Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 04:04:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dont drink and bitcoin.  (Read 2733 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:04:49 AM

I was drinking vodka one night last week and took a paper wallet out of the safe to look at the address on blockchain.info.

Lets just say I now laminate the paper for easy cleaning after the vodka came back up while I was trying to concentrate on getting the correct address.

That is all.

Have you ever been drunk/high and done something with your bitcoins that you shouldn't ?

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:22:22 AM

I was drinking vodka one night last week and took a paper wallet out of the safe to look at the address on blockchain.info.

Lets just say I now laminate the paper for easy cleaning after the vodka came back up while I was trying to concentrate on getting the correct address.

That is all.

Have you ever been drunk/high and done something with your bitcoins that you shouldn't ?
You are probably the first guy that puked on his BTC. As they say, there's a first time for everything  Grin

Ch1bi

Activity: 289
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:28:27 AM

That is all.

Haha funny storyand no never happened to me. If it ever does (let's hope it doesn't) I'll remember this story  Grin

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:32:16 AM

How much did you lose?
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:34:53 AM

could u recover them ??
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:41:36 AM

How much did you lose?

Luckily I didnt pass out afterwards so I managed to wipe the paper clean. I just had to print more copies and laminate them in case of future drinking sessions. In retrospect buying the vodka with a gift card purchased with bitcoins was an unwise investment decision lol.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:42:20 AM

That is all.

You are probably the first guy that puked on his BTC. As they say, there's a first time for everything  Grin

I should create the vanity address 1Puke  lol

mistress_magpie

Activity: 126

Retired from the mistressing business

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:42:45 AM

Lol!

Possibly a drunkproof safe that makes you do simple maths problems before it releases the lock?

1MEuWAgzeArG9sittnqhuTHkMtgvirZvuS
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:46:28 AM

Lol!

Possibly a drunkproof safe that makes you do simple maths problems before it releases the lock?

You would think remembering the combination would be all the proof of work you need, but no Tongue

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:48:54 AM

I need a bitcoin wallet I can stick in the freezer that takes a few hours to thaw out before use. By the time it does you can rethink your purchase decisions....

I did this with a credit card one time and it worked surprisingly well.

mistress_magpie

Activity: 126

Retired from the mistressing business

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:56:20 AM

That's a classic - and indeed it works! Yet another reason to laminate your bitcoins Smiley

1MEuWAgzeArG9sittnqhuTHkMtgvirZvuS
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:05:01 AM

That is all.

I should create the vanity address 1Puke  lol

1MoreVodka
TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:19:55 AM

That is all.

Being tired is almost the same as being drunk in terms of lack of concentration.

Once I sent coins to the wrong dude, and I didn't have any contact information. After a whole lot of research I finally found his mothers phone number and called her, and luckily he was present, and immediately agreed to move the bitcoins back to me.

Another time a friend of mine sent bitcoins to a wrong wallet, but I had anticipated it could happen, so I always stored old wallets on a backup for exactly those purposes, and I was able to pull out the old wallet, load it and reclaim the coins.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:23:19 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2013, 01:42:27 PM by bryant.coleman

Being tired is almost the same as being drunk in terms of lack of concentration.

Once I sent coins to the wrong dude, and I didn't have any contact information. After a whole lot of research I finally found his mothers phone number and called her, and luckily he was present, and immediately agreed to move the bitcoins back to me.

You got the coins back because the guy was honest. This sort of behavior is extremely rare in the Bitcoin sector. I have even heard of an incident where a handicapped man was robbed of his Bitcoins (He was there to exchange his coins for USD. But the other guy took the coins, and walked away without bothering to pay up).
TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:36:46 AM

You got the coins back because the guy was honest. This sort of behavior is extremely rare in the Bitcoin sector. I have even heard of an incident where a handicapped man was robbed of his Bitcoins (He was there to exchange his coins for USD. But the other guy took the coins, and waled away without bothering to pay up).

Well, I had the name of the dude and his bank account number, and he lived in the same country as me, so eventually if I'd not been able to track him (which actually was quite difficult, despite having his name), I would've contacted the bank, and if that didn't work out, I'd contact the police to have them help getting his contact info. Not sure how that'd turn out, but luckily he was honest and did return the coins.

Edit: Also, I would've been able to actually find his address, so if he didn't pay - I would've actually gone there to convince him it was the only right thing to do. But since he paid up without a hitch, there was no reason to initiate any of the emergency plans.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 04:55:36 AM

You got the coins back because the guy was honest. This sort of behavior is extremely rare in the Bitcoin sector. I have even heard of an incident where a handicapped man was robbed of his Bitcoins (He was there to exchange his coins for USD. But the other guy took the coins, and waled away without bothering to pay up).

Thats cold bro.

Cryptolator

Activity: 508

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:24:32 AM

Funny story ! Tongue
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 08:30:26 AM

I'm guilty of some "enhanced" trading...after a few losses I quit doing that  Cheesy

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:52:11 PM

I need a bitcoin wallet I can stick in the freezer that takes a few hours to thaw out before use. By the time it does you can rethink your purchase decisions....
I did this with a credit card one time and it worked surprisingly well.
Laminate the paper wallet, put it in some opaque liquid and freeze it.
No way to read it until it thaws. Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:03:09 PM

Don't feel bad. I was drinking a lot of bourbon a couple days ago. Right as I was about to pass out in bed, I got a request to release escrow. Normally, I'd just wait until the morning, but I was using caffeinated liquid flavor enhancer and apparently decided I was of sound-enough mind. I sent the BTC.... to the wrong address. I quickly deleted mempool in Armory, which completely fcked it up and was too late to prevent the broadcast. Needing to make up for my mistake, I then re-sent the BTC from personal funds. By this point, Armory was completely confused and hadn't registered the transactions internally. Did a rescan and rebuild overnight, and only in the morning did I realize that for the second time, I sent funds to the same wrong address... again. So I recently had to change USD to BTC on Bitfinex to pay out. Guy I accidentally sent to has been non-responsive.

Absolutely the dumbest way I've ever lost $3k. I'd only just started drinking again because my mood improved and I wasn't worried about it becoming some kind of crutch. Now I'm off alcohol for the rest of my life, I think.

ETA: I remember now I also got a call from Craig from Bees Brothers when I finished sending off $3k to a black hole. I have no idea what I said to him. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: