitk

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 09:12:44 PM

To me, the calculator looks off by a 10% factor or more.
It's expected value is higher of what I get on slush's pool, and since the pool is meant to get your throughput (almost) at the expected value, it's either something wrong with me and the pool, or an over optimistic calculator.
Also, I went mining for about 5 days, with an expected 3 days of payout, but I found nothing. But that sounded perfectly normal to my ears.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 09:55:26 PM

It's expected value is higher of what I get on slush's pool, and since the pool is meant to get your throughput (almost) at the expected value, it's either something wrong with me and the pool, or an over optimistic calculator.
Also, I went mining for about 5 days, with an expected 3 days of payout, but I found nothing. But that sounded perfectly normal to my ears.

Slush keeps the 10% for himself

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 09:57:20 PM

You mean he keeps more than the advised 2% ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:05:26 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2011, 12:00:58 AM by Raulo

You mean he keeps more than the advised 2% ?

No, it means caucasius is not aware variability can be that high.

Slush's pool has some daily variability. Bad day for the pool, and your mining income can be 20% lower.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
slush
Legendary

Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 10:06:29 PM

1) My pool keeps 2%, not 10%
2) Mining is still probabilistic, even in the pool. Even pool have bad or good days.
3) There were some outages, because keep getwork based pool up is quite difficult. This also cut the daily reward
4) I don't know your hashrate, but score based system makes pool mining more probabilistic than share based. If you have poor hashrate, you still might be more unlucky.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 02:47:21 AM

the chance of finding 3 blocks this quickly would be less than 0.1%
If there are a thousand people generating, someone's likely to have a 0.1% experience. This was your turn. Don't worry, you're unlikely to find the next three so quickly.

If you play the lottery I am sure your chance of winning is much worse than 0.1% but people still win.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ranger (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 10:44:16 AM

Being confronted with not finding any coins for days, I can't help but think about reasons why I haven't found them. I keep thinking that perhaps if I restart the client more often, or restart my PC, or erase my entire Bitcoin folder and start from scratch, that I'll find as much coins as I did in the beginning.

I know that all of that does not make any sense based on the things I know about bitcoins. The system simply doesn't (shouldn't?) work that way, technically. But has anyone actually tried this? I wonder if people have their own 'good luck charms' - eg. actions that you perform that makes you think that you'll find bitcoins faster. Thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: